Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I am using them since launch week daily for a few hours. I didn't notice a change in tips and I still pass fit test. I typically listen at a volume between 30% to 60%.

Abrucks

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
i was having the test fail issue since about 48 hours after getting the pods. I noticed the left one didn’t seem to work as well as the right one. Went to the Apple store and they replaced the left pod only. Took the large tip from my original pod and put it on the new one. (Replacements only come with medium). The new left pod then passed the fit test with the original tip for 24 hours. The Apple store rep mentioned the new pod would was still running the old firmware. I wonder if that is what causes the fault. Perhaps once the left pod updated its software is when it began to fail.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
i was having the test fail issue since about 48 hours after getting the pods. I noticed the left one didn’t seem to work as well as the right one. Went to the Apple store and they replaced the left pod only. Took the large tip from my original pod and put it on the new one. (Replacements only come with medium). The new left pod then passed the fit test with the original tip for 24 hours. The Apple store rep mentioned the new pod would was still running the old firmware. I wonder if that is what causes the fault. Perhaps once the left pod updated its software is when it began to fail.
Mine failed on the old software As well.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
The tips deteriorating seems very unlikely to me. I’m hoping it’s a firmware issue (and sorry the latest firmware update didn’t fix it). I’m worried, on the other hand, that the interior microphones fail after a short period of time causing the test to fail. I wish Apple would address. To me the fit feels unchanged, and the sound and ANC feel about the same.

I’m still interested in whether others find that the fit test passes when the earphones are new, but then starts failing consistently after a few days.

Yes. That's a common theme throughout this thread and my experience as well.

xExtra

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Miami FL
Day 1 pair here, came from Gen 1.

I began using the Pro’s with the default medium tips that passed the test perfectly, everything was fine until the very negative reaction to ANC giving me headaches and specifically right ear thump and soreness.

I then switched my tips to the small size and the pain went away after a week, they passed the ear tip test and became by default the ideal fit.

Several AirPods and iOS firmware updates later I thought everything was alright until I felt like more noise was being brought in through my right ear when using ANC and the AirPod coming a bit loose at times, so I look very fidgety adjusting it almost all the time.

Today I tried the test once again and low and behold I was told to switch tips. Went back to the medium size and it passed, but now it STILL feels like more noise is being let in through the right ear, and again to reiterate, I’m not a fan of the medium fit.

So I have several options on the table. I’m considering either buying third-party foam tips, taking it into an Apple Store to see if this is a defective issue, or seeing if I can buy a Gen 2 pair of AirPods (or wait for Gen 3/Pro Gen 2’s) and selling my Pros, 14 days have obviously passed so I can’t exchange or return them anyways.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
Yep. On my third set. The third set gets the green seal every time since I got them a week ago. Fingers crossed.

After exchanging the APpro the second time because: first passing seal-test then after more than 1 week failing first 1 than both AP I found out:
The bone-conduction is less on the new ones. When I walked to the Apple-Store with the "old" ones I could hear the footfall(sound) like with common inEars. On the way back from the Store with the "new" ones the footfalls where not noticable!

It seams that the internal technic/micros that are responsible to avoid bone-conduction

->An inward-facing microphone listens inside your ear for unwanted sound, which is also eliminated with anti-noise.

-> and also the inner adaptation to the geometry of your ear and the fit of the ear tips

tend to fail after a time.

The seal-test is only the indicator of the truely defect.

Last edited:

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
After exchanging the APpro the second time because: first passing seal-test then after more than 1 week failing first 1 than both AP I found out:
The bone-conduction is less on the new ones. When I walked to the Apple-Store with the "old" ones I could hear the footfall(sound) like with common inEars. On the way back from the Store with the "new" ones the footfalls where not noticable!

It seams that the internal technic/micros that are responsible to avoid bone-conduction

->An inward-facing microphone listens inside your ear for unwanted sound, which is also eliminated with anti-noise.

-> and also the inner adaptation to the geometry of your ear and the fit of the ear tips

tend to fall after some time.

Cmdr

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019

tend to fall out after a time.

I am an engineer and tend to agree. When the AirPods were new, the structure-borne sound wasn’t picked up by the internal mic. Same goes for the replacement AirPod. When you touch the AirPods while they are inside your ear and in operation, you can hear the noise that is produced as there is a discrepancy between what the mic picks up and what is emitted through the speaker.

Small dirt and sweat particles might also block the vent grids, thus changing the reference pressure and sound that reaches the microphones. The mic that is used for audio recording still sounds good, no noise or other artifacts on the recordings.

In the beginning I had hoped that it would be the tips, even if that meant that they degraded very quickly. At least that would have been fixable. I have ruled them out though.

The problem doesn’t occur with brand new AirPods and then sets in within a few hours or few days. If it is dirt or sweat in the vent covers, it is a massive design failure, as they would be impossible to clean.

If the mics are failing, it is a disaster for Apple, because it will affect every single AirPod. It would not only explain why the test fails, but also the sudden lack of bass and overall audio quality, as the anti-noise is generated and piped into the speaker based upon the signal the mics pick up.

If anybody has received a recent replacement and not having the issue for several days of usage m, please look up the hardware revision in General -> Info -> AirPods Pro and post it here. If there is already a version > 1.0.0 then Apple might have already addressed the problem. I doubt it though, as there is no statement yet.

It’s not the tips and not your ear. I tested a new and “old” AirPod with old and new tips seconds apart. New one sounds better and seals, old one doesn’t.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
If there is already a version > 1.0.0 then Apple might have already addressed the problem.
…second exchange unit: still 1.0.0 – I claim for myself as discoverer of the failing intern micro issue like: inward-facing microphone-gate (better than seal-test-gate because its a hardware issue with a real defect concerning sound-adaptation and bone-conduction).

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
If the mics are failing, it is a disaster for Apple, because it will affect every single AirPod. It would not only explain why the test fails, but also the sudden lack of bass and overall audio quality, as the anti-noise is generated and piped into the speaker based upon the signal the mics pick up.
But if the mics are failing then wouldn’t this have registered under UAT. They must have had hundreds of Apple employees testing the product for months before release

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
If your failing the seal test try this. Slightly apply pressure on the AP's while performing the test. Just a tiny bit of pressure passes the test. Not sure what it means though.

Poder

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Hi, Ive been using them since launch day, testing them regularly for the fit test. Test is always OK, I use the large tips.

Reactions: asfalloth

hesoba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2017
I dont know the issue with this. Do y'all mean that your seal test fails after weeks because of failing mics ?

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Mine passed on launch day, and several times after. I tried them this morning and the right one failed with original medium tip, large tip, and the a replacement medium tip that arrived in the mail today.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
I dont know the issue with this. Do y'all mean that your seal test fails after weeks because of failing mics ?
yep - there may be one causality – vice versa the (here often reported after some time) failing seal-test may be an indicator of a defect (not only wrong test-algorhythm or software issue or silicon-material-issue…).

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
My replacement pros arrive in Thursday so will check the firmware and hardware release numbers. I never had any sealing issues with the large tips but I withheld them when I sent my last Pros back and I have a spare set from a retail store so when my replacements arrive, I shall run the seal test with all three sets of large tips. I am expecting them to all pass initially.
If they all pass then I know the tips and hardware are good and I will use just one set over the next few weeks and if that set starts to fail, I will try a different pair and if they fail then I know it’s definitely hardware and if they seal then it’s tip deterioration

Reactions: oli

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
So how come everyone isn't experiencing 'tip deterioration'? Mine fit the same as Day 1.

What is the need for the ear tip fit test after you initially get them? It's almost as if you're intentionally trying to get this little software gimmick to fail by doing it over and over again.

No one needed their phone to tell them if their earbuds fit a few weeks ago (noise cancelling or not). I find this bizarre.

Last edited:

Kai Hawaii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
yep - there may be one causality – vice versa the (here often reported after some time) failing seal-test may be an indicator of a defect (not only wrong test-algorhythm or software issue or silicon-material-issue…).

I had the same experience, day one seal good, all green. After some hours first the left one fails the test then the right one too. Tried all diff sizes.

But when my wife wears the same pair it pass the seal test, all green.
Then that’s not an hardware issue.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
So how come everyone isn't experiencing 'tip deterioration'? Mine fit the same as Day 1.

What is the need for the ear tip fit test after you initially get them? It's almost as if you're intentionally trying to get this little software gimmick to fail by doing it over and over again.

No one needed their phone to tell them if their earbuds fit a few weeks ago (noise cancelling or not). I find this bizarre.
I agree. Once you determine which size fits no need for further testing. The tips aren’t deteriorating.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
My replacement pros arrive in Thursday so will check the firmware and hardware release numbers. I never had any sealing issues with the large tips but I withheld them when I sent my last Pros back and I have a spare set from a retail store so when my replacements arrive, I shall run the seal test with all three sets of large tips. I am expecting them to all pass initially.
If they all pass then I know the tips and hardware are good and I will use just one set over the next few weeks and if that set starts to fail, I will try a different pair and if they fail then I know it’s definitely hardware and if they seal then it’s tip deterioration

This may be a good examination…

Cmdr

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
For those who ask why one would run the test more than once after initial setup: The test’s purpose is to test for a good seal. A minimum amount of seal is required to reach the audio quality that the product is designed to produce. That is important for reproducing lower frequencies as well as preventing noise leaking into the ear and bypassing the mics.

I did some testing with replacement AirPods and “old” AirPods. In order to prevent a placebo effect, which is very common in the world of Hi-Fi, I tested the pairs blindly and had another person write down the results. I also tested different tip configurations (old AirPod + new tip; new AirPod + old tip etc).

I repeated the tests 5 times for each configuration.

The results are clear:

The new AirPod always had a seal, with a brand new tip or with an old one that failed the test before on an old AirPod.

The old AirPod failed the test with a new AND old tip.

5/5 times I would rate the audio quality better (better bass and ANC performance) in case of a new AirPod with new tips. The test showed a good seal.

5/5 times I would rate the audio quality better (better bass and ANC performance) in case of a new AirPod with old tips. The test showed a good seal in all cases as well.

I would rate the bass and ANC performance worse when testing the old AirPods, both with new and old tips. The fit test would fail in all cases.

So, it’s not the tips. It’s not the ear that suddenly changes. Something causes the fit test to fail after about a day or so of usage and the audio quality, mainly bass reproduction and anti-noise generation to drop.

The only explanations that come to mind are: blockage of the vents or degrading microphones. The physical seal of the ear canal doesn’t change.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
For those who ask why one would run the test more than once after initial setup: The test’s purpose is to test for a good seal. A minimum amount of seal is required to reach the audio quality that the product is designed to produce. That is important for reproducing lower frequencies as well as preventing noise leaking into the ear and bypassing the mics.

I did some testing with replacement AirPods and “old” AirPods. In order to prevent a placebo effect, which is very common in the world of Hi-Fi, I tested the pairs blindly and had another person write down the results. I also tested different tip configurations (old AirPod + new tip; new AirPod + old tip etc).

The results are clear:

The new AirPod always had a seal, with a brand new tip or with an old one that failed the test before on an old AirPod.

5/5 times I would rate the audio quality better (better bass and ANC performance) in case of a new AirPod with new tips. The test showed a good seal.

5/5 times I would rate the audio quality better (better bass and ANC performance) in case of a new AirPod with old tips. The test showed a good seal in all cases as well.

I would rate the bass and ANC performance worse when testing the old AirPods, both with new and old tips. The fit test would fail in all cases.

So, it’s not the tips. It’s not the ear that suddenly changes. Something causes the fit test to fail after about a day or so of usage and the audio quality, mainly bass reproduction and anti-noise generation to drop.

The only explanations that come to mind are: blockage of the vents or degrading microphones. The physical seal of the ear canal doesn’t change.
So are you saying that this is definitely hardware failure and for those who run the seal test regularly or detect deterioration of quality of sound , Apple can expect hundreds of thousands or possibly millions of returns for poor hardware design/failure?

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
But if the mics are failing then wouldn’t this have registered under UAT. They must have had hundreds of Apple employees testing the product for months before release

Given Apple's software bug issues over the past several years, I wouldn't be too confident in their UAT, regression or other validation related testing processes.
[automerge]1574795887[/automerge]

The results are clear:

Wow! Great information. I think you're on to something here. Unfortunately, it looks as if there's a hardware/design issue.

Anything to add on the experience with the new AirPods Pro after a few days? Do they still pass the test?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.