Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zahni

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
I'am very disappointed. The large tips are worked for me (a bit too large, but ok).
But after some hours of outside use (walking / running), the fit test now failing and ANC only working a bit.
I found the socket is getting loose. I can move the tip left and right. This is the source for the failed seal.
The unused smaller ones are still sitting tight.
Apple, this a bad design.

Microtard64

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019
Went to exchange them and 2 other customers were doing the same. Running 13.2. The demo vs they had worked fine
I purchased a set of AirPods Pro on the day they became available in store. I personally had problems with them. The noise reduction seemed to work sometimes and just stop working and then start working again. Sometimes better in one ear than the other. I found the Ear Tip Fit Test and ran it. Both sides indicated failure. Long story short, I tried every possible combination of tip sizes and was never able to get both to pass the Ear Tip Fit Test. Left would pass and right would fail. I would adjust the right and then the right would pass and the left would fail. Out of frustration I took them into the Apple Store where I purchased them. They had me try the demo pair (which was pre-installed with medium tips on left and right). I paired the store demo AirPods Pro with my iPhone and placed them into my ear. They passed both left and right immediately. I switched to the small tips and tried again. Both sides passed immediately. I switched to the large ear tips and repeated the test. Both sides passed on the first try. I placed the medium demo tips onto my personal AirPods and tried the test 10 times. It failed every single time despite adjusting and pressing them into my ears between tries. At the end of the Genius session - the very nice Apple Store employee took a new pair off the shelf and exchanged them for my bad pair. It was clear that the original pair had some type of issue. If you are having trouble getting your AirPods Pros to pass the Ear Tip Fit Test, I would take them back and exchange them. They are probably defective. I am so happy that Apple fixed the problem as soon as I took it to them.

Reactions: John dosh

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Let us know if it stays this way over time. I’ve exchanged two pairs and after about a day of use it starts to degrade.

also, I’ve noticed sometimes feedback when pressing on the side of the AirPod. Could this be damaging the microphones?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Not sure if the behaviour on mine explains a hardware issue; they are intermittently failing the tip seal test, as in the one side fails the test, then a few hours later it passes. And this is happening daily :confused:

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Not sure if the behaviour on mine explains a hardware issue; they are intermittently failing the tip seal test, as in the one side fails the test, then a few hours later it passes. And this is happening daily :confused:

This feels like something Apple will never actually address.

Ken Gilson

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019
I seem to be having some issues getting a seal with the set I just bought today. By no means do they have that air-tight sealed feeling I’m accustomed to with IEMs; however mine passed the fit test with every size of the included tips. They sound very good save for a lack in bass response, and the ANC still seems to work well. With the “venting” of these, should they still feel as “sealed” as your typical IEM? Because I can’t get them to seal like that for the life of me; instead they seem to be relatively snugly sitting in my ears with none of the suction or microphonics typically indicative of a good seal.

Cmdr

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
The new replacement AirPods sadly fail the test as well now. First the left one, shortly followed by the right one. The order isn’t a pattern, I (and others) had the other way around before (first right, then left).

Given Apple's software bug issues over the past several years, I wouldn't be too confident in their UAT, regression or other validation related testing processes.
[automerge]1574795887[/automerge]

Wow! Great information. I think you're on to something here. Unfortunately, it looks as if there's a hardware/design issue.

Anything to add on the experience with the new AirPods Pro after a few days? Do they still pass the test?

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I seem to be having some issues getting a seal with the set I just bought today. By no means do they have that air-tight sealed feeling I’m accustomed to with IEMs; however mine passed the fit test with every size of the included tips. They sound very good save for a lack in bass response, and the ANC still seems to work well. With the “venting” of these, should they still feel as “sealed” as your typical IEM? Because I can’t get them to seal like that for the life of me; instead they seem to be relatively snugly sitting in my ears with none of the suction or microphonics typically indicative of a good seal.
They sit at the ear canal. They don’t go into the canal.

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
I agree. Once you determine which size fits no need for further testing. The tips aren’t deteriorating.

I think the emerging consensus here is that it's not the tips, but the internal mics, which may become cluttered with micro debris, relatively soon after initial purchase and use, etc.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I think the emerging consensus here is that it's not the tips, but the internal mics, which may become cluttered with micro debris, relatively soon after initial purchase and use, etc.
Its possible but, I’m not totally convinced. How does one explain the seal test failing out of the box? Could be the internal mics are marginal from the factory.

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
Its possible but, I’m not totally convinced. How does one explain the seal test failing out of the box? Could be the internal mics are marginal from the factory.

In those cases perhaps the APPs just aren't for some people's ears. Fair question though.

However, as Cmdr recently posted, he's tried new APPs with new and old tips and the seal test is passed. Neither tips will work with a pair of APPs that are several days or weeks old.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
So my third set of replacements arrived today. Firmware upgrade happened in a matter of seconds when i put them on charge. Swopped the tips to a spare large set that i was using with my previous Pros and i knew were working. It failed the seal test with the right ear, so i took the tip off the pod, turned it inside out and then flipped it back, put it in my ear and tried again and got a perfect seal five times running on both ears. I shall use these over the next week or so. If they start failing i shall use another pair of large tips as i have three pairs of those. If those fail then i shall try the third pair. If those fail then it has to be hardware.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Just found something very interesting. I was switching between Noice cancelling and off and couldn't hear much difference and noise cancelling didn't seem to block out the sound of the tv in the background. According to the software, I had a good seal but I could hardly any difference between Noise cancelling and Off. Plus the volume didn't seem as high as it did on my previous pro's. I adjusted the tips in my ears several times and passed the seal test each time but performance very disappointing.
So before thinking i had another defective set, I swopped the large tips out for another pair of large tips which immediately passed the seal test much the same as the first set but the difference with the replacement tips was astonishing. Noise cancelling was 100% better, playing music at 50% was louder than 80% with the initial tips.
I think that some of the issues can be down to the quality of the tips or the fact that they can deteriate over a short space of time.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
When I return an Apple product I tell the CSR the problem I’m having and they just take it back without question and don’t record the reason for return. If they don’t record the reason for return, how will Apple ever correct the failings of their products.

Three60guy

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
After reading this thread I have noticed something that has not been mentioned.

The tips appear to be round at the point of connection to the Airpod Pro. But they are not round. They are slightly oval in shape. I noticed, if one is not careful to insert the tips properly to match the oval of the tip to the oval of the AirPod Pro a insecure connection can be made. I noticed after changing from a medium size to the larger size I thought I had heard a good snap indicating a good fit. I made this to just one Airpod (left) and not both of them. Suddenly the left ear felt like there was noticeably less bass and noise cancellation wasn't working properly. I went back to the tip just inserted and lo and behold it came off fairly easily. That is when I noticed that the shape of the tip and Airpod are oval and not round. I aligned them and them inserted them back together. After a quick listen everything was back in good order again.

I hope this is of help to someone.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Unless one gets a 100% air seal they are useless for sound cancelling. My large Bose Quiet Comforts really do work - but they really are LARGE. Hence the initial attraction of the Air Pod Pro.

Apple must urgently work on a better design of ear cup Attachment. Perhaps a funnel shape one can wedge in? Not all ear canals are at the same angle - DUH!

It was embarrassing to see the Genius bloke demonstrate that his own Air Pod Pros didn’t work either.

I can't get a "good seal" according to the Fit Test, but the noise cancelling is still pretty good. Go figure...
[automerge]1574898965[/automerge]
I tried all size caps on each ear pod and cannot get an air seal. They work - air seal - if I press hard on each one and hold them in so the problem is not a mechanism failure. I made one ear pod work and seal after an hour of struggle. How? By angle adjustment and twisting the pod hither and thither and fiddling about. I left the one I made work in and changed the other one’s cap size, leaving the working one in and tested again - both then showed a seal failure.

It is quite obvious that the ear cap seals are not designed for all ears! Also they work and fail once one moves ones head or moves one’s jaw which, given the poor fit, releases the tenuous air seal.
Went back to Apple genius and he gave me a demo of his .... shock horror - his failed to seal and work either.

THEY GAVE ME A TOTAL REFUND.

It seems to me that they need to get better ear cap fittings. Unless you get a total seal the whole purpose of them is defeated.

I suggest we are at the Guineas pig testing stage. WAIT before buying is my advice.

I just got two pairs of large ear tips at Apple today. They already told me I could return the Airpods Pro (I'm out of the official return period) if the new tips didn't work.
[automerge]1574899231[/automerge]
I just picked up a pair at local Apple store! Just went thru the setup and worked fine for me with the tips that were on it. Think they sound great so far still playing around with them.

My first set of Pros gave me a good seal for a couple days. My second set gave me a good seal for about an hour. Today I picked up 2 pairs of large tips and can't get a good seal with them at all.

Last edited:

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
What was the big deal with using foam tips? most high end brands give you the option of using either silicon or foam tips.

I bought a set of Sony WF-1000XM3s the other night. They include 7 pairs of mixed silicon/silicon foam hybrid tips. Still couldn't get a good seal with any of them, so I returned them and bought a set of Sony WH-1000XM3 over-the-ear headphones.
[automerge]1574899970[/automerge]
Ones they are used they don’t seal anymore. 2nd pair went back to the store as well.

The brand new tips I got at the Apple store today wouldn't seal at all.

soniasim

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I don’t think the test is the issue. I notice when my AirPods start to loose and that is confirmed then by the test.

The real issue for me is that they do not stay as the first few days. I think tips are too thin and soft that have lost a bit of shape and grip.

I am one of those, too. I was super excited the first two days I had them. They were so good and as this was my first experience with noise canceling earphones, I was literally wowed.

The third day was totally different.

I had read here in the forums yours and other's posts, about how the cups would stop staying in after some time and that was exactly the case for me.

The first two days, I would wear them and no matter what I did, even eating etc, they stayed in and totally sealed.

The third day, every 5 minutes I had to resecure them because I was feeling them starting to get loose, no matter how much I pushed them in.

The result was, that at some point I got busy and forgot about it and then out of the blue, the left earphone fell off my ear to the ground, causing a big bump. I got so mad, especially, because I had already read about this problem here, but I thought if I didn't try them, I wouldn't know for sure.

I sold them for a lower price and got back to my trustworthy Airpods 1st Gen that I never had a problem with.

Zahni

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Same here: The large tips are ok for. But, after some day, they no longer hold in place and they begin to falling out. I had now changed to the middle size, which are now staying in place.. But with a bad seal.
I had already ordered an replacement.
I think, the tips are not sweat proof.

Reactions: ATC and soniasim

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Same here: The large tips are ok for. But, after some day, they no longer hold in place and they begin to falling out. I had now changed to the middle size, which are now staying in place.. But with a bad seal.
I had already ordered an replacement.
I think, the tips are not sweat proof.
Yep, I'm of the same opinion now too. IMHO the silicone tip material, shape and texture are not ideal for rigorous activity especially when sweating. They become too slippery and work themselves out of my ears, no matter the tip size I use, to the point where the seal breaks - and so ANC is gone and sound quality takes a dive. I have to constantly push them back in which is inconvenient and frankly a PITA.

Thankfully I'm in the extended holiday return window so I have till Jan 8 to decide. I just ordered a pair of PBP, will have them next week. I plan to compare them side by side during workouts. At this point I'm more than willing to trade ANC for a pair that stays in my ears during workouts.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Yep, I'm of the same opinion now too. IMHO the silicone tip material, shape and texture are not ideal for rigorous activity especially when sweating. They become too slippery and work themselves out of my ears, no matter the tip size I use, to the point where the seal breaks - and so ANC is gone and sound quality takes a dive. I have to constantly push them back in which is inconvenient and frankly a PITA.

Thankfully I'm in the extended holiday return window so I have till Jan 8 to decide. I just ordered a pair of PBP, will have them next week. I plan to compare them side by side during workouts. At this point I'm more than willing to trade ANC for a pair that stays in my ears during workouts.
Meh, I'm trying to figure mine out too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATC

Zahni

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Now I had got my replacement APPs. I can compare now the old with the fresh tips. The old tips are feeling slippery compared to the fresh tips.

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
The 2nd Exchange APpro work for 1 week without any problems, the sealtest is still positive, the in-directed micro this time until now did not fail. As a precaution, I do not use the APpro when doing sports on the vibration mat - it may be that the technique is sensitive - you can also try it, if after sport or a defect occurs. A (then occurring) fail of the sealtest / "pass test" should be an indication ...

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
The 2nd Exchange APpro work for 1 week without any problems, the sealtest is still positive, the in-directed micro this time until now did not fail. As a precaution, I do not use the APpro when doing sports on the vibration mat - it may be that the technique is sensitive - you can also try it, if after sport or a defect occurs. A (then occurring) fail of the sealtest / "pass test" should be an indication ...
My replacement Pro's are now 8 days old. No issues with the seal test. Its not always right the first time but repositioning the left or right and then it passes.
I cleaned the pods and tips this morning with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip and might be a coincidence but I got the best NC seal yet afterwards. Could hardly hear a thing in the outside world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.