Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
New firmware available!! 2B588 has just been released! It’s seems to address the glitch and other connectivity issue. Let’s test it!! So far the glitches seems to be fixed once for good.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
That' very hopeful. Mine still shows 2B584. Any way to force update?
It's one of those aspects about the AirPods and their firmware updates that Apple neglected. I believe, which is the norm for almost every other Bluetooth earbud, that Apple should have provided notification/progress of the firmware update, notification/progress of the installation, and user agree/disagreement to install the update. It's rather obnoxious and one aspect of we know what's better for you than you do with the product. Yeah, alright. Just like my HomePod brick by their 13.2 software release; let's see what happens with some of the cultists if they release an earbuds firmware which bricks, even in a scenario that could have been avoided, if the user were made aware.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
That' very hopeful. Mine still shows 2B584. Any way to force update?

It’s just a matter of time. Try again later. Keep App connected to power cable, near Iphone, for about 30minutes.

Keep us update!

I also hope that this upgrade fix the weird behavior I experimented a couple of time: the mode stayed stuck on transparency on the last selected with no chance to change it .

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
It’s just a matter of time. Try again later. Keep App connected to power cable, near Iphone, for about 30minutes.

Keep us update!

I also hope that this upgrade fix the weird behavior I experimented a couple of time: the mode stayed stuck on transparency on the last selected with no chance to change it .

Ok, that was fast. I only just now updated to iOS 13.2.2. When that installed, the APP firmware was 2B588.

Hopefully this fixes it. It seems the issue happens more frequently when I haven't used the pods for a few hours, or overnight. So I won't know for sure for absolute sure for another day or two.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Ok, that was fast. I only just now updated to iOS 13.2.2. When that installed, the APP firmware was 2B588.

Hopefully this fixes it. It seems the issue happens more frequently when I haven't used the pods for a few hours, or overnight. So I won't know for sure for absolute sure for another day or two.
I know this is an APP thread but it shares the same H1 chip as GEN2. Guess, it's not getting any love to fix the exact same problem the APP were experiencing but before the APP were even released.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Seems to have fixed it for me. Previously seemed to do it every time I saw that image. Now it’s not doing at all.

Note that there were no noticeable performance issues for me on the previous version.

le_81

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
When I noticed the new firmware, I still saw the red exclamation.
I removed pairing, reset the APP and reset my network settings.
After that I re-paired my APP and I actually couldn’t initially see any exclamations whatever I did.

But after a while (5min of removing and putting the airpod in the case) I noticed the “dance” again, but without the red exclamations.
But eventually I now am seeing the red exclamations again....

Sad, it really looked promising...

But it feels even more that this is just a software issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: inductive_o

shuravko

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
Glitch that a few of us had with the exclamation is fixed in this firmware update. I’m out.

it’s not fixed. This bug is easily reproducible if you put partially charged AirPods into case and try to remove and put back one of them afterwards.

Reactions: le_81

Tommy Hewitt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
it’s not fixed. This bug is easily reproducible if you put partially charged AirPods into case and try to remove and put back one of them afterwards.

For me it's definitely fixed. Can't get the exclamation mark pop up anymore.

Lazy-Joe

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
Hi guys,

I just got the Airpods Pro here in germany and I have the exact problem too.
Red exclamations marks. But my left "speaker" shows also strange power percentages that doesn't seem right. Other than that they are working great.

le_81

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
The same exclamation issue is seen when you remove both Airpods Pro from the case and then add them back.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Naaaah. The issue has popped out again, just once, vs every time of the other days. It happens when you have your pods under 89% of charge and you put them in the case again.

Lazy-Joe

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
Tthats funny, the left speaker is always in the power percentage far behind the right one, usually 40% vs 100%, then If I open the airpods case it's goes up immediately until it has reached 100% just like the right one, and all that just in a couple seconds...so I guess its really a software bug.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Seems the firmware update has solved the visual red exclamation issue for me. It did it once, right after the update when removing them from the case yesterday. Since then, nothing so far. Been in and out of the case a few times, after using them on some work calls, and a couple of hours of listening to music while working.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Seems the firmware update has solved the visual red exclamation issue for me. It did it once, right after the update when removing them from the case yesterday. Since then, nothing so far. Been in and out of the case a few times, after using them on some work calls, and a couple of hours of listening to music while working.
Give it time.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I am not experiencing that issue. The pop up always appears as expected.

New firmware, same old issue.

Does anyone notice that when the issue manifests itself, the popup doesn't show when opening the case and bringing it near the phone?

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
New firmware, same old issue.

Does anyone notice that when the issue manifests itself, the popup doesn't show when opening the case and bringing it near the phone?
On the GEN2, which the APP has the same H1 chip, I notice it occur mostly whenever the APs and case are fully charged at 100% and/or connected to the charging cable, opening the lid to cause the pop-up notice, and the glitch mostly occurs in that scenario. However, it's not the only one and is never consistent. Which is why this is very difficult to track to a particular set of steps for reproduction.

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
It wasn’t hard to reproduce. Have an empty case, use charge cable or not, open the lid, pop one in, wait about 5 seconds and drop the second. If it doesn’t pop up close and open lid.

did it on command every time. If it’s happening across multiple OS, multiple hardware, but not affecting charge or pairing, it’ll be a simple fix

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Give it time.

Been three days since the firmware update, and numerous times in and out of the case for charging and use, and so far, 0 red dance issues...Doesn't appear anymore when connecting with either my iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro. All my devices are updated to IOS 13.2.2 & 10.15.1...

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
Nope, I’m with aloper. I use mine 3x daily and since the update zero. I’ve tried every trick on both my systems and can’t do it. I could produce it on command wired and not, every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.