Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Mine still do it with the latest firmware. I guess it’s hit or miss. My Gen 1&2 both do it and everything works as it should. I’m not concerned. In fact, I didn’t know about it until I came to this thread. I take my pods out of the case, place in ears, take pods out when finished listening , put them in case and never see it. it’s a none issue to me.

wibbley

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
I came to use mine yesterday and the right airpod seems to be dead. With both in the charging case the case just flashes amber. Resetting doesn’t help. If I take one of the AirPods out the light will go green. I can see the right AirPods says it’s at 100% charge, but if I take it out the case it immediately disconnects. I think the battery might be dead or faulty. I raised a support ticket with Apple and they’re sending me out a replacement pair.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Still exists on GEN2. Perhaps, the iOS 13.2.3 update will resolve the problem, instead of a firmware release.

Eh...it occurred on 13.2.3. But, whether a placebo or not, it seems like it was much more difficult to get the red exclamation mark this time, even when trying to reproduce with removals/inserts to the case. So, unsure at this point if it is for GEN2 on the newest iOS.

Last edited:

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
FYI - I made a genius bar appointment for this issue. When the "genius" found me, I didn't have to say a thing. He said "Gen 1 AP, no problems. Gen 2, ok at first but then new firmware released, and lots of connectivity issues. Then APP released, and same connectivity issues". All this without me even describing my issue.

So, Apple is acutely aware of the problem. It is NOT software. No idea as to fix yet.

Reactions: arn

dvtoever

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Is it possible that the connectivity issues start appearing once you pair the Airpods to more/other devices besides your iPhone? Just bought a new pair of APP and will only pair them with my phone. So far so good with latest firmware

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Is it possible that the connectivity issues start appearing once you pair the Airpods to more/other devices besides your iPhone? Just bought a new pair of APP and will only pair them with my phone. So far so good with latest firmware
AirPods profiles are pushed to other iCloud connected devices for the same ID. Do you only have one device for the iCloud account signed into your iPhone?

dvtoever

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
AirPods profiles are pushed to other iCloud connected devices for the same ID. Do you only have one device for the iCloud account signed into your iPhone?

I have a macbook as well that is using the same iCloud account, however I decided to not connect my new Airpods Pro to my macbook (yet) because I am affraid I might get the connectivity issues again. It feels as if my previous airpods pro (which were connected to my iPhone and my Macbook) had trouble deciding which device to connect to

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I still get these occasionally with the latest firmware, but given there's no actual issue caused I'm not too bothered. They pay seamlessly with my iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro and different Apple TVs in the house so I'm not seeing this as an "issue" at the moment.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
So, Apple is acutely aware of the problem. It is NOT software. No idea as to fix yet.

they said it's not software? so an hardware problem? if so, that's a REAL issue.

the funny thing is that even the display model have the same issue!

SO, as per my experience, 4/4 same problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dopestar

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I have a macbook as well that is using the same iCloud account, however I decided to not connect my new Airpods Pro to my macbook (yet) because I am affraid I might get the connectivity issues again. It feels as if my previous airpods pro (which were connected to my iPhone and my Macbook) had trouble deciding which device to connect to
It doesn't matter if you ever manually connected the AirPods to a device yourself. The profile for the AirPods is pushed to the iCloud connected devices automatically after the initial pairing of the AirPods to one of the iCloud connected devices.
Hence, why when you connect the AP to your iPhone, other iCloud logged in devices will receive the profile for switching, whether you switched/connected to the other or not.
[automerge]1574421468[/automerge]
they said it's not software? so an hardware problem? if so, that's a REAL issue.
"Who" said it's not software? A CSR? This person is definitely making a BIG assumption. From countless people who've been troubleshooting this issue, there's not been anything conclusive as to if it's software, hardware, or both involved with this problem. If I were to make a guess, then I would say it's software related because of not seeing this problem on the GEN2 until updating to iOS 13.x and/or some firmware version was pushed to the APs.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
"Who" said it's not software? A CSR? This person is definitely making a BIG assumption. From countless people who've been troubleshooting this issue, there's not been anything conclusive as to if it's software, hardware, or both involved with this problem. If I were to make a guess, then I would say it's software related because of not seeing this problem on the GEN2 until updating to iOS 13.x and/or some firmware version was pushed to the APs.

100% agree
i firmly agree it's related to iOS13.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
If you'd read my post, it was not a CSR who said "hardware" problems. It was a genius bar tech guy who later mentioned "10 years experience". If someone here can debate that, other than "genius bar folks are idiots", please let us know how/why.

It's a hardware/firmware issue, period. I get the same exact error with my iPad. That alone should point to hardware. This same issues happen with AP Gen. 2.

And again, it's MORE than just dancing exclamations. There ARE connectivity issues as was confirmed with mine (and others) experience. It's a known issue.

What's perplexing is the randomness of the problem. Not everyone has it, and I only get it occasionally. I'd imagine this makes it very difficult to diagnose.

• Love

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
If you'd read my post, it was not a CSR who said "hardware" problems. It was a genius bar tech guy who later mentioned "10 years experience". If someone here can debate that, other than "genius bar folks are idiots", please let us know how/why.

It's a hardware/firmware issue, period. I get the same exact error with my iPad. That alone should point to hardware. This same issues happen with AP Gen. 2.

And again, it's MORE than just dancing exclamations. There ARE connectivity issues as was confirmed with mine (and others) experience. It's a known issue.

What's perplexing is the randomness of the problem. Not everyone has it, and I only get it occasionally. I'd imagine this makes it very difficult to diagnose.
This is a big statement to make. If it’s cascading across devices, I’m going firmware. This is also gen3. I haven’t had a single connection or quality issue and I used them daily. If you have a connection issue, you have a dud or the pairing device is the issue.

le_81

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
This is a big statement to make. If it’s cascading across devices, I’m going firmware. This is also gen3. I haven’t had a single connection or quality issue and I used them daily. If you have a connection issue, you have a dud or the pairing device is the issue.

Couldn’t agree more with you.
I’m also a daily user and except for the less occasionally appearing (after the new APP firmware) exclamations, the APP is working flawlessly.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012

Disagree. I have minor connection glitch / out of sync in many occasion.

Tested with 4 different units in 2 different devices.

Both the devices have no connection issue at all with AP2.

Am i so unlucky to have picked up 4 defective APP units?

Last edited:

rrroar

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2019
I got the same issue WITH connectivity problems. APPs connected to 2 devices - XR & Note 8.

Symptoms, apart from the dancing exclamation points for left earpiece - occasional loss of connection/playback for the left earpiece.

Additional problem I've noticed when using ANC without music - right earpiece, at about 1 minute intervals, would not just stop cancelling the low frequency - it would start pumping it in as if the transparency mode was turned on - but ONLY for the low freq sounds like humming... APPs are great when they work as expected though.

Both issues happen with Note8 and 2B584 firmware, haven't tried it with the XR for log periods of time (work phone). Got 2B588 firmware just now, exclamation points still flash, will see how actual connectivity and ANC fare after the update...

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I skimmed and read "only a hardware problem" since that was a HUGE assumption. In reference to your genius bar rep, they're quite often not more knowledgeable than general CSR and other staff at Apple Stores. I'd refer to many associates that Apple hires for the store as it being more necessary to have a "great smile" and be a salesman. So from my experience from Unix systems since the mid 80's, computers of varying OS, GAC & COMM/NAV tech, and so on is, unless this was a design that's been reviewed by an engineering team and actually inspected via specialized equipment, then for a device of this size, THERE IS NO WAY to determine that it's only a hardware problem. What some Apple Store employee or what you like to refer to as a "genius" >>> "salesman with a smile" who observed people returning them to one store is the most ridiculous basis for a diagnosis that I've ever read.

Reactions: Jutah and Otflyer

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
In reference to your genius bar rep, they're quite often not more knowledgeable than general CSR and other staff at Apple Stores. I'd refer to many associates that Apple hires for the store as it being more necessary to have a "great smile" and be a salesman. So from my experience from Unix systems since the mid 80's, computers of varying OS, GAC & COMM/NAV tech, and so on is, unless this was a design that's been reviewed by an engineering team and actually inspected via specialized equipment, then for a device of this size, THERE IS NO WAY to determine that it's only a hardware problem. What some Apple Store employee or what you like to refer to as a "genius" >>> "salesman with a smile" who observed people returning them to one store is the most ridiculous basis for a diagnosis that I've ever read.

I totally agree.

In many cases they have no idea what we are talking about. The guys that are supposed to be the technician told me something like “dunno, mine works. There are some lag but it’s normal. Up to now nobody complaint about this issue so it’s ok”.

I strongly suggest you to write you a detailed explanation of your problem at Apple feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Last edited:

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Oh! Just bumped into this thread. My left side too! Suddenly i hear the low battery noise and it's in the red when my right was still quite full. Happened twice. So I returned it and wait till Apple has this fixed. I don't wanna go thru applecare and get a refurbished one.

• Love

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Oh! Just bumped into this thread. My left side too! Suddenly i hear the low battery noise and it's in the red when my right was still quite full. Happened twice. So I returned it and wait till Apple has this fixed. I don't wanna go thru applecare and get a refurbished one.
They don’t repair AirPods. They replace them with new but, they will only replace the defective component not the entire set.

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
I did the exact thing and I don’t regret it at all. hopefully the next model will be better quality

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
I just got mine yesterday. I have the same issue. I haven’t charged it yet so I don’t know if it’s updated? How do I update them? Just plug in and let it do itself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.