Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Repurchased the APP to do a proper comparison from the top truly wireless contenders. Already own the AirPods 2 and PBP (Powerbeats Pro). Momentums TW and WF-1000XMs are considered top in class in this category so I purchased those too this week. Here are my thoughts. (Firmware updated on Sonys and Senns before testing.)

Sound Quality

Powerbeats Pro: 9/10
Sony: 9/10
Senn: 8/10
APP: 7/10
AP: 6/10

To my ears, the PBP and Sonys were the clear winners here. I like the default SQ of the PBP a great deal. The Sonys get pretty amazing when you tweak their EQ setting in their app. Senns are also great and have a dedicated EQ app as well. APP sound very good but nothing special IMO, and SQ is noticeably worse with ANC enabled (which is their default setting). AP are fine but certainly a notch below APP.

Fit

PBP: 10/10
APP: 9/10
Sony: 6/10
Senn: 6/10

Some people don't like the ear hooks provided by the Powerbeats lineup, but as a former PB3 user and current PBP user, I've never had an issue with them. Even for long periods. You won't find anything better on the market for intense workouts. Overall I find the PBP to be extremely comfortable. APP are a close second. Very lightweight. The Sonys feel like I have an otoscope in my ear. Not a pleasant feeling. Senns are equally uncomfortable in my ears. The AP don't really fit into my ears at all. This category played a huge roll in my final conclusions.

Controls

PBP: 9/10
Sony: 8/10
APP: 8/10

PBP are dead simple with identical controls on each bud, including a volume rocker. Sonys work well as they are very responsive to touch. APP work much better now with their force sensors. Senns have difficult to use volume controls and worse touch controls. I've never enjoyed tapping the outside of the AP and find it inconsistent to my commands. Only the PBP have proper volume controls. The lack of volume controls on the Sonys, APP, and AP is annoying.

Case

APP: 10/10
AP: 10/10
Senn: 9/10 (1/10 due to known issue.)
PBP: 4/10

APP and AP both have tiny cases that fit so easily in a front pocket. Both offer wireless charging (well one model of the AP 2 does) which can be a big deal if you enjoy such a feature. The Sonys case is bigger but I can still fit it in my front pocket. The Senns have a great tiny fabric case but it sadly suffers from a known idle battery drain issue rendering it unacceptable. Removing the Senns from their case was difficult. They are heavy and the place to grab and lift them out was rather slippery. PBP case is large, bulky, heavy, and simply too cumbersome for most front pockets.

Battery Life

APP & AP: 6/10
Senn: 5/10

PBP get 9 hours in one sitting and 24 hours total. Sonys get 6 hours in one sitting and 24 total. APP and AP get roughy 4.5/5 hours of battery life in one sitting, 24 total. Senns get 4 hours in one sitting and 12 total, but again due to the faulty charging case they are almost disqualified in this category.

Microphone

APP & AP: 10/10
Senn: 4/10

Based on my experiences, PBP, APP, and AP all offer excellent call quality. Sonys less so but still good. Senns are pretty terrible on this front.

Looks

AP: 7/10
Sony: 5/10

This category is totally subjective. Personally I think the black PBP look excellent while worn and do a good job of almost getting lost on the side of your face. The other 3 colors they offer will make them stand out more. APP are still blinding white but the shorter stems mean they look less silly. AP still look rather silly with those long stems. Senns aren't too terrible but still rather large sticking out of your ears. The Sonys are just huge on the side of your head and look the worst.

Value

AP: 8/10 (non-wireless charging) 7/10 (wireless charging)

My ratings are based on what I personally paid for each model before tax. Sony ($228), PBP ($250), APP ($250), AP (wireless charging model - $150), Senn ($214).

Some other details

I couldn't notice much of a difference between ANC performance on the Sonys and APP.

The inclusion of an EQ app is a real advantage on the Sonys and Senns. Really wish Apple would add this option in iOS at some point.

Conclusions

I want to use my PBP exclusively for the gym so I don't have to keep removing them from my gym bag daily for other things. Plus I need another pair of TW headphones that offer a small enough case to keep in a front pocket (otherwise I'd just buy a second pair of PBP). I've been using AirPods 2 for the past 3 months but haven't enjoyed the experience due to their fit, sound, lack of seal, and controls. The Sonys are too uncomfortable for me to keep, otherwise they would be my choice. The Senns were essentially DOA once I learned of their battery case issue as I awaited shipment (plus 12 hours total is pretty terrible versus the rest). So for now, I think I will settle with the APP as my second pair. I say settle because I'm really not sold on their sound. I wish they sounded as good as my PBP or the Sonys. I have 10 more days to decide. I'm also pretty certain that no earbud that is large like the Sonys or Senns would ever work for me due to lack of comfort. I did use the Galaxy Buds for a week when they came out, and while I hated their sound, they were comfortable in my ears due to their small size. The reality is that it's still very difficult to make a tiny headphone sound great.

Edit - I've returned the AirPods Pro's for Soundcore Liberty Air 2's. I think they honestly sound better and cost significantly less at $100 retail. Here is my breakdown of the Air's in the categories above.

Sound Quality: 8/10

Definitely better than the APP. Not quite at the level of PBP and the Sony's.

Fit: 9/10

Essentially identical to the APP. Plus you get 5 tips to choose from instead of the 3 with the APP.

Controls: 7/10

The good news is that there is the option to control volume by holding down for two seconds on one side of a bud to either go up or down a level. You do have to keep doing this each time however to go down or up a level. Better however than not having any volume controls whatsoever. I still prefer the pinching of the APP force sensors versus the double tap of the Air's.

Case: 10/10

Just as compact as an APP case, plus it is matte plastic, not shiny, making it easier to grip versus an APP case.

Battery Life: 8/10

Very good. 7 hours in a single charge. 28 hours total. Much better than APP for a single charge.

Microphone: 10/10

Clear calls so far with all testing to date.

Looks: 9/10

I'll give them the edge over APP because they come in a black model. The stems however are essentially identical in length to the AirPods.

Value: 10/10

$100 at retail versus the $250 APP. It really hammers home (for me) how expensive the APP are considering their lack SQ and how great an overall package the Air's are at that retail price.

Last edited:

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
interesting , i would have to agree with most of your findings , the sony's blew me out of the water in quality. No doubt if i was on android i would have a set of those. Airpods pro mic is what sold me , i use them alot in meetings online.

Reactions: Glideslope

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
are you ok with having the tips of some of these intruding into your ear-canal?

Kimball

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
The inclusion of an EQ app is a real advantage on the Sonys and Senns. Really wish Apple would add this option in iOS at some point.

Appreciate the thorough review!

A quick question, Im by no means an audiophile and almost never bothered with EQ-settings on my mobile phone. However I just noticed Spotify has an included EQ-setting (yes, Ive never looked for this earlier), does this EQ lack any settings vs. Sonys? I do realize Sonys version is alot better since its "system wide", Im just interested in a comparison to see if you're able to get better APP-sound using the EQ in Spotify? I just noticed that using EQ-setting "small speaker" in Spotify makes the sound experience alot better imho!

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Appreciate the thorough review!

A quick question, Im by no means an audiophile and almost never bothered with EQ-settings on my mobile phone. However I just noticed Spotify has an included EQ-setting (yes, Ive never looked for this earlier), does this EQ lack any settings vs. Sonys? I do realize Sonys version is alot better since its "system wide", Im just interested in a comparison to see if you're able to get better APP-sound using the EQ in Spotify? I just noticed that using EQ-setting "small speaker" in Spotify makes the sound experience alot better imho!
Sorry I don't use Spotify.

socalmark2

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Sony just put out a software update that allows volume control on the in ears. They still don’t work well for phone calls but sound great.

Reactions: yui4

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
@blairh thanks for such a thorough review

I was offered a really good deal on eBay for the Sony’s brand new £150

farfromovin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Yeah, they really get close when you consider the top contenders. It boils down to what qualities are you looking for. If I could just shrink the case to half the size and put a W1 chip in he Sony’s I’d be good. I currently own both but just use the APP now.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Great comparison. Those Sennheisers are really let down by their flaws eh. Thought they would’ve fixed them by now …

The new kid on the block are the Jabra Elite 75T, which seem to be reviewing well.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Great comparison. Those Sennheisers are really let down by their flaws eh. Thought they would’ve fixed them by now …

The new kid on the block are the Jabra Elite 75T, which seem to be reviewing well.
I bought the 75t but, they came up short in a few ways for me. The passive noise cancelling was minimal, they were comfortable but, not as comfortable as my APP’s. Reviewers I’ve watched say they are almost bass heavy but, I found them lacking and I’m not a bass head. the sound to me was tinny. The EQ did not help. After watching reviews I though i could return my APP’s and save a few bucks but, I kept the APP’s and returned the 75t’s.

Reactions: Ralfi

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I bought the 75t but, they came up short in a few ways for me. The passive noise cancelling was minimal, they were comfortable but, not as comfortable as my APP’s. Reviewers I’ve watched say they are almost bass heavy but, I found them lacking and I’m not a bass head. the sound to me was tinny. The EQ did not help. After watching reviews I though i could return my APP’s and save a few bucks but, I kept the APP’s and returned the 75t’s.
Thanks.

Yeah I’d forgotten they were Passive NC only.
& I think you can only use one of the buds (R iirc) whilst the other charges, which is a deal breaker for me too.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Repurchased the APP to do a proper comparison from the top truly wireless contenders. Already own the AirPods 2 and PBP (Powerbeats Pro). Momentums TW and WF-1000XMs are considered top in class in this category so I purchased those too this week. Here are my thoughts. (Firmware updated on Sonys and Senns before testing.)

Sound Quality

Powerbeats Pro: 9/10
APP: 7/10

To my ears, the PBP and Sonys were the clear winners here. I like the default SQ of the PBP a great deal. The Sonys get pretty amazing when you tweak their EQ setting in their app. Senns are also great and have a dedicated EQ app as well. APP sound very good but nothing special IMO, and SQ is noticeably worse with ANC enabled (which is their default setting). AP are fine but certainly a notch below APP.

Fit

APP: 9/10
Sony: 6/10

Some people don't like the ear hooks provided by the Powerbeats lineup, but as a former PB3 user and current PBP user, I've never had an issue with them. Even for long periods. You won't find anything better on the market for intense workouts. Overall I find the PBP to be extremely comfortable. APP are a close second. Very lightweight. The Sonys feel like I have an otoscope in my ear. Not a pleasant feeling. Senns are equally uncomfortable in my ears. The AP don't really fit into my ears at all. This category played a huge roll in my final conclusions.

Controls

PBP are dead simple with identical controls on each bud, including a volume rocker. Sonys work well as they are very responsive to touch. APP work much better now with their force sensors. Senns have difficult to use volume controls and worse touch controls. I've never enjoyed tapping the outside of the AP and find it inconsistent to my commands. Only the PBP have proper volume controls. The lack of volume controls on the Sonys, APP, and AP is annoying.

Case

APP: 10/10
AP: 10/10
Senn: 9/10 (1/10 due to known issue.)
PBP: 4/10

APP and AP both have tiny cases that fit so easily in a front pocket. Both offer wireless charging (well one model of the AP 2 does) which can be a big deal if you enjoy such a feature. The Sonys case is bigger but I can still fit it in my front pocket. The Senns have a great tiny fabric case but it sadly suffers from a known idle battery drain issue rendering it unacceptable. Removing the Senns from their case was difficult. They are heavy and the place to grab and lift them out was rather slippery. PBP case is large, bulky, heavy, and simply too cumbersome for most front pockets.

Battery Life

APP & AP: 6/10
Senn: 5/10

PBP get 9 hours in one sitting and 24 hours total. Sonys get 6 hours in one sitting and 24 total. APP and AP get roughy 4.5/5 hours of battery life in one sitting, 24 total. Senns get 4 hours in one sitting and 12 total, but again due to the faulty charging case they are almost disqualified in this category.

Microphone

APP & AP: 10/10
Senn: 4/10

Based on my experiences, PBP, APP, and AP all offer excellent call quality. Sonys less so but still good. Senns are pretty terrible on this front.

Looks

AP: 7/10
Sony: 5/10

This category is totally subjective. Personally I think the black PBP look excellent while worn and do a good job of almost getting lost on the side of your face. The other 3 colors they offer will make them stand out more. APP are still blinding white but the shorter stems mean they look less silly. AP still look rather silly with those long stems. Senns aren't too terrible but still rather large sticking out of your ears. The Sonys are just huge on the side of your head and look the worst.

Value

AP: 8/10 (non-wireless charging) 7/10 (wireless charging)

My ratings are based on what I personally paid for each model before tax. Sony ($228), PBP ($250), APP ($250), AP (wireless charging model - $150), Senn ($214).

Some other details

I couldn't notice much of a difference between ANC performance on the Sonys and APP.

Conclusions

I want to use my PBP exclusively for the gym so I don't have to keep removing them from my gym bag daily for other things. Plus I need another pair of TW headphones that offer a small enough case to keep in a front pocket (otherwise I'd just buy a second pair of PBP). I've been using AirPods 2 for the past 3 months but haven't enjoyed the experience due to their fit, sound, lack of seal, and controls. The Sonys are too uncomfortable for me to keep, otherwise they would be my choice. The Senns were essentially DOA once I learned of their battery case issue as I awaited shipment (plus 12 hours total is pretty terrible versus the rest). So for now, I think I will settle with the APP as my second pair. I say settle because I'm really not sold on their sound. I wish they sounded as good as my PBP or the Sonys. I have 10 more days to decide. I'm also pretty certain that no earbud that is large like the Sonys or Senns would ever work for me due to lack of comfort. I did use the Galaxy Buds for a week when they came out, and while I hated their sound, they were comfortable in my ears due to their small size. The reality is that it's still very difficult to make a tiny headphone sound great.

Edit - I've returned the AirPods Pro's for Soundcore Liberty Air 2's. I think they honestly sound better and cost significantly less at $100 retail. Here is my breakdown of the Air's in the categories above.

Sound Quality: 8/10

Definitely better than the APP. Not quite at the level of PBP and the Sony's.

Fit: 9/10

Essentially identical to the APP. Plus you get 5 tips to choose from instead of the 3 with the APP.

Controls: 7/10

The good news is that there is the option to control volume by holding down for two seconds on one side of a bud to either go up or down a level. You do have to keep doing this each time however to go down or up a level. Better however than not having any volume controls whatsoever. I still prefer the pinching of the APP force sensors versus the double tap of the Air's.

Case: 10/10

Just as compact as an APP case, plus it is matte plastic, not shiny, making it easier to grip versus an APP case.

Battery Life: 8/10

Very good. 7 hours in a single charge. 28 hours total. Much better than APP for a single charge.

Microphone: 10/10

Clear calls so far with all testing to date.

Looks: 9/10

I'll give them the edge over APP because they come in a black model. The stems however are essentially identical in length to the AirPods.

Value: 10/10

$100 at retail versus the $250 APP. It really hammers home (for me) how expensive the APP are considering their lack SQ and how great an overall package the Air's are at that retail price.

I own both the AirPods Pro and the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earbuds. I have a really hard time believing the Powerbeats Pro and the Sonys are better sounding than the MTWs. Did you go into the Sennheiser App and adjust the EQ to your liking? The EQ will then sync to the earbuds so however you like the way they sound will sound exactly the same on any device, even without the app. I’m not saying PBP or Sony sound bad but even most reviewers consider the MTWs to have the best sound quality but poor everything else.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I own both the AirPods Pro and the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earbuds. I have a really hard time believing the Powerbeats Pro and the Sonys are better sounding than the MTWs. Did you go into the Sennheiser App and adjust the EQ to your liking? The EQ will then sync to the earbuds so however you like the way they sound will sound exactly the same on any device, even without the app. I’m not saying PBP or Sony sound bad but even most reviewers consider the MTWs to have the best sound quality but poor everything else.
Yeah I did tweak the EQ in the app. I gave it a notch below the Sonys and PBP because I didn't think the bass was quite as powerful as those two models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.