Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krawfo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
My 1st gen Airpods won't charge. I tried cleaning, new charging cord, reset but no joy. I had foam covers on them and it was always a snug fit to close the charger cover. Could this have damaged the contacts and is now preventing a recharge?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
My 1st gen Airpods won't charge. I tried cleaning, new charging cord, reset but no joy. I had foam covers on them and it was always a snug fit to close the charger cover. Could this have damaged the contacts and is now preventing a recharge?
Have you tried cleaning the metal contacts in the holes where the AirPods insert into the case? I used foam covers (to make them feel more snug in my ears) and found that some foam would fall off into the case. Cleaning the contacts - use a Q-Tip and perhaps some rubbing alcohol - and see if that helps. It did for me.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Have you tried cleaning the metal contacts in the holes where the AirPods insert into the case? I used foam covers (to make them feel more snug in my ears) and found that some foam would fall off into the case. Cleaning the contacts - use a Q-Tip and perhaps some rubbing alcohol - and see if that helps. It did for me.
Not sure I’d use a liquid on the contacts in the charge case.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Not sure I’d use a liquid on the contacts in the charge case.
I have - again alcohol not water - and never had an issue. I am not flooding the opening with liquid, just enough to dampen the contacts.

krawfo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I did use a Q-tip slightly moistened with alcohol. No luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.