Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawful

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Hello, I have and AirPort Time Capsule with 3 TB of disk storage. I would like to store there photos, videos and files, and of course my Time Machine Backups...

I understand it is not possible to partition the 3 TB disk storage inside my AirPort Time Capsule. Questions:

1) Is it ok if I storage photos, videos and other files plus my Time Machine Backups?? Any risk?
2) Since I can't create a partition inside my AirPort Time Capsule, is it better if I create a Disk Image for the photos, videos and files in order to separate them from my Time Machine Backups?? any other idea?

Thank you very much in advance!

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Hello, I have and AirPort Time Capsule with 3 TB of disk storage. I would like to store there photos, videos and files, and of course my Time Machine Backups...

I understand it is not possible to partition the 3 TB disk storage inside my AirPort Time Capsule. Questions:

1) Is it ok if I storage photos, videos and other files plus my Time Machine Backups?? Any risk?
2) Since I can't create a partition inside my AirPort Time Capsule, is it better if I create a Disk Image for the photos, videos and files in order to separate them from my Time Machine Backups?? any other idea?

Thank you very much in advance!

It is not recommended to store files on the same disk that is being used for Time Machine. You're better off buying an external HD. You can get a 8TB Western Digital Easy Store from Best Buy in the US for $120 on sale.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
you can, but should you is another question. you can hook up an external drive to the Time Capsule and keep back-ups and personal items separate. You can also archive your Time Machine Back-ups to the external drive or another one for additional peace of mind.

Reactions: lawful

lawful

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
you can, but should you is another question. you can hook up an external drive to the Time Capsule and keep back-ups and personal items separate. You can also archive your Time Machine Back-ups to the external drive or another one for additional peace of mind.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.