Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewtm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I'm normally fine and generally supportive with Apple's design changes in their iOS updates, but this one really seems like a step back. Large album art used to be something that Apple really emphasized. Remember CoverFlow? This just seems like a step back and an unnecessary change. Anyone else agree?

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    566.9 KB · Views: 2,924

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
My son and I both agree exactly with what you have said. Seems like a big step backwards with the small album art that displays. Can't figure out why they would do that. Seems like not a big issue, because no else seems to be complaining about. Wish they would make it larger again.

andrewtm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
My son and I both agree exactly with what you have said. Seems like a big step backwards with the small album art that displays. Can't figure out why they would do that. Seems like not a big issue, because no else seems to be complaining about. Wish they would make it larger again.

I like having the volume and the playback controls right near each other, but this really defeats the point of album art.

Reactions: giri09

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I like having the volume and the playback controls right near each other, but this really defeats the point of album art.

If they are pushing for this notification-bubble style music controls in the lockscreen, how do you think they should have implemented the larger album art better?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I actually like the smaller album art! I want to see my wallpaper.

Can't you open music or app to see the artwork?

I find the album art covering the entire lock screen distracting and annoying when I want to see notifications and wallpaper.

Sorry they changed it on yah :(

Reactions: TimFL1

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I agree from a design standpoint that I liked having the big album art. From a function standpoint, this new design is clearly more suited and better designed for the notification screen. It's an improvement.

Reactions: Beeplance

andouo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2018
I think they should have kept the big album art. Then you can tap the album art to show the title, playback controls and volume control on a transparent white background that blurs the album art, you know like when you open folders. And to see your old notifications, just swipe up like how it is now. Now this is an idea!

Reactions: itsmilo

lrsone

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2012
New York, NY
I liked the bigger album art on the lockscreen also but I understand why they switched it. Also since the switch to this style I wish it worked like it should more often. 90% of the time for me the bar that shows how far into the song you are doesn't work and stays stuck; therefore displaying the wrong timestamps for the song I’m listening to.

giri09

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2019
I'm normally fine and generally supportive with Apple's design changes in their iOS updates, but this one really seems like a step back. Large album art used to be something that Apple really emphasized. Remember CoverFlow? This just seems like a step back and an unnecessary change. Anyone else agree?

Agree.. I like the one with "Album art" rather than this new control stuff..

Hope, Apple revert back to Album Art.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.