Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRoni

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2002
Ever since starting a new job at (insert computer store name), I have been drooling over the many 800 Mhz powerbook display models within our limited A.S.S section (Apple Store within a Store). Now the time has come for me to purchase one of those titanium beauties since I am now in college and without a trusty computer. Actually, I have a Cowpile2000 laptop, but that doesn't count.

Now that I have comitted to buying a powerbook, i'm getting a little edgy now that the Christmas season is here. Just like everyone else, I have been waitig 6+ months and the d*mn update hasn't come yet. Some say November, some say January. Personally, I think that November is the month.

judging the shipping guidelines and the oncoming of Chiristmas, it would be safe to say that the powerbook can come in early Nov. This will leave Apple time to announce the coming of the new powerbook, and for models to ship in time for Christmas.

On the other hand, there is MWSF. MWSF is a really huge event and there is another possibility that Apple will announce there, since there's more media coverage and so forth.

November makes the most sense, I'm just crossing my fingers. :D

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I am thinking that the next update will be January because of two reasons.

1) all computers introduced after January 7th will be OS X only booting.

2) all the promos presently going on.

Perhaps we might see a powerbook price drop.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
How much more heat can those PBook's take before they combust, anyway? I can't see how Apple can take them too much farther before jumping to the upcoming 130nm G4.

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
http://www.alienware.com/main/system_pages/area51-m.asp

Well,these guys managed to cram a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 desktop processor into a portable without creating a fire hazard,so I don't see why Apple couldn't manage 1Ghz at least.
I personaly would love it if Apple produced a 15 lb, 3 inch thick,17" screen,2x1.25Ghz monster of a fully featured portable. ThenI could sell my tower and not even need to consider having to figure out how to juggle the cash to get one of each!
Now that would be "inovation"!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by rEd Eye
http://www.alienware.com/main/system_pages/area51-m.asp

Well,these guys managed to cram a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 desktop processor into a portable without creating a fire hazard,so I don't see why Apple couldn't manage 1Ghz at least.
I personaly would love it if Apple produced a 15 lb, 3 inch thick,17" screen,2x1.25Ghz monster of a fully featured portable. ThenI could sell my tower and not even need to consider having to figure out how to juggle the cash to get one of each!
Now that would be "inovation"!
Do you have any idea how much time this thing gets on a battery?

Just how much of that 120 W power supply does this thing need, anyway?

Do you have any idea how much this thing weighs with that large heat sink and all of those fans?

Is this really even a laptop, or is it more of a desktop replacement?

Inquiring minds want to know.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
RogueLdr:

I thought they had gotten the heat down on the newer faster PowerBooks.
Why do you think that?

rEd Eye:

That laptop is HUGE compared to the PBook... Alienware doesn't even seem to say how heavy or how thick it is. And certainly Apple could change the PBook so that it has more airflow though a better cooling system, but have they, and how loud would that be? I guess I should just assume that they will improve the cooling system...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.