Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I haven't been happy with Apple Mail (on my Mac and devices as well) for quite a while.
I found a suitable app for my Mac but there was no iOS version.
Recently, I discovered Cloud Magic.
I installed it and instantly "fell in love' with it. I used it on my iPad Pro and it looks stunning. I, then, installed it on my iPhone 6s. It is simple, efficient and full featured. There are many things to like about this app but I will just list a few. The interface is clean and uncluttered. Once you set up an account you don't need to set up your email accounts when using Cloud Magic on your other devices. When clicking on a link in your email it opens up in Cloud Magic without laughing Safari. You can set reminders from any email, again, without leaving the app. And best of all, the iOS version is free ($19.99 for Mac).

If you use other email iOS apps (other than Apple Mail)nyou rally like please post your experiences here.

eventailapp

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2016
I use Spark for work e-mail, I was also very pleased with the Outlook e-mail. Both have similar features, but Spark does a bit less and I like how one can configure its interface (swipes, shortcut buttons etc). I do not like having my calendar in the e-mail client for example which Outlook does.

They both follow the "your inbox is your todo list" philosophy.

The Cloud Magic app looks too barren for me,

For personal mail I use Mail.

Reactions: Richa Shaily

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I have used Spark for quite a while on my iPhone and CloudMagic on my iPad but both lack quite a few important features I would like to see. Outlook comes pretty close for me.

See also this wiki topic in the iOS8 area I created and still update.

Reactions: Readdlemate

spitf1r3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Neverland
2-3 months I think. It's changing quite rapidly and often. Development team is quite open to ideas and the app has a lot of integrations.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I also signed up for the Airmail beta for iPad. The reviews in the US Mac App Store aren't that good but it seems to have a lot of great features. I do wonder what it has to offer in comparison to the competition on iOS.

spitf1r3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Neverland
I also signed up for the Airmail beta for iPad. The reviews in the US Mac App Store aren't that good but it seems to have a lot of great features. I do wonder what it has to offer in comparison to the competition on iOS.

Both iOS and OS X versions can be rough (UI/UX wise), but functionality beats everything. Besides, they do listen to suggestions, so most of the stuff gets better over time.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
2-3 months I think. It's changing quite rapidly and often. Development team is quite open to ideas and the app has a lot of integrations.

Oh, okay. Didn't realize that it's been going on that long. I've been put on a waiting list but, considering the length of time it's been in progress, I'm not expecting to be selected to participate. I'll just look forward to the release of the final product.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Airmail yesterday launched their iPhone (only) iOS app. It looks pretty good and has quite some great features. What i'm still missing are:
- iPad support (including Slide Over/Split View)
- snooze to desktop - like Mailbox has/had
- one tap reply (with pre defined options) - like Spark has
- show attachments above e-mail description/text (just a small icon or files to click)
- option to add multiple attachment in one go from a cloud storage location - like Spark can
- TouchID / security support

See also my comparison of all major e-mail apps here.

Last edited:

spitf1r3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Neverland
Airmail yesterday launched their iPhone (only) iOS app. It looks pretty good and has quite some great features. What i'm still missing are:
- iPad support (including Slide Over/Split View)
- snooze to desktop - like Mailbox has/had
- one tap reply (with pre defined options) - like Spark has
- show attachments above e-mail description/text (just a small icon or files to click)
- show badge app icon also when background app refresh is turned off (it's the same problem as with Spark)
- option to add multiple attachment in one go from a cloud storage location - like Spark can
- TouchID / security support

See also my comparison of all major e-mail apps here.
Here's the link to Airmail for iOS for your convenience

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I'm trying out Airmail right now. Bought it yesterday and I'm pleased with it so far. Two things I like. Full sized notifications and the alert tones. Both are very nice.

BlackBisonAMG

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2016
Jacksonville, Florida
Ive been using AirMail for quite some time now on OS X and like it. I use outlook on my iPhone and i feel like it struggles with certain features. I'm going to look into Cloud Magic. Does anyone else have experience with Cloud Magic?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Ive been using AirMail for quite some time now on OS X and like it. I use outlook on my iPhone and i feel like it struggles with certain features. I'm going to look into Cloud Magic. Does anyone else have experience with Cloud Magic?

I've tested almost all of the iOS mail app including CloudMagic. The UI is clean and it works great on iPhone and iPad but it's missing quite a few essentials features in my opinion such as:
- no landscape view on iPhone
- no snooze feature (coming soon according to developer), would love to see snooze to desktop
- save e-mail as PDF
- attach multiple cloud attachments in one go (e.g. PDF from Dropbox)
- save to cloud storage (only possible with iOS Share Sheet)
- customizable swipe gestures
- short/long swipe
- no advanced search like Spark has (e.g. "Jim attachment PDF November")
- can't find e-mails older then 3 months
- lack of task/action for e-mails
- no calendar within the app
- not much options to personalise
- one tap reply
- no option to show icon/avatar in inbox (only in conversation)
- no Slide Over/Split View on iPad

See also my major comparison which i've mentioned in my previous post in this topic.

I'm hoping that there will be an app one day that has all the features i want :)
For now Outlook, Spark, Airmail come pretty close. I love it that Outlook shows the attachments above the e-mail message. I hope that Spark and Airmail will also add that soon + iPad support (both have alpha/beta version now) including Slide Over/Split View support.

BlackBisonAMG

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2016
Jacksonville, Florida
That is some great feedback with a lot of valid points. You are 100% spot on with wishful thinking and hoping that someday someone comes out with a mail app that will encompass all of the essential features. I'm surprised that Microsoft hasn't addressed and fixed these issues. You would think with the amount of iOS users that are out there, they would want to try and have the most complete mail app to persuade users to utilize their product. But then again thats more wishful thinking.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

Yes; I had Cloud Magic on my iPhone and iPad until AirMail became available. Now, I just have it on my iPad.
iCloud Magic is a nice minimalist email client. Like AirMail it shows up on your Apple Watch. I prefer AirMail because it's more "full featured, and has so many options. I will continue to use Cloud Magic on my iPad until AirMail becomes available for iPad.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm sticking to Outlook for now because they show the attachments above the message which is so much easier. I really hope that both Airmail and Spark will add this option/feature soon so I can switch to one of those once and for all.

Also regarding iPad I'm now running Spark Beta (the real universal app should be available later this month) besides Outlook. I do hope that the Airmail iPad version will also soon become available. I'm waiting on the Beta invite to test it. I have heard that it wouldn't be a Universal app so probably we have to pay again for it :(

The Outlook search period (only 3 months back) and search option is still awfull tho in comparison with e.g. Spark and Airmail which can search in all archived e-mails and Spark has also an excellent search feature e.g. 'Jim attachment PDF November' (although only in English for now).

Last edited:

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I'm sticking to Outlook for now because they show the attachments above the message which is so much easier. I really hope that both Airmail and Spark will add this option/feature soon so I can switch to one of those once and for all.

Also regarding iPad I'm now running Spark Beta (the real universal app should be available later this month) besides Outlook. I do hope that the Airmail iPad version will also soon become available. I'm waiting on the Beta invite to test it. I have heard that it wouldn't be a Universal app so probably we have to pay again for it :(

The Outlook search period (only 3 months back) and search option is still awfull tho in comparison with e.g. Spark and Airmail which can search in all archived e-mails and Spark has also an excellent search feature e.g. 'Jim attachment PDF November' (although only in English for now).

Yeah, it kind of sucks that you will have to pay, again, for the iPad version of AirMail when it's released. I'm sure there is a reason for that, outside of greed. In any case since I LOVE AirMail I will gladly pay for the iPad version. I'm not thrilled to pay for the same app three times but . . . . I shall none-the-less.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Airmail is definitely worth the money and I probably will also buy the iPad app just like you if they add a few of the functionalities that are now missing in the iPhone app. It saves so much time to see attachments above the e-mail. I don't understand why so much e-mail app don't get this and have this from the start. The list of e-mail apps that have that is so limited. Although in desktop and web environments it's almost standard to show them above a message.

Reactions: ipos and AJsAWiz

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I am sticking with Outlook on both iPhone and iPad. IMHO, its a much more polished app than Airmail (granted Outlook has been out longer). I also really like the Focused inbox that I can control what content goes into that and what goes into the "Other" inbox. I also have come to appreciate the attachments tab to quickly go thru what attachments have come in.

Reactions: Hitch22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.