Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Do you think Newton Mail is really still supported? Because the last update (the second after they were taken over) is 2 month ago... Looks like that they're not active anymore...

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Do you think Newton Mail is really still supported? Because the last update (the second after they were taken over) is 2 month ago... Looks like that they're not active anymore...

My contact said they were working on stuff, but maybe just wait a bit before making a decision.

Reactions: DenalB

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I agree, perhaps I was a little too harsh, but they seem to shy away from fixing the harder bugs, they gave up on mine.

I also agree on the look of Spark, just can't live with the look as my daily driver. I'm currently using Newton as I like the look and features, but the search is pants and always have to revert to Apple Mail for this... Not a huge thing though, as searching like that doesn't happen often.

Not too harsh. It is very frustrating as Ive been a beta tester since before release and I WANT to use it but cant.

I have literally had emails (ok only or 1 but still) vanish; not in any folder or deleted. Just wiped from the server.
And drafts you type often will just vanish. Major bugs we're talking, not a graphic misaligned; I think that is nitpicky.

I just cant see paying for an email app yearly. One time I have no problem with. But after 4 years you paid $200 for an email app more than MS Office costs. IF Airmail was fixed it would do 95% of what Newton does (not totally cross-platform but the major features of the app itself). That's why it's so incredibly frustrating.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Not too harsh. It is very frustrating as Ive been a beta tester since before release and I WANT to use it but cant.

I have literally had emails (ok only or 1 but still) vanish; not in any folder or deleted. Just wiped from the server.
And drafts you type often will just vanish. Major bugs we're talking, not a graphic misaligned; I think that is nitpicky.

I just cant see paying for an email app yearly. One time I have no problem with. But after 4 years you paid $200 for an email app more than MS Office costs. IF Airmail was fixed it would do 95% of what Newton does (not totally cross-platform but the major features of the app itself). That's why it's so incredibly frustrating.

Airmail completely deletes certain sent messages for me and they can’t find a fix for it. I have to restore backups from the servers to retrieve them, so can’t risk using the app at all.

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I just wanted to give Newton Mail another Chance again. Notifications worked fine but... I deleted some emails from one of my IMAP accounts and after updating there were back again. When trying to delete them again Newton said that these emails are deleted already. Tried for some times with the same result. Edison Email didnt show these emails after deletion in Newton. :(

Now I want to try Altamail again. But I have to subscribe for 99 cent a month.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Is there even an alternative e-mail app with a trustful privacy? I think Spark is the worst, because they are scanning your e-mails for illegal activities. I don't have any, but I don't want them scan my e-mails either.

Canary Mail is encrypted, but only for mails between Canary app and Canary app.

I'm still using Outlook now. They need some permissions for push notifications but I trust them more than other no name developers tbh.

Apples mail app is great too, but at the most accounts it doesn't support push.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Is there even an alternative e-mail app with a trustful privacy? I think Spark is the worst, because they are scanning your e-mails for illegal activities. I don't have any, but I don't want them scan my e-mails either.

I'm still using Outlook now. They need some permissions for push notifications but I trust them more than other no name developers tbh.

Let’s see some facts about Spark Mail scanning for illegal activity.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I just wanted to give Newton Mail another Chance again. Notifications worked fine but... I deleted some emails from one of my IMAP accounts and after updating there were back again. When trying to delete them again Newton said that these emails are deleted already. Tried for some times with the same result. Edison Email didnt show these emails after deletion in Newton. :(

Now I want to try Altamail again. But I have to subscribe for 99 cent a month.

Strange, I never get issues like that using FastMail as my provider.

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Actually I'm with AltaMail (https://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/altamail.html). After subscribing for 1 month ($0.99) and tested handling, behaviour and notifications I decided to subscribe for 1 year ($9.99). There is a 30 day trial period for trying the app for free. I did this already some weeks ago so I had to subscribe now.

AltMail has a lot of settings you can change and also is in German language. It took some days to get used to it but now I have to say that I love the app. So I deleted Edison Mail and AltaMail is now my one and only email app. ;)

The privacy policy looks fair: https://mobile.eurosmartz.com/privacy.html

I also asked support how notifications are working and if my credentials are used to send them to my device and are saved on their servers. That's what support answered:
Hi DenalB,

The details of push notifications is described here:
https://mobile.eurosmartz.com/help/app/am/notifybg.html

Unlike other apps, AltaMail does not read your email header or content information outside of your device.

Regards,
EuroSmartz Developer Team

I think that AltaMail is a good (paid!) alternative for the stock email app and also has got a user friendly privacy policy I can live with. :)

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR

Use ProtonMail.com it's the best so far.

You can use the Apple Mail App with ProtonMail Bridge for end to end encrypted mail. On iOS use the Protonmail App.

Reactions: gaanee

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I used to use Newton Mail until it stopped its services.

I then tried Spark Email and was okay with it but was missing Newton Mail.

Then Newton Mail started to provide its services again and I started to use Newton Mail again but after a few days I noticed my mails were not leaving the outbox. I complained to Newton and they said that my Internet Service Provider was blocking their ip and I need to talk to them. I didn't get any help from my ISP so I had to give up on Newton.

I started to use Edison Mail but was not so happy with it.

Finally I am using Outlook now.

I needed an email app to be used across all my devices

1) iPad Pro
2) Samsung Galaxy S10+
3) iMac
4) Windows Computer

Newton was the best for me in the past and now outlook is the next best option.

Anything else better than Outlook?

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Use ProtonMail.com it's the best so far.
But he is looking for an app not for a completely new email account. If you don't want to change your email account you are not able to use the ProtonMail app. You only are able to use the app with a ProtonMail account and it doesn't support IMAP or other services. ;)

NevilleB

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Durban, South Africa
I used to use Newton Mail until it stopped its services.

I then tried Spark Email and was okay with it but was missing Newton Mail.

Then Newton Mail started to provide its services again and I started to use Newton Mail again but after a few days I noticed my mails were not leaving the outbox. I complained to Newton and they said that my Internet Service Provider was blocking their ip and I need to talk to them. I didn't get any help from my ISP so I had to give up on Newton.

I started to use Edison Mail but was not so happy with it.

Finally I am using Outlook now.

I needed an email app to be used across all my devices

1) iPad Pro
2) Samsung Galaxy S10+
3) iMac
4) Windows Computer

Newton was the best for me in the past and now outlook is the next best option.

Anything else better than Outlook?

Have a look at Missive - it’s the closest to Newton that I’ve found.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.