Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Have a look at Missive
I also tried Missive some weeks ago. But I can't remember which problem occured or what was the reason for me to remove it from my iPhone.

But I remember that I had to write an email to the developer to delete my account because I was not able to delete it by myself (https://missiveapp.com/faq/how_to_delete_missive_account). But that wasn't the reason to delete the app. ;)

May be I will remember. Then I will write it here. Sorry.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Missive is actually good but in my business I send alot of pictures by email and I like the email app to shrink the pictures for me. Missive cant do this which is a problem for me.

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Actually now I am quite happy with outlook.
I tried Outlook for some times but every time notifications stopped working for all of my accounts. Support tried to help but it worked only for some days after fixing the problem. Then it stopped working again. So I can't count on it. :)

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
But he is looking for an app not for a completely new email account. If you don't want to change your email account you are not able to use the ProtonMail app. You only are able to use the app with a ProtonMail account and it doesn't support IMAP or other services. ;)
You can now use your own domains and such with ProtonMail. That’s actually been the case for a while. So unless your email is gmail or some other free account, you can port it over.
[doublepost=1562594252][/doublepost]
That was just updated to the standard Essential privacy notice when they were taken over, but have confirmed multiple times that our data is our data. They even have a FAQ post on the website regarding it.
Then why haven’t they changed the privacy notice to reflect that? I’ll pay the $50 if they have a strong privacy policy, but I need it to be official, not just an email or screenshot that disagrees with their official policy.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
You can now use your own domains and such with ProtonMail. That’s actually been the case for a while. So unless your email is gmail or some other free account, you can port it over.
[doublepost=1562594252][/doublepost]
Then why haven’t they changed the privacy notice to reflect that? I’ll pay the $50 if they have a strong privacy policy, but I need it to be official, not just an email or screenshot that disagrees with their official policy.

I've moved on to Apple Mail, so don't shoot the messenger.

dallasxanadu

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2019
Dallas
One more vote for outlook, no issues with notifications here. Synced with 2 email acc, outlook and gmail.
I haven't been happy with Apple Mail (on my Mac and devices as well) for quite a while.
I found a suitable app for my Mac but there was no iOS version.
Recently, I discovered Cloud Magic.
I installed it and instantly "fell in love' with it. I used it on my iPad Pro and it looks stunning. I, then, installed it on my iPhone 6s. It is simple, efficient and full featured. There are many things to like about this app but I will just list a few. The interface is clean and uncluttered. Once you set up an account you don't need to set up your email accounts when using Cloud Magic on your other devices. When clicking on a link in your email it opens up in Cloud Magic without laughing Safari. You can set reminders from any email, again, without leaving the app. And best of all, the iOS version is free ($19.99 for Mac).

If you use other email iOS apps (other than Apple Mail)nyou rally like please post your experiences here.

So I'm a recent iOS convert, finally having given up my beloved Windows phone. I'm still using several Windows services, including Outlook. As somebody mentioned previously, the calendar and mail app are integrated. which as far as I can tell means I have to have notifications turned on for email AND calendar, or neither. On Windows, they were separate apps and I could turn off email notifications and turn on for calendar, which is ideal for me. Is anybody aware of another email app that allows separate notifications? I guess I can search for two separate apps in the app store if need be. I would just use outlook for mail and the built-in iOS reminder app, but I hate the snooze on the reminder app.

Vilfredo

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
France
Hello,

I’m hesitating too on the app I should use.

I like Spark but I rode in the last posts that Readle illegally collect personal informations. Is that right ? I have confidential information in my professional emails.

Newton seems to be good to, is the annual subscription worth it ? Is privacy respected ?

I wanted to stay with apple stock app but my professional email address is rejected.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
As far as I can tell (I don't use it, as I don't like their privacy statement), Spark doesn't do anything illegal. Their privacy statement seems to clearly outline what they do with you data and I suppose it comes down to whether or not one trusts Readdle.

https://sparkmailapp.com/privacy

I've done absolutely no research on this, but it's a popular enough app which leads me to believe they'll at least try not to be dodgy. But then google and Amazon are also pretty big and they send conversations you have at home to freelance staff :)

As for Spark:

* They have the username and passwords for your email accounts. Without this, how can any app actually get your emails? I don't like this, but there's no choice. I use the stock Apple app and that also stores my email user and password; I just feel more comfortable with this somehow.

* They download your emails. They do this to display them within their app, and they regularly check your account for new emails so that their app can send notifications to your phone.

* They appear to keep your emails and scan the text. Ouch. I say "appear" as it's my interpretation of their provacy statement. Am I wrong? it's this... "Recently accessed email messages and collaboration threads: We need this information to provide Spark Services to you and your teammates such as private discussions around email, shared drafts and shared email conversations. By collecting and storing this data, we are able to present message discussion threads through your Spark app and provide better communication experience with your team."

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
* They have the username and passwords for your email accounts. Without this, how can any app actually get your emails? I don't like this, but there's no choice. I use the stock Apple app and that also stores my email user and password; I just feel more comfortable with this somehow.

To clarify that ONLY for accounts that dont use oAuth. Which most major providers (gmail, outlook.com etc) use. That is why you log directly into say Gmail on the webview when you initially set up that mail account. All the mail app gets is a token (which is revocable), not your login credentials.

* They appear to keep your emails and scan the text. Ouch. I say "appear" as it's my interpretation of their provacy statement. Am I wrong? it's this... "Recently accessed email messages and collaboration threads: We need this information to provide Spark Services to you and your teammates such as private discussions around email, shared drafts and shared email conversations. By collecting and storing this data, we are able to present message discussion threads through your Spark app and provide better communication experience with your team."

That is ONLY for teams (why it says teammates and shared drafts/shared email). That is so you can sync the team comments on emails or shared drafts- which obviously that is their proprietary system.
If you dont use teams that doesnt apply to a single user.

But yes, it was WAY overblown when all 3rd party mail apps work exactly the same with oAuth/storing logins and downloading your mail to push it via their app. There isnt any other way to do it the Apple allows developers.

Reactions: adrianlondon

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I don't have a problem with Spark — I bounce between it and Newton — I just wish they had an option to make the text larger and/or change the typeface.

rjcchan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
Airmail has gone to a subscription model if that matters to anyone. If you bought the app you now have to subscribe and pay again for basic stuff like multiple accounts and push notifications

Vilfredo

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
France
Airmail has gone to a subscription model if that matters to anyone. If you bought the app you now have to subscribe and pay again for basic stuff like multiple accounts and push notifications

That’s a shame that the devs didn’t offered at least 1 year of subscription to who already bought their app...

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
But yes, it was WAY overblown when all 3rd party mail apps work exactly the same with oAuth/storing logins and downloading your mail to push it via their app. There isnt any other way to do it the Apple allows developers.
"AltaMail" goes another way. They don't push notifications with the help of a server which connects to your email accounts. All is happening inside the app. So you don't are alowed to force quit "AltaMail". This would stop all notifications. (https://mobile.eurosmartz.com/help/app/am/index.html#notifyFix)

Also the developers of AltaMail doesn't collect personal data. The Privacy Policy sounds fair:
https://mobile.eurosmartz.com/privacy.html

I just installed "Airmail" after switching to a subscription model. I bought the app some month ago. After starting the app there was no premium logo inside the app. I was able to import all of my mail accounts from iCloud backup and could use them. Also I was able to activate "Realtime Inbox Monitoring". But I have to start a subscription for all new stuff like "Dark Theme" or "Block Tracking Email". So as a former buyer of "Airmail" I can use the app as normal. o_O

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Canary v3 beta is coming along VERY nicely...

I hope it is also available for customers who bought the previous version. I was a bit disappointed by the UI. It didn't work for me although I spent like 10+ euros on it once. The Dark mode is really nice though and privacy wise it's a good app as well.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I hope it is also available for customers who bought the previous version. I was a bit disappointed by the UI. It didn't work for me although I spent like 10+ euros on it once. The Dark mode is really nice though and privacy wise it's a good app as well.

Bit disappointed by the UI in v3?

I believe they're still deciding on the pricing structure going forward, but I hope they don't go with the subscription model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.