Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I loved Canary but notifications didn't work well with all my accounts. But I would love to give v3 a new chance.

Where can I get the beta?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Bit disappointed by the UI in v3?

I believe they're still deciding on the pricing structure going forward, but I hope they don't go with the subscription model.

No the existing UI. I don't have access to beta. I bought the app a year ago or something but haven't been using it since ages. When do they expect to launch the v3 I will then give it a try again.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
No the existing UI. I don't have access to beta. I bought the app a year ago or something but haven't been using it since ages. When do they expect to launch the v3 I will then give it a try again.

I didn't like the UI of v2 either, but v3 is a complete re-write and more resembles the iOS 13 Apple Mail app, but on steroids. I'm guessing it'll be launched alongside iOS 13.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I didn't like the UI of v2 either, but v3 is a complete re-write and more resembles the iOS 13 Apple Mail app, but on steroids. I'm guessing it'll be launched alongside iOS 13.

Ah that sounds good!! I currently use the Gmail app since I'm using a gmail e-mail address but will test it out if it becomes available for free for users that bought v2.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I'm finding the same thing — Canary 3 beta is really, really nice. I'm still running it alongside Netwton, but — assuming security and reliability are where they need to be — this might be the one.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Have you been able to toggle on the iCloud sync option? It appears to be greyed out for me on iPhone and iPads. Can't figure out how to enable it.

I don't think it's active yet, maybe because it's a beta and doesn't have full access to iCloud?

Canary v2 and v3 are night and day (literally) and it seems like they've got a hot new developer who's churning out the releases and actually listening to feedback and implementing changes. I had really bad experiences with v2 with bugs that never got fixed, but seems like they've got a good team now.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't think it's active yet, maybe because it's a beta and doesn't have full access to iCloud?

Canary v2 and v3 are night and day (literally) and it seems like they've got a hot new developer who's churning out the releases and actually listening to feedback and implementing changes. I had really bad experiences with v2 with bugs that never got fixed, but seems like they've got a good team now.
If they handle the new release better than they have version 2, they could really do well as a business. They have also done poorly in customer service via social media, where it is do or die. I hope they have a new vision and better follow thru now. Otherwise, it is nothing more then a flash in the pan.

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Thanks for the link. Use v3 since you posted it. ;)

Have you been able to toggle on the iCloud sync option?
iCloud Sync is disabled in beta so that there are no conflicts with syncs made with v2.

It really looks like this. But still there is a terrible German translation. Some month ago I helped translating an Excel sheet but all my changes never came into the app. Let's see how it is with v3.
With v2 I often had problems with notifications. Actually there were no problems with v3 since I test the beta. Only thing is that new mails coming in after 2 - 3 seconds when opening the app.

I'm looking forward to the final release and hope that there is a fair pricing model. :)

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Thanks for the link. Use v3 since you posted it. ;)

iCloud Sync is disabled in beta so that there are no conflicts with syncs made with v2.

It really looks like this. But still there is a terrible German translation. Some month ago I helped translating an Excel sheet but all my changes never came into the app. Let's see how it is with v3.
With v2 I often had problems with notifications. Actually there were no problems with v3 since I test the beta. Only thing is that new mails coming in after 2 - 3 seconds when opening the app.

I'm looking forward to the final release and hope that there is a fair pricing model. :)

Good to hear, let's hope they keep improving on the beta before final release.

Reactions: DenalB

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
But still the design of AltaMail for me is simple, easy and I like it. ;) :)

Pass. Hard pass. Don't need to pay for an open-ended subscription to read my own email. Why do all of these developers think they are entitled to a perpetual stream of income for something they did one time?

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Anyone using new canary? Trying on Mac and iOS. Seems nice but some issues like not being able to toggle read tracking per email, and don't want to be notified about it either. Also no control over smart notifications, like spark.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Canary Mail does have an awful German translation.

I‘m using Spark but it is not perfect.

I want to use Outlook but it is only showing me the emails from the last weeks. Microsoft says it is not possible to load older emails.

I would like to use Apple Mail too but it is still broken on iOS 13 and I get the notifications about new emails never or too late.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I’ve been flipping been Spark, new Canary, and most recently, Missive Trying to find a replacement for Newton which seems to be completely abandoned. So far, Missive seems to be the closest to what I need, even though the team aspects go unused. If it wasn’t so expensive, I might use it full time. Canary looks pretty good, but for some reason, seems a bit half-baked. For example, I can’t find a way to turn off the “sent” email sound.

Reactions: jef82

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
How is Spike Email?
Spike isn't bad — I like the idea. That said, for some reason, it just feels off to me. When you pull down, it searches rather than refreshes. When viewing unread messages, they disappear with no easy way to mark them unread, and other stuff like that. I keep an eye on it to see if it's updated, but it's not my daily driver.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The Outlook search period (only 3 months back) and search option is still awful
Exactly what I hate about Outlook too. Keep gmail with notifications off just so I can search an older email. Wish GMail would just get Dark Mode for all already. Think I'll check AirMail out.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm trying Canary out and it looks and feels a lot like the stock mail app. I don't mind it thus far, but I highly doubt I'm going to pay $20 for it when my trial is over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.