Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
I have a S2 aluminum SG watch... it took several hits that made me wince... after 2 years of wear, I have one small scratch on the edge of the screen and for the most part, the body is flawless - with the exception of underneath by the sensor.. the coat is like chipping!

View attachment 791265

I think with the full ceramic back in the series 4 this will not happen.. because no aluminum part touching your skin....
Correct me if im wrong...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I've went SS -> Alu -> SS -> Alu (s4). None of my watches have ever scratched, I don't think I really baby them, I just don't smack my wrist on things. I also don't put my watch down anywhere other than the charger and never put it face down.

My S0 SS had a crazy amount of case scratches, but that is how it goes with SS. No case scratching on the Alu, or space black S3.

Reactions: uknation87

DianaMR

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2016
I had S2 and S3 for one year each and they looked perfect when I upgraded. The SS is tempting though. It’s a tough call. If I had the money I’d get an SS for events and dressing up and the alum for working out. Not an option so got the aluminum s4. i ordered an armorsuit screen protector (never used one before) to see how it looks and also got AppleCare.

Do they have one specifically for the S4 yet?

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
For what it’s worth, I have the series 2 aluminum. It has some minor scratches, both on the body and the screen. But nothing incredibly noticeable. Shocking considering I work under ground. The thing has been covered in sand, submerged in thick water/sand mixtures, and I’ve hit it against all sorts of things. Looks pretty good. Barely noticeable scratches, you have to be looking for them.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I'm ok with the armor suit. Just buffed it up and it looks ok. I'm going to keep it on for a while as I'm still kinda obsessed over my new toy. I'll probably take it off after a while if the plastic feel starts to bother me. If. I had to do it again, would probably just buy the screen cover instead of the full body cover. Its probably all you need and is not really noticeable once it's installed.

Reactions: DianaMR

Raajj

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2019
after using SSSB i was opted for AW 5 Aluminum. first thing i noticed is how light the watch is. i have been using the watch since a month now and its umarked. as long as one exhibits spacial awareness and dont bump into things, then aluminum would be the best apple watch ever made.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
my series 0 ive owned since release and just replaced with a series 4 has no scratches I can recall at all. and ive beat it up, accidental knocks into walls and drops in a correctional facility. and it was worn almost 365 days a year.
I will second that. Just replaced my series 0 with a 5. Wife is using now no scratches. I wore everywhere even working in the yard.

uknation87

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I recently upgraded from the AW S1 Aluminium to the Nike + S4 AW. Over the last 3 years I may have had a couple of minor scuffs on my AW S1 but nothing major and it didn't affect the actual functionality of the watch at all... to the point where my wife is now wearing the AW S1 to see if she even likes having one.

I've heard as many storied of SS AW owners talking about scuffs and so compared to the aluminium version. I will probably never buy anything other than the Nike or regular aluminium version simply due to cost and feel of the watch.

Raajj

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2019
I recently upgraded from the AW S1 Aluminium to the Nike + S4 AW. Over the last 3 years I may have had a couple of minor scuffs on my AW S1 but nothing major and it didn't affect the actual functionality of the watch at all... to the point where my wife is now wearing the AW S1 to see if she even likes having one.

I've heard as many storied of SS AW owners talking about scuffs and so compared to the aluminium version. I will probably never buy anything other than the Nike or regular aluminium version simply due to cost and feel of the watch.
I definitely agree with this. The weight of aluminium is substantially less than the stainless and titanium versions, to that point that you don’t feel that it’s actually there. But with stainless steel I used to be aware that it’s there. Apple Watch as it’s meant to be worn 24/7 (except during charging of course), has to be as light as possible.

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
I wear AW since 3 years (24/7) starting with a S2 and passing to S4 last year.
Always got the aluminum ones, never had a scratch or any other sort of problem.

Great value for money if you consider the higher depreciation of the more luxurious models.

Reactions: staggerlee41

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Had SS S4 in gold, switched to Aluminium S5 in space black. Loving the color!!

Attachments

• 809CC0F8-FF28-4932-A4A4-7B40333D7AB5.jpeg
    809CC0F8-FF28-4932-A4A4-7B40333D7AB5.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 95
  • E7D21C4D-AB79-425A-9838-2ECBD9612A5F.jpeg
    E7D21C4D-AB79-425A-9838-2ECBD9612A5F.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 124

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Series 5 started showing its first signs of chipping a few weeks ago (see the white spot above the Digital Crown?).
df4db96e10a9bb0cd1e0fe29f752aa3b.jpg

Still not very bothered over something I see myself upgrading every 2-3 years.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My Nike series 5 has no issues luckily..it’s easily done though in terms of scratching it

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
Generational mechanicals are worth the Sapphire and SS/Ti/Ceramics but with a life expectancy of 4 to 5 years (imo) for an Apple Watch, stick with the aluminum in silver.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Series 5 started showing its first signs of chipping a few weeks ago (see the white spot above the Digital Crown?).
df4db96e10a9bb0cd1e0fe29f752aa3b.jpg

Still not very bothered over something I see myself upgrading every 2-3 years.

Out of curiosity, didn’t you have issues with another Apple Watch chipping in the past? [I believe you posted about it in this forum] I’m not sure what type of environment you subject your watch too, maybe they could be a contributor to the chipping perhaps.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Out of curiosity, didn’t you have issues with another Apple Watch chipping in the past? [I believe you posted about it in this forum] I’m not sure what type of environment you subject your watch too, maybe they could be a contributor to the chipping perhaps.
Thanks for the concern. :D

The only thing I can think of which might contribute to it is my exercise routine. I go jogging on and off (roughly 3-4 times a week), and after a run, I run my watch under the tap to wash off the sweat, then wipe it dry with a towel.

It's really the only thing which subjects my watch to any sort of friction, I think.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks for the concern. :D

The only thing I can think of which might contribute to it is my exercise routine. I go jogging on and off (roughly 3-4 times a week), and after a run, I run my watch under the tap to wash off the sweat, then wipe it dry with a towel.

It's really the only thing which subjects my watch to any sort of friction, I think.

Yeah, I don’t think that would cause the chipping. The 7000 series aluminum is pretty durable and can take a decent beating. But where your chip is located by the digital crown, it’s possible that came from the factory like that, being it’s not really in a common area.

Unless of course, the watch hit something that you didn’t know about or the sink when you’re through after your running.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yeah, I don’t think that would cause the chipping. The 7000 series aluminum is pretty durable and can take a decent beating. But where your chip is located by the digital crown, it’s possible that came from the factory like that, being it’s not really in a common area.

Unless of course, the watch hit something that you didn’t know about or the sink when you’re through after your running.

3f25a20bd391214a5b3792eb1da0c26d.jpg

That’s my series 2 after about 3 years (on the left) vs my series 5. The chipping (or whatever it’s called) seems to concentrate around the openings (Digital Crown and home button areas).

I might have knocked my watch against a surface or two without realising it. Curiouser and curiouser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.