Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0klu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Missouri
I bought two iPhone 3gs phones long time ago used through Amazon.com They still work great. I found a company that will let me get only phone service instead of the "data" package the regular phone companies sell. I use wi-fi instead of the 3g networking. It works for me, although the apps are getting few and far in-between. There used to be a place on the web that had a listing of all the apps for iPhone's/iPod's but don't have the link anymore. Wish there was a place that had all the old iOS 4-6 apps available.

n0klu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Missouri
Mine is the only one I can afford. I don't have the $150 plus to purchase a newer one, plus I like the fact I can use any carrier... I have one that doesn't require me to purchase the "data" package to use the phone/Wifi part.

cw48494

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
You can purchase a refurb Grade A iphone 4s from Newegg for $50, that's where I got mine in which I downgraded from iOS 9.3.5 to 6.1.3, it also accepts any carrier.

I also use a free cell service via Freedompop (AT&T/Sprint MVNO) which comes with 200mb data free and can get more by filling out surveys, it is also accompanied by 200min/500text.

Reactions: n0klu

n0klu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Missouri
You can purchase a refurb Grade A iphone 4s from Newegg for $50, that's where I got mine in which I downgraded from iOS 9.3.5 to 6.1.3, it also accepts any carrier.

I also use a free cell service via Freedompop (AT&T/Sprint MVNO) which comes with 200mb data free and can get more by filling out surveys, it is also accompanied by 200min/500text.
Cool, I'll look into that. How high of iOS will the iPhone 4s get?

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
No not at all, I still put my SIM card in one every once in a while just to get away from all the modern ammentnites, social networks, etc just to take a break. Or sometimes when going out of town. I also have multiple states maps downloaded in Maps.me for offline GPS use, works well for that too.

upLgvueh.jpg

I also have a father in law that up until last month was still using his full time, just replaced the battery this summer so it's still fresh and doing well.

In fact I just got a little worked up about iOS 11 and it's lack of software quality and large amount of bugs still present (mostly UI bugs or lockups seen on my wife's SE) and made a post using my 3GS as a reference because it's so darn stable. Even iOS 6 still runs well on it, though I've had it on 3.1.3 and 4.1, 4.2.1, 5.1, and 4.3.5 before moving to 6.1.6 for some app compatibility reasons and iMessage.

Reactions: Newton’s Apple

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
The site to find old apps is findoldapps.com.
Though, apps you can install older versions of won't be listed.

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
still have my 3g in an Otter case - I think it could be dropped off a 3 story balcony and still function - solid and robust

I just flash it up once in a while to see if it works and listen to a few tunes in iPod mode

It is cool to have to check out the old OS and old apps - it was a creative time for iOS apps back then

Agree with Avenged110 fit is great for single hand use

dandill

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
A friend of mine gave me her old iPhone 3GS back in 2013 when she upgraded to something new. I still use it to this day.

Battery still holds up, and no problems with calling or the messaging functions. Apps however, no longer work. Also unable to access my Google accounts as their new security protocols are too advanced for the old 3GS. Runs iOS 6.1.6 and I still have an original size SIM card.

I will likely be switching to a new device soon, but this one has held up for over a decade. Not bad! My main disappointment has been the difficulty in trying to back it up before I head into to store for a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.