Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2018
United States
For kicks, I keep an MP 5,1 around and upgrade it when possible to the latest mods and hardware to extend its useful life. That means installing High Sierra to use the latest AMD GPU Radeon Vega.

I also have a soft spot for Final Cut Studio, but unfortunately it isn’t supported under High Sierra.

I’d rather not give up FCS, but the MP has a new lease on life playing with the Vega. If Sierra could support the Vega, then the MP, FCS, and the Vega could all live together with one OS.

Is there a way for Sierra and the Vega to play nice? A driver for Sierra could be possible?

Nvidia GPUs are not optional. I already have an everyday iMac 5k connected to a eGPU with Nvidia 1080.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I'd like to be able to use Vega in Sierra also. Let me know how you go.

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2018
United States
I'd like to be able to use Vega in Sierra also. Let me know how you go.

As far as I know, there are no options right now for Vega support in Sierra. Someone could modify AMD GPU kexts and port Vega Pro drivers to work with Sierra. I'm sure many people would welcome it.

lilins

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2018
Villeurbanne
When you say VEGA, you mean like a Radeon RX VEGA 64?

with sierra it's gonna be hard, no support and i don't think you could temper the kext so easily :-/

lilins

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2018
Villeurbanne
Just to let you know. i discovered strange things while tampering with a mac pro 1.1 with r9 390x and my windows setup.

it becomes more and more strange to me these cards can’t initialize at boot, because efi is able to initialize them in 3 different situations:

the black screen with an _at top left corner

the black « no bootable device found »

the question mark folder.

all of them appeared and i’m pretty sure they are not system initialized, no system was booted and kext were certainly not loadedat this point.

any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.