Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I have been battling in my mind as to which Mac to get. Portability would be nice (aka powerbook), but it comes at a hefty cost. My major in college is Media Arts and Design and I will be doing a lot of digital video stuff. They recommend you to have a mac and Final Cut Pro. Would an iMac G5 be good for this? How are the innards different than the powerbook or powermac?

Please only post if you know what you are saying...ie no "well I don't see why the iMac wouldn't be fine for you" blah blah.. Thanks in advance :)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
jmufellow said:
I have been battling in my mind as to which Mac to get. Portability would be nice (aka powerbook), but it comes at a hefty cost. My major in college is Media Arts and Design and I will be doing a lot of digital video stuff. They recommend you to have a mac and Final Cut Pro. Would an iMac G5 be good for this? How are the innards different than the powerbook or powermac?

Please only post if you know what you are saying...ie no "well I don't see why the iMac wouldn't be fine for you" blah blah.. Thanks in advance :)

First off you get a G5. The Apple trainers often use g4 17" PBs, but they are not as nice as using a g5. Secondary, you can get more screen real estate. I'll let somebody comment about backside cache's etc, but if you are really going to get into editing, I really would max the memory, get at least one secondary drive, and then get the best computer I could afford. I have used (an own) FCP on a 12" 1ghz PB, and it's doable, but it's so slow and small when compared to a G5 iMac, or tower with twin LCD's.

Here's the question, if you had a desktop computer, would a cheap 300$ G3 iBook meet the marjority of you portable computer needs for a few years? If so, then I would go for the iMac and get an elchepo iBook for takeing notes and writing papers. If not, then get the best PB you can. Also, don't froget you will need at least one external firewire drive, Apple's creative suite, memory, and (if your portable) AppleCare, a spare battery, and a case.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
So, the iMac is the best computer (other than the powermac of course) for final cut pro?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
jmufellow said:
So, the iMac is the best computer (other than the powermac of course) for final cut pro?

of course it is because it has the G5 and the 2GB of RAM you can have in it. Plus the huge HD and the DVD burner

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.