Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

This ended up more of a rant than anything else. Ever since I've installed the latest few betas of iOS 10, I've constantly been getting notifications on my lock screen telling me that my iPhone storage is almost full. It pops up every time my phone is locked and there's a notification badge on the Settings app. It's now got to the point where I'm considering dashing my phone at the nearest brick wall.

There's no way to disable it from what I can see. Acknowledging the message in the settings doesn't do anything and I'd still get the message soon after.

It seems like Apple are trying to push us towards using iCloud for our storage solutions lately and I'm not interested in an iCloud subscription. I thought this constant bombardment was a bug, but we've had a few more betas since this was added and they've still not removed it. Seems like Apple is unwilling to accept that I know that my iPhone is storage running low on free space, no need to friggin' tell me every single time I go to unlock my phone. Sheesh.

Anyone else getting these message and also annoyed?

Sorry, I just had to let some steam off.

:(

Last edited:

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Well, if your storage is almost full and you feel like you're being "pushed towards using iCloud" then why don't you free up some space? The popup will go away after that, I promise.

Buy a phone with more storage next time if you don't want to use any cloud based services.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Well, if your storage is almost full and you feel like you're being "pushed towards using iCloud" then why don't you free up some space? The popup will go away after that, I promise.

Buy a phone with more storage next time if you don't want to use any cloud based services.

Problem: my device tells me it's full when I fill it up

Solution: stop filling up your device

Well jeez, thanks guys for pointing out the obvious, I didn't realise I could try and free up some space on my device or buy a larger capacity iPhone. /sarcasm

You're missing the point - why should I be constantly harassed with notifications that my iPhone has low storage when telling me once or twice and allowing me to acknowledge it is enough? Clicking 'Not Now' under their new Suggestions section in Settings to use iCloud doesn't seem to do anything and I continue to get the notifications on my lock screen. The device's storage isn't critically low.

I paid for a 64GB iPhone and I'd expect that I should be able to utilise most of that space (barring the space allocated for the OS). Having 2.1GB of free space remaining shouldn't mean that I ought to be constantly spammed with notifications informing me to consider using iCloud which costs money. I use Google's own cloud services and I'm not interested in paying for an iCloud subscription. Why does Apple think that they can bully users into paying for an iCloud storage plan? Since MacOS Sierra, they've also been recommending users to buy into an iCloud plan for storage which is fine as they're not being aggressively pushy about selling their iCloud services as they have been with my current experience on iOS.

This never used to happen with previous versions of iOS 10 and below. It's only since using the last few betas of iOS 10.2 that these notifications have suddenly appeared.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well jeez, thanks guys for pointing out the obvious, I didn't realise I could try and free up some space on my device or buy a larger capacity iPhone. /sarcasm

You're missing the point - why should I be constantly harassed with notifications that my iPhone has low storage when telling me once or twice and allowing me to acknowledge it is enough? Clicking 'Not Now' under their new Suggestions section in Settings to use iCloud doesn't seem to do anything and I continue to get the notifications on my lock screen. The device's storage isn't critically low.

I paid for a 64GB iPhone and I'd expect that I should be able to utilise most of that space (barring the space allocated for the OS). Having 2.1GB of free space remaining shouldn't mean that I ought to be constantly spammed with notifications informing me to consider using iCloud which costs money. I use Google's own cloud services and I'm not interested in paying for an iCloud subscription. Why does Apple think that they can bully users into paying for an iCloud storage plan? Since MacOS Sierra, they've also been recommending users to buy into an iCloud plan for storage which is fine as they're not being aggressively pushy about selling their iCloud services as they have been with my current experience on iOS.

This never used to happen with previous versions of iOS 10 and below. It's only since using the last few betas of iOS 10.2 that these notifications have suddenly appeared.
Sounds like something is off in your case as I don't believe you should be getting low space notifications even with 1 GB free, let alone something more than that, and certainly shouldn't be getting them consistently.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
2 possible solutions here:

-when 10.3 is released in final form, install it using iTunes as a reset and restore. That will clear all the beta logs and other stuff that accumulated during the beta period. That can release several gigs.

-Assuming you have less than 8GB free, use "The Two Towers" trick: go to iTunes, select the film The Two Towers (Tolkien), which is roughly 9 GB in size. Attempt to download it. iOS will clear its cache to make room for the movie (and, when it clears the cache and there is still not enough room, it will stop without actually downloading the movie). NOTE: You should probably have no more than 2-3 GB free when you try this, as with any more than that free, you might end up with the film actually downloading if enough cache is cleared.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Something off topic... would you pleae share the wallpaper?
Hi guys,

This ended up more of a rant than anything else. Ever since I've installed the latest few betas of iOS 10, I've constantly been getting notifications on my lock screen telling me that my iPhone storage is almost full. It pops up every time my phone is locked and there's a notification badge on the Settings app. It's now got to the point where I'm considering dashing my phone at the nearest brick wall.

There's no way to disable it from what I can see. Acknowledging the message in the settings doesn't do anything and I'd still get the message soon after.

It seems like Apple are trying to push us towards using iCloud for our storage solutions lately and I'm not interested in an iCloud subscription. I thought this constant bombardment was a bug, but we've had a few more betas since this was added and they've still not removed it. Seems like Apple is unwilling to accept that I know that my iPhone is storage running low on free space, no need to friggin' tell me every single time I go to unlock my phone. Sheesh.

Tritto

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2014
I was also getting the almost full message, which I ignored. Then last weekend I updated a bunch of apps all at once and some failed due to low memory. Soon after the screen stopped responding and then the phone shut down completely and wouldn't restart. I thought the screen had died.
First thing I did was try to back it up through iTunes (the dock connector still worked) but it wouldn't back up. Finally I managed to reset it but still couldn't back it up. Once I deleted a bunch of music and unwanted apps to free up space it's working fine again.
Admittedly 2gb seems early to be letting you know of an almost full memory, but you ignore this message at your peril.

Reactions: djsteen

Sierra2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2017
Hi guys,

Yes I actually have bn looking into extra storage options

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The flip side to this is someone doing something important and being surprised they have no space. As far as option to shut off the warnings, well thats just Apple for you (see annoying low battery notifications) not an attempt to sell you something although isn't a terrible suggestion.

Also you can get 256gb of storage on an iPhone so unless you are filling that up them trying to push iCloud is moot.

If you have a Mac iCloud Photo Library is pretty good btw. I keep it enabled on my iPad and iPhone and disabled on my Mac (so I have the originals locally). Saves a ton of space although I've read of people with massive libraries having a bit of issues, nothing I've personally experienced though.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012

It's annoying as hell but it's needed.
I remeber when I broke my 128GB 6S I moved to an 64gb SE. I lived daily with those notifications. I freed up space next day it's telling me again. Why? Because it know in a few hours I won't be able to receive emails. One point my iPhone was rubbish like a Nokia due to space. IMO it's worth having.

serenasmith457

Suspended
Mar 28, 2017
Well, this maybe happened because your iPhone has a lot of cache, temp files, corrupted files or crashed log.

Here is my suggestions.
1. Delete files one by one, which is time consuming.
2. Reset iPhone by “Settings > General > Erase All Content and Settings”. This way you will lost all of data.
3. I used to iPhone Storage Almost Full messages on my iPhone 6. Then I tried a tool called iMyFone Umate Pro using "1-Click Free Up Space" mode. I find the tool freed up a lot of space so I used it regularly now.

You can try one of those that makes you feel great.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
A bug in HFS pre 10.3?
Issue with the directory or storage
Corrupt Spotlight index
Moving file segments around
All the reasons for APFS
Some had no trouble with the update and conversion but others did
10.3 saved space and makes better use

HFS likes to have a % of free space. So 10% would have been 6.4GB
I prefer 20-40% Freespace

Ripjobs

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
You sir, and forgive me are a the end brass dome with a clapper in it! My phone is 128gb and and i use iCloud as little as possible. The pop ups are annoying and now in iOS 11 you get a horrible red dot in settings to remind you as well. Why can't I use I cloud for the stuff I want and leave it at that? Don't tell me It is almost full.... I sort of know that!

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Hi guys,

Forget the issue, that's a nice wallpaper you got here

Reactions: JerseyGuy28

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If its a beta, then that's could be the problem as well. Just because its ok for some doesn't assume its ok for everyone else.. But we keep assuming allot lately..

Never installed beta software, but if u are running non-beta iOS, then free up space... At least a stable release is better.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Leaving too little free space left on your device could potentially damage the device storage chip on the long run and causes data corruption when chip is degraded. No wonder why iOS will constantly warn you the free space is not enough.

JerseyGuy28

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2017
Leaving too little free space left on your device could potentially damage the device storage chip on the long run and causes data corruption when chip is degraded. No wonder why iOS will constantly warn you the free space is not enough.

Not true! Last week, I deleted 700 MB of old photos and videos and had over 1GB of free space on my iPhone. But I still keep getting bombarded with those annoying "iCloud storage almost full" messages on my home screen. I'm getting them 10 to 15 times per day.

I'm sure this will keep happening until I sign up and pay for more than 5G worth of storage space on the iCloud - which I refuse to do.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

I paid for a 64GB iPhone ...

That argument lost its credibility (if it ever had any), years ago. Computers need working storage, if you fill up the storage on ANY device on ANY technology then bad stuff happens - which you would no doubt then be blaming on Apple. "Critical" is relative, you are stuck being guided by what Apple defines as the appropriate warning level. Contrary to the tinfoilhatwearers there really isn't any conspiracy to sell more storage by dumbly set warning levels...

Mmelahouris

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Sounds like something is off in your case as I don't believe you should be getting low space notifications even with 1 GB free, let alone something more than that, and certainly shouldn't be getting them consistently.

Happens to me as well. I think the notications are actually alerting me to the fact that my free iCloud space isn't enough to backup my iPhone. But I agree that once or twice is enough. I get it. But I don't want to buy more could space for that. This is a mistake imo as this has a high pressure sales feel to it the same as most cell phone service and internet providers do. I'm sure it is bringing in more money but is also negatively impacting their brand.

Soldavi

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2017
Wish there was a fix for this issue. I have an iPad Storage almost full message/alert on my iPad plus and I have more than 60gig of free space. Apple suggested I reset the device, which I did, but that doesn’t clear the alert. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If its almost full, u need to get more free space to...You may not need that space now, but that's not really the meaning of the message. It means "your running out of space" and if u don't act on it, you will run out..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.