Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimx26

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2018
Yep another one!

I’ve got both sitting on my desk still sealed (Nike+) I got the S5 for £359 and picked up the S4 for £299 plus a potential but not guaranteed £34 cashback.

Issue is I can’t decide which one to keep. Money isn’t really an issue but I do like to get a bargain! When I think I’ve made up my mind I change it again. The S4 will be a huge upgrade over my series 0 but I’m a sucker for the latest tech.

So help me out MR which one should I keep? For info the S4 has the sport loop which I like the look of but never actually tried one on and I’ve read they are a pain to clean.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I have a SS S4, but just bought a Nike+ S5 yesterday. For me the always on display alone makes it worth it. Plus I LOVE the new Nike+ watch faces! If money is no issue, go for the latest one and skip the S4

Reactions: Jimx26

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Go for S5. Price difference is so small. The S5 gives you all the features of S4 plus AOD, 32GB storage and compass. I have several sport loop bands and they are very easy to clean.

Reactions: Duncan68 and Jimx26

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Since you’re upgrading from an original watch, it looks like you’re planning g to keep it for a while. I’d go with the series 5 just for the extra thing a that may become more important in the future (compass, extra storage, aid, etc)

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
If you are one of the people that don’t charge overnight and want to get a lot more than just 18h of battery - take the S4.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yep another one!

I’ve got both sitting on my desk still sealed (Nike+) I got the S5 for £359 and picked up the S4 for £299 plus a potential but not guaranteed £34 cashback.

Issue is I can’t decide which one to keep. Money isn’t really an issue but I do like to get a bargain! When I think I’ve made up my mind I change it again. The S4 will be a huge upgrade over my series 0 but I’m a sucker for the latest tech.

So help me out MR which one should I keep? For info the S4 has the sport loop which I like the look of but never actually tried one on and I’ve read they are a pain to clean.

You answered your own question, you said ‘you’re a sucker for the latest tech’ and you upgraded from the first GEN Apple Watch to the Series 5, so...keep the Series 5. In terms of longevity, it will receive the most updates, plus you have all the latest features.

Jimx26

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2018
You answered your own question, you said ‘you’re a sucker for the latest tech’ and you upgraded from the first GEN Apple Watch to the Series 5, so...keep the Series 5. In terms of longevity, it will receive the most updates, plus you have all the latest features.
Yep, I think you are right. I was always leaning that way tbh.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Yeah, we already talked about this. You are fine with a day of battery, I am not. My S4 lasts 2 days with everything but the noise monitoring activated. The S5 doesn’t get near 2 days, unfortunately.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
But why buy a watch that is listed as having 18 hour life if you want 48 hours? Or at least having bought it, don’t complain it doesn’t last the 48 hours you wanted.

Reactions: Otflyer and Jimx26

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Look. Apple states how they were using the watch to rate the battery life: https://www.apple.com/watch/battery/

Now, if you do not check the time 90x a day, don't get 90 notifications but less, don't workout for an hour while streaming music and don't make any phone calls, it obviously does last longer.

My S3 lasts 2 days, easily. My S4 lasts 2 days when it's a slow day, otherwise it's more like 1.5 days. I'd just expect the S5 not to differ too much from that with my own, same usage. But it's worse than the S4 and this makes me unhappy. If you are fine with that, no problem, do what you please. I personally just don't like charging it every day and I'd rather pass on the always on display than on the battery. So if OP charges every day or every night and it's good for him, he should get the S5. If the doesn't like to charge it every day, all I'm saying that he might prefer the S4 then.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
My S5 lasts like my S4, IF I turn off noise listening and AOD. I'm fine with this. I like having the AOD option for times when I might want to glance. As far as future proofing, I understand the S5 internal hardware other than memory and the screen controller is the same as the S4. If the new S5 features are not needed, the S4 should be an excellent choice, especially at a discount.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Yeah, we already talked about this. You are fine with a day of battery, I am not. My S4 lasts 2 days with everything but the noise monitoring activated. The S5 doesn’t get near 2 days, unfortunately.
It’s not designed to.
[automerge]1575739643[/automerge]
@Otflyer

How to clean the Sport Loop?
I just rinse it under warm water When it gets sweaty..

uknation87

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I was in the same situation... I ended up going with the Nike + S4 option simply because the AOD was nothing that got me excited.

Outside of that and the new compass, these watches are identical builds on the inside. So, if the AOD is a must have then go with the 5. If not, the S4 is the best option without question.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
It’s not designed to.

Blah. I posted the link where Apple states how they came up with their 18h rating. If you use it differently, your battery lifetime will be different, too. It's not "designed" to last 18h, it lasts 18h under the circumstances Apple tested it.

Reactions: rMBP2013

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Blah. I posted the link where Apple states how they came up with their 18h rating. If you use it differently, your battery lifetime will be different, too. It's not "designed" to last 18h, it lasts 18h under the circumstances Apple tested it.
My S5’s consume between 2.5-3.0% per hour. Apple Watch may not be for you or you have a weak battery.

Reactions: Precursor

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Is it an LTE S5? My S4 consumes slightly under 2%. Anyway, OP has already made his decision, no need to discuss the battery here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.