Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I am back to using an iPhone 4S with iOS 6.1.3 (not jailbroken). I am always taken aback by how smooth and buttery this iPhone is- even compared to my wife's iPhone 7 (running iOS 11).

Reactions: trellus and Feyl

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
I still use an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.4 as my daily driver. It only has a few apps on it and it does everything I need it to do: phone, texts, music, camera, and basic internet. I love iOS 6 so much, I can't imagine being forced to use whatever crap they put out today. And because it's always worth mentioning; the music app is fantastic.

I recently found (so lucky) a device I've always wanted on eBay: a 64GB black iPod touch fifth generation running 6.0.1. Because I could never get to a 64GB iPhone 5, this was the next best thing, and it is a joy to use.

I also use my iPad 3 (6.1.3) every morning for Twitter and my iPad 2 (6.1.3) as my alarm clock. They don't get used very often, but I also have a 32GB iPhone 5 (6.1.4) with a failed baseband and battery issue, 16GB A1429 iPhone 5 (6.1.4), 16GB iPhone 4S (6.1.3) as my backup, an 8GB iPhone 4 (6.0.1), and a handful of things running older than iOS 6.

Someday I hope to find (unlikely, but I can dream) a 64GB A1428 iPhone 5 on iOS 6, preferably in black.

mwjdavies

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Uk
I’m still using a iPod touch 1st gen on iOS 3 !
I’m living in the past, iOS 6 is the future :)

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
I still use an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.4 as my daily driver. It only has a few apps on it and it does everything I need it to do: phone, texts, music, camera, and basic internet. I love iOS 6 so much, I can't imagine being forced to use whatever crap they put out today. And because it's always worth mentioning; the music app is fantastic.

I recently found (so lucky) a device I've always wanted on eBay: a 64GB black iPod touch fifth generation running 6.0.1. Because I could never get to a 64GB iPhone 5, this was the next best thing, and it is a joy to use.

I also use my iPad 3 (6.1.3) every morning for Twitter and my iPad 2 (6.1.3) as my alarm clock. They don't get used very often, but I also have a 32GB iPhone 5 (6.1.4) with a failed baseband and battery issue, 16GB A1429 iPhone 5 (6.1.4), 16GB iPhone 4S (6.1.3) as my backup, an 8GB iPhone 4 (6.0.1), and a handful of things running older than iOS 6.

Someday I hope to find (unlikely, but I can dream) a 64GB A1428 iPhone 5 on iOS 6, preferably in black.
When a 10.3.3. jb comes out you can downgrade. Well actually, it's possible even with something like 9.3.5 because of an OTA glitch but I don't recommend it because one of two things will happen: The update will be a success and the jailbreak will be gone, kr: the update will fail and you'll be in a bootloop causing you to go to IOS 10.3.3 which is unjailbreakable currently.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
When a 10.3.3. jb comes out you can downgrade. Well actually, it's possible even with something like 9.3.5 because of an OTA glitch but I don't recommend it because one of two things will happen: The update will be a success and the jailbreak will be gone, kr: the update will fail and you'll be in a bootloop causing you to go to iOS 10.3.3 which is unjailbreakable currently.
I would never trust a downgrade. I prefer something natively running 6.x.
I’m still using a iPod touch 1st gen on iOS 3!
I’m living in the past, iOS 6 is the future :)
Hah, nice. You've got to try using an iPod touch 1st gen. on iOS 1. It's pretty cool (aside from the bugginess.)

Reactions: mwjdavies

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'll be joining this crew soon as I just placed an order for a 16GB iPhone 5 running iOS 6 last night. It's from a company that resells display models so they're not brand new but guaranteed to be in great condition. They also don't specify which version of iOS 6 so it'll be like an easter egg when I get it. Slate would have been ideal but the white with the glossy chamfered edges looks almost just as incredible.

Can't wait!

Reactions: Tozovac

dr34mc4st3r

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
Singapore
I took a risk and downgraded my iPad 3 from 9.3.5 to 6.1.3 using Cydia and Coolbooter. Oh my gosh, 6.1.3 is buttery smooth on my iPad 3, almost teared..I have not experienced this for years. And the animations are much quicker than modern iOS versions. I think I going to hang out with 6.1.3 for a while. Safari is still usable.

EDIT: And the wonderful NO LAG keyboard...this is too much goodness again.

Reactions: Tozovac

Wzorek21

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
your answer seems no :)

i wish i could, i m using IPhone 4S and IPad2 with A5 chip, and with IOS9 they re slow :)

with ios6 my idevices were perfect !
Downgrade your devices with ios9.3.5 you can jailbreak and downgrade all the way back to ios 6. I did and my iphone 4s works great.

n0klu

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
Missouri
I guess I am still old school with a minor update to new school, sort of....
I still use my old iPhone 3gs and of course it only gets iOS 6.1 so very few apps will run on it.
I wish there were a couple ballistic apps I could get for it but they don't seem to exist anymore.

iOS6.1.3

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
Discord - ***chris***#5939
Use it everyday, have quite a few devices with it running on it, and love it

iPhone 4 iOS 6.1.3
iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.3
iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.2
iPod Touch 4 iOS 6.1.6
iPad 4 iOS 6.1.6

Last edited:

KingSH007

Suspended
May 31, 2017
So, since about a week ago, living with iOS 6 got a bit harder: Google Images no longer enlarge in Safari, and some websites (like Apple's) refuse to load.

Since a few months ago, Disqus stopped working on Safari as well.

Using a newer browser like Puffin fixes this, but you lose the convenience of having only one browser.

cw48494

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
So, since about a week ago, living with iOS 6 got a bit harder: Google Images no longer enlarge in Safari, and some websites (like Apple's) refuse to load.

Since a few months ago, Disqus stopped working on Safari as well.

Using a newer browser like Puffin fixes this, but you lose the convenience of having only one browser.

Which device? Apple loads fine on my 4s/5, however images on Google will not enlarge, I'm sure that can be tweaked.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Still using iOS 6 on an iPod Touch 4g, and I might possibly install it on the iPhone 4 that is currently running iOS 7.

Anyway, iOS 6 still supports everything that I need: Twitter, Youtube (and a youtube downloader), Reddit, iCloud Photo Sharing, some games, and a plethora of jailbreak tweaks.

How would you install it on a 4? Isn’t it impossible to do that, due to apple’s Chinese finger trap way of managing software updates? Or is the phone jailbroken?
[doublepost=1514518530][/doublepost]

I’ve stayed with mavericks on my MacBook Air because I just can’t tolerate the look and feel of the Fisher-Price OS X after mavericks, but similarly, google images no longer load in safari in mavericks.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
How would you install it on a 4? Isn’t it impossible to do that, due to apple’s Chinese finger trap way of managing software updates? Or is the phone jailbroken?
[doublepost=1514518530][/doublepost]

I’ve stayed with mavericks on my MacBook Air because I just can’t tolerate the look and feel of the Fisher-Price OS X after mavericks, but similarly, google images no longer load in safari in mavericks.
Firstly, yes you can tether downgrade the iPhone 4 to 6. Secondly, Safari 9.1.3 on Mavericks works perfectly for me. Mavericks still has a great deal of support, so I don't know what your deal is with it.
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 1.48.48 AM.png
[doublepost=1514533950][/doublepost]
Which device? Apple loads fine on my 4s/5, however images on Google will not enlarge, I'm sure that can be tweaked.
I can enlarge images on Google Images and load Apple just fine on my iPhone 4S and iPad 4.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Mavericks still has a great deal of support, so I don't know what your deal is with it.

Looks like it was something with Google that’s now been fixed according to this thread. However I have yet to verify it myself.

https://support.google.com/websearch/forum/AAAAgtjJeM4Vx3JYvxm89o/?hl=en

In typical minimalist fashion that’s ruining websites, apps, and ios/OSX, there’s no quick and easy way to go to the very bottom of the thread other than keep loading pages for five minutes. But after loading responses with about 50 screen taps, it looks like it’s something in the background that Google fixed.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Just downgraded my mom's old iPad 2 from 9.3.5 to 6.1.3. Wow is all I can say. It's insane how much snappier it is. Sadly a lot of apps don't work anymore, but man do I miss this design and performance :(

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Just downgraded my mom's old iPad 2 from 9.3.5 to 6.1.3. Wow is all I can say. It's insane how much snappier it is. Sadly a lot of apps don't work anymore, but man do I miss this design and performance :(
It’s like a fresh breath of air when you go back. A different design and experience, and the added performance boost is a nice addition too.

cw48494

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Got safari to load bigger images, I guess it didn't work for only a short period.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
One of my favorites! If I could run a slate iPad Mini and slate iPhone 5 on 6, I would be extremely happy.
I think you can downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 on the iPhone 5 and then use Coolbooter to run iOS 6 on there. I've had issues activating on 8.4.1 so I haven't been able to test it out yet, but there's a "fix" for it.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I think you can downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 on the iPhone 5 and then use Coolbooter to run iOS 6 on there. I've had issues activating on 8.4.1 so I haven't been able to test it out yet, but there's a "fix" for it.
I know. When the iOS 10 exploit for 32-bit devices is completed, you can do it on 10. I have an iPod Touch 5G on 9.3.5 and 6.1.3, but it's not the same as running stock iOS 6. Some things still don't function properly. It's even worse on my 1st gen iPad Mini.

iSearch

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
I still have iOS 6 on my iPhone 5 that I have been using for five years now, but I am missing out on modern features. My iPad Pro is on iOS 10 and my MacBook Pro is on macOS Sierra. I thought about theming my Mac to make it look like Mavericks before buying it, but honestly the UI design on Sierra is not bothering at all. iOS UI design should take more cues from macOS UI in terms of color and contrast in my opinion.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I still have iOS 6 on my iPhone 5 that I have been using for five years now, but I am missing out on modern features. My iPad Pro is on iOS 10 and my MacBook Pro is on macOS Sierra. I thought about theming my Mac to make it look like Mavericks before buying it, but honestly the UI design on Sierra is not bothering at all. iOS UI design should take more cues from macOS UI in terms of color and contrast in my opinion.
You're liking the macOS variant more, because it's almost identical to Mavericks and older in design and functionality. High Sierra is the first version of the "modern" era to actually bring under the hood changes. High Sierra is smoother with system animations and such, but loading times are slower and many apps run very flaky for some reason (Photoshop CS6 hates HS)

iOS on the other hand changes every year, which is annoying because it breaks a thousand things, and makes older devices run like garbage, because Apple didn't bother to optimize the changes they made. My 6S throttles to performance levels you'd expect from a 5S or 6, yet my 6S still outperforms those devices, even though they are running at the same speeds. I never noticed it until recently and it adds to the flame that Apple is doing something to older devices and we can't figure out what. #Capitalism

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.