Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoloYolo

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Vancouver, Canuckistan
I have various older iOS devices running variants of their launch iOS versions, but one device, an iPod Touch 5 running on iOS 6.1.3, still sees use as a music player every day. The battery lasts surprisingly long because of that, even though the iPod is quickly approaching 6 years of age.

What about you? Are you still holding on to iOS 6? What is your main reason for sticking with it in 2018?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have various older iOS devices running variants of their launch iOS versions, but one device, an iPod Touch 5 running on iOS 6.1.3, still sees use as a music player every day. The battery lasts surprisingly long because of that, even though the iPod is quickly approaching 6 years of age.

What about you? Are you still holding on to iOS 6? What is your main reason for sticking with it in 2018?
Probably mostly the same things as are mentioned and discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-active-ios-6-users-in-2017.2035105/

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I have been selling a few iPhones I had sitting around from over the past few years, now that I condensed all my stuff on the iPhone 8 and adjusted to many of the apps that don't work on IOS 11. Because of this, I came across my first iPhone- an iPhone 4 black, and gosh darn does this thing look and work good enough to use still.

I am still missing those simpler times, with the interesting Note Pad app, early style of app faces, and the most missed- the simpler music and video players, without all the subscription defaults and nonsense, where I could enjoy my iTunes purchases and flip through them in a simple, easy to use player.

I am convinced if over time they had only upgraded the internals, the camera module, and the 30PIN connector to the lightning or UBC C power input, that would have been enough for me. In my opinion all the extras that are on to rope us in to subscriptions and tracking and so on really hurt overall usefulness of the things I have and do on my phone.

Last edited:

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
I still use it on all my iOS devices (save a few old ones) including my main phone (iPhone 5).
iPhone 5 x3 on 6.1.4; iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPod touch 5th gen., iPad 2, iPad 3rd gen. on 6.1.3
I use the iPads everyday, the 4S is my backup, and I use the 5th gen. touch anytime I'm not using my clickwheel iPod or 1st gen. touches.

I really only want a more power efficient iPhone 5 with the newer camera tech. As long as it runs iOS 6, that's really all I would ask.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I downgraded my iPad 2 from iOS 9.3.5 to iOS 6.1.3, however i'm having a quirky issue maybe someone knows how to fix or can explain what's happening.

When I sign in with my Apple ID, it sets up my iCloud account but when I start Safari on the iPad 2, none of my bookmarks appear so that tells me they have not been synced. The other problem i'm having is with iTunes. I have music I purchased that when I go to stream them from the Cloud they play in demo mode meaning they stop at exactly the same spot. Unforunately I didn't time it but it seems around 15 secs or so and the music quits.

If I go to my Mac mini running High Sierra or my original iPad Air running the latest version of iOS 11 everything shows up and there's no restriction to the music being played from the Cloud. I even tried resetting the iPad 2 by erasing all data and settings and no luck.

Any ideas?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I use the only device I have left that can use iOS 6. It's an iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6.0 - yes, it's first version ever - bought as soon as it launched in my country - December 2012. Works flawlessly, battery still works perfectly too, it'll stay there. It's the device I like the most.

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
I've tested a ton of browsers for IOS 6, only two are actually usable, Maxthon and Chrome. (Maxthon is better than Chrome on iPad, not on phones though)

Last edited:

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
iPad 4 128GB on iOS 6.1.3 - in use every day as a reader, podcast player and email client

iPhone 4S at the moment awaiting new battery, used primarily as a backup phone for my SIM from home (living abroad at the moment) to receive SMS and occasional calls

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I'm still kicking with the iPhone 4S(6.1.3) and iPad 4(6.0.1), but I have also added my iPad Mini 1(6.1.3) to the mix as well as my iPod touch 4G(6.1.6) and my 5G with CoolBooter 9.3.5 and 6.1.2. iOS 6 is my go to when iOS 11 is getting really frustrating on my 6S. Throttling has been completely removed from my 6S, but it doesn't perform nearly as well as 6 does on my older devices. The oldest device I have running 6 is my iPod Touch 4G, but even that little guy is really quick. It's a little laggy, but doesn't really hamper it's overall performance. I really hope Apple fixes everything in iOS 12 like they say they will. I find it a little unsettling that Apple made iOS 6 as a refinement to 5, but managed to add 200+ features and changes without issue where they have failed to do the same with 7-11. It upsets me to see something I once used and loved get destroyed and abandoned. What happened to iOS? I've been trying to find it since 2013 and I still can't find where it went.

One last thing I would like to ask is why people wanted iOS to change in the first place? I don't quite understand what the UI change in iOS 7 did to make iOS "better." Was the UI change in sacrifice for lack of performance and a logical UI/UX really worth the trade off? Is iOS today any better than what 6 did back in 2012? These are all wonderful questions that seem to be overlooked. What we once took for granted in iOS legacy is now gone, leaving us with a manipulated mindset that every little bug and all the laggy poor performance is fine, and Apple is doing their best when they have gone completely backwards from where they were in 2012.

Would you rather use a design that instantly familiar, that tells you what to do visually and logically with smooth ease, or would you rather have to figure it out yourself and hope that where you tap and what you do actually works properly?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I only have one iOS 6 device left that I use daily. Its my iOS 6.1.6 iPod Touch 4th gen (thats on its last leg because a myrid of issues including a crooked housing, a bleeding LCD screen, a "unresponsive" home button and, a shot battery) I also still have my old iPhone 4S still on iOS 6.1.3 however, I retired it a few years ago to play around with Android.

I'm trying to keep this device running as long as possible. I've always preferred the old iOS 6 UI (to the point where back when I had a iOS 7 iPad I installed iOS 6 era shortcuts on it) and, even went out of my way back in 2013 when my first iPod Touch 4th gen was declared totaled to use the credit to go buy another 4th gen because it maxes out on iOS 6. However, starting this year, living with my iPod has become a lot tougher. Apps all of a sudden don't function anymore (Youtube just quit working on me today), I'm getting crashes all the time and worst of all, my homebutton has randomly stopped registering inputs. The accessibility home button is causing even more crashes when I have it on screen.

When I do have to retire this device, I'm probably going to keep my archaic iPod as the stable device while I go out and jailbreak the newer one. I'll get around to repairing most of the problems one day, but, for now, I'm seriously considering buying a new device and keeping the old one for another day.

Reactions: rafark

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
I know Apple still signs the 4S for 6.1.3 yet don't know how you are able to downgrade your iPhone 4 to the same firmware. Please share as I'd like to do the same thing.
It's a tethered downgrade, I used this tutorial:
If you have an iPhone 3,1 then you can skip this whole process and just use 3utools.

Reactions: braddick

iscand

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
I recently resuscitated a 4S by downgrading it to iOS 6. I use it as GPS tracker, for some old 32 bit apps that are no longer supported and as a backup device for emergency situations. If I wasn't worried about the security issues, I could use it as main device.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
i use my 3GS on 6.1.6 as my music player. Not the fastest but definitely usable.

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
I know Apple still signs the 4S for 6.1.3 yet don't know how you are able to downgrade your iPhone 4 to the same firmware. Please share as I'd like to do the same thing.
No need for the tether downgrade anymore, you can now use coolbooter to install IOS 6 and then install coolbooter untether.
[doublepost=1522854563][/doublepost]
I recently resuscitated a 4S by downgrading it to iOS 6. I use it as GPS tracker, for some old 32 bit apps that are no longer supported and as a backup device for emergency situations. If I wasn't worried about the security issues, I could use it as main device.
If you're jailbroken, you can use the ssl patch and tiff disabler for better security.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.