Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PurpleHello98

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2018
For my birthday in 2013, I got an iPad 2 with iOS 6 preinstalled. It was my first iOS, so I didn't know how to update, and by the time I did, it was already full bevause it was a 16 gigabyte model. I got an iPod touch 5th gen later, but that came with iOS 8. I also got an iPhone 3GS as a hand-me-down from my aunt when she upgraded to a newer iPhone. I dtill use the iPad to browse the Internet and social media, and occasionally text, though most things i use my iPod for. I am planning on getting an iPhone 8 Plus soon as my iPod is getting old, and I'm getting a new iPad for school, though my current iPad will probably still be used for Internet browsing and email while I'm at home.

JesusCrust

Suspended
Aug 4, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
iPod Touch 5 (32gb, blue) on iOS 6.1.3 as a music player (iTunes and Spotify). I've been using it for such purposes since I got my first iPhone in the spring of 2013; before I used more of its functions as I didn't have a modern smartphone. I got it on iOS 6.0 and wish I kept it on that version but it's probably a good thing I stopped updating after 6.1.3. This is probably the one Apple product I've used and held onto for the longest time and it still looks and works like new even though it's seen quite a lot throughout the years.

Luckily I also have an iPhone 5 (Canadian, 64gb, black) that runs iOS 6.0 and I somehow bought it for a ridiculously low price on ebay. It was an auction and I thought the bids would be insane (up to four figures) but I managed to win it for about US$110 before taxes and shipping (this is a rough conversion from CA$). I'm actually using this as my primary phone right now since I sold my Google Pixel 2 in preparation to buy the Samsung Galaxy Note 9. It's basically like using a modern burner phone but a less clunky one at that. I bought this phone expecting it to come with 6.1.4 or something newer (and at the time I wanted that because my first modern smartphone was a 32gb white 5 running 6.1.3, and later, 6.1.4, which it still runs today as its new owner bought it from me for that reason). Instead, I received one of the first iPhone 5's ever made (September 2012 build date according to chipmunk.nl) which is kind of cool I guess.

From time to time I also use my iPad Mini 1 LTE (Canadian, 16gb, black) running iOS 6.1.3 (mainly when I max out my phone's data plan which is rare but happens) as a mobile hotspot but nothing more than that.

I don't even use this but I'll throw it in anyways: an iPhone 4S (Canadian, 16gb, white) running iOS 6.1.3 in near mint condition aside from scratches on the screen (previous owner used a case but she didn't use a screen protector for some reason). I bought it running iOS 8.4.1 just for the purpose of downgrading using iTunes when that was first discovered.

Reactions: Avenged110

kkoki

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
I have various older iOS devices running variants of their launch iOS versions, but one device, an iPod Touch 5 running on iOS 6.1.3, still sees use as a music player every day. The battery lasts surprisingly long because of that, even though the iPod is quickly approaching 6 years of age.

What about you? Are you still holding on to iOS 6? What is your main reason for sticking with it in 2018?

Hey there,
I am typing this on my iPhone 5 that has iOS 6.1.4. I got my phone in 2012 and it's still working. Indeed, I can't use Whatsapp or FaceTime or Snapchat, but Instagram is working (the old version) and my battery is still alive even if it's cold and I haven't charged it for a day or more. Most people have to buy a new phone every two years due to battery issues, system issues or out of habit, but I will stick on my lovely old school iOS 6 phone until someone is willing to pay me for it :) Also the aesthetic is very simple and I like the way you can close an app and that you can swipe to music and volume.

valmorte

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
I have various older iOS devices running variants of their launch iOS versions, but one device, an iPod Touch 5 running on iOS 6.1.3, still sees use as a music player every day. The battery lasts surprisingly long because of that, even though the iPod is quickly approaching 6 years of age.

What about you? Are you still holding on to iOS 6? What is your main reason for sticking with it in 2018?[/QUOTE

Im using my old Ipad2 to reply to your post :)
The reason for keeping the old ios ??
Sinple... it works fine ,, right up untill something gets updated...
and YES the battery lasts exceptionally long.. average 8-10 hours under average usage...
I thought a bit ahead and downloaded all the apps I wanted (that diddnt need a constant Internet connection)
,,knowing that they would become non exsistant after so long...

Have no intents of goofing up a wonderfull OLD ipad .
When ios 6 is denied access from the web ( ..???) I'll still have 32 gigs of games and apps/programs.

Im using my old I pad2,, running ios 6.1.2 to reply to your post :)

Reactions: rafark

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
I only have one iOS 6 device left that I use daily. Its my iOS 6.1.6 iPod Touch 4th gen (thats on its last leg because a myrid of issues including a crooked housing, a bleeding LCD screen, a "unresponsive" home button and, a shot battery) I also still have my old iPhone 4S still on iOS 6.1.3 however, I retired it a few years ago to play around with Android.

I'm trying to keep this device running as long as possible. I've always preferred the old iOS 6 UI (to the point where back when I had a iOS 7 iPad I installed iOS 6 era shortcuts on it) and, even went out of my way back in 2013 when my first iPod Touch 4th gen was declared totaled to use the credit to go buy another 4th gen because it maxes out on iOS 6. However, starting this year, living with my iPod has become a lot tougher. Apps all of a sudden don't function anymore (Youtube just quit working on me today), I'm getting crashes all the time and worst of all, my homebutton has randomly stopped registering inputs. The accessibility home button is causing even more crashes when I have it on screen.

When I do have to retire this device, I'm probably going to keep my archaic iPod as the stable device while I go out and jailbreak the newer one. I'll get around to repairing most of the problems one day, but, for now, I'm seriously considering buying a new device and keeping the old one for another day.
Very similar here as well. It's sad to see how bad the iPod touch has aged. Long gone are the days when this device was absolutely amazing in every sense.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Very similar here as well. It's sad to see how bad the iPod touch has aged. Long gone are the days when this device was absolutely amazing in every sense.

Yeah the iPod is basically a thing of the past. I can count on my fingers the amount of people I know personally that still carry one. Even the current one (6th gen) was released unannounced back in 2015 and outdated from day 1!

Thankfully even in its crippled state, I still have a great use for mine: listening to music during my long commute when I get bored of streaming albums from Youtube on my phone (interesting note, Youtube has sorted itself out on iOS 6. It finally works again [to watch videos] without having to re-download the app due to that annoying flawed programming asking you to update the app to a version not compatible with iOS 6)

maclynx

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

I've got an iPhone 3GS since many years ago as my everyday phone. iOS 6.1.6 jailbroken. I'm very happy with it, don't need more but loosing apps support one by one. Nevermind while I can still make calls and use some apps.

I write here to ask if anyone is having problems with GPS location. Since maybe 10 days it is not working for me, in any app (weather, maps, etc). No icon showing in top right. Haven't touch anything. Have reset network settings, play with 3G and wifi settings, etc. Nothing fix it.
I have another 3GS for backup and spare parts which is behaving the same...so I don't think is a hardware problem (GPS antenna, dirty inside, etc.)...so I think maybe Apple has stopped giving GPS support in anyway (if it is possible by them). Anyone suffering the same?

Thank you and best regards from Spain

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Hello everyone,

I've got an iPhone 3GS since many years ago as my everyday phone. iOS 6.1.6 jailbroken. I'm very happy with it, don't need more but loosing apps support one by one. Nevermind while I can still make calls and use some apps.

I write here to ask if anyone is having problems with GPS location. Since maybe 10 days it is not working for me, in any app (weather, maps, etc). No icon showing in top right. Haven't touch anything. Have reset network settings, play with 3G and wifi settings, etc. Nothing fix it.
I have another 3GS for backup and spare parts which is behaving the same...so I don't think is a hardware problem (GPS antenna, dirty inside, etc.)...so I think maybe Apple has stopped giving GPS support in anyway (if it is possible by them). Anyone suffering the same?

I believe that is a 3GS specific issue. My iPhone 4S still gets up to date map data and grabs directions and navigation with iOS 6 buttery smoothness all the time.

brigante

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
Hello everyone,

I’m having the same issue on an iPhone 4S with 6.1.3 installed.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Hello everyone,

There was a GPS date rollover on April 6th. I heard it would probably affect devices prior to roughly 2011-2012, which seems to be the case as GPS no longer functions on my iPhone 4. Here's a great explanation from DHS if you're curious:

Attachments

• Memorandum_on_GPS_2019.pdf
    211.9 KB · Views: 349
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.