Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Never had one for that gen, always had a PS2 and Xbox

Loving the games! Some of them are strange, many are unique, and the library is bigger than I thought

Plus I love the wavebird controller with my Wii. The wireless controller was way ahead of its time, back when ps2 and xbox were still corded only officially.

Running back Street vol 2 and playing The Thousand Year Door for the first time ever is fantastic.

I have a lot of other games, and cant wait to dive into Eternal darkness and many others. I don't have all the time in the world right now, but I have a collection built up for when I do!

I only see prices continuing to go up as retro collecting becomes all the rage

Last edited:
Reactions: scottcampbell

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve owned almost every console on the market. The Game cube was one of the most unique, not also was it extremely small for its size during its time, but It had some really interesting games exclusive to that console. One of my favorite games was ‘NBA courtside with Kobe Bryant’.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Luigi’s mansion is meant to be experienced on a big screen with a controller imo too

I have the re release on 3ds and it’s cool having it portable but man oh man. I was missing out

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The small cube and mini-DVD's were awesome.

Great games like the Rogue Squadron franchise on it...

Best way to play is on an original Wii with the component cables and Wavebirds.

The GC component cables are outrageously priced, I have one but there seems to be a slight problem with it.

I use a Wii anyways...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
The small cube and mini-DVD's were awesome.

Great games like the Rogue Squadron franchise on it...

The GC component cables are outrageously priced, I have one but there seems to be a slight problem with it.

I use a Wii anyways...

I played a little rogue squadron last night. It is super sweet indeed

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
The 'Cube has to be my all time favourite. Luigi's Mansion, Viewtiful Joe, and Metroid Prime, utterly stunning. And not to mention the ability to play GBA games. Just waiting for a GCHD MK-II to be delivered....

Reactions: thadoggfather

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
thedoggfather, it's been really fun to follow your collecting, so please do keep posting :)

A "hidden" gem on GameCube is Super Monkey Ball 2 - that series peaked early and is some of the most fun multiplayer you can find.

Reactions: Suture

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
thedoggfather, it's been really fun to follow your collecting, so please do keep posting :)

A "hidden" gem on GameCube is Super Monkey Ball 2 - that series peaked early and is some of the most fun multiplayer you can find.

Ive been on a videogame (retro) collecting binge recently. Slowed down on Wii and Wii U purchases, and increased my GC ones :D

SMB2 is awesome! so much so I got SMB1 on the way as well

I'm a hugeeeeee SEGA fan

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Another vote here for Surer Monkey Ball. I actually bought it again and started playing it. So much fun with friends and family. I have no idea how I unlocked everything many years ago. This game is hard!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Another vote here for Surer Monkey Ball. I actually bought it again and started playing it. So much fun with friends and family. I have no idea how I unlocked everything many years ago. This game is hard!

I recently got SMB1 to complement SMB2. Been having a blast with 2

And I’ll get to eternal darkness soon :) been waiting to be in the perfect mood to get my mind blown. Huge RE fan (and recently bought 2,3 code Veronica all of which I played forever ago and recently got the 2 remake, nd zero which I’ve never played) so I expect good things. It looked really interesting even back in the day when it was new and I didn’t have a GC

I just picked up a DOL-001 GC for $20 the other day (got a deal on it cause I picked up a 64 and mario64 too from same person)

AND the carby hdmi converters just came back one stock so even tho those are $75 I’m gonna give it a whirl.
If I don’t like it I’m sure I can’t make my money back on eBay and keep the GC as a mantle piece but I’ve always been intrigued by this set up, and tho it’s not upscaled
Dolphin, to me there’s something to playing games on original hardware. I expect better results than wii w component or Wii U with Nintendont too

This has been a fun “hobby”

I think GameCube crap is only
Gonna get more expensive and harder to find over time. Ps2 Games are pretty cheap still. And 360, etc

Reactions: DoubleDragon1987

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
If you were a hardcore fan of video games, the Gamecube was a must own. It was the complement to the Dreamcast. Whereas on the Dreamcast you got to play coveted Japanese Pro wrestling games, the Gamecube delivered our WWF fix with one of the best wrestling games systems ever done.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

I use a Wii anyways...
Exactly THIS.

My niece and I had fun times with her GameCube! Nintendo really should do a MK-DD2

Last edited:
Reactions: DoubleDragon1987

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Exactly THIS.

My niece and I had fun times with her GameCube! Nintendo really should do a MK:DD2.

If you have component cable compatible DOL-001 gqmecube with digital out, Carby is the way to go

$75 shipped and pure digital hdmi out.

Also with most games having progressive scan and forcing the ones that don’t, the GameCube was truly ahead of its time

Reactions: phillytim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.