Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelawnetwork

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
On my Windows and Android tablets there are PDF readers that cover a short list of items that I'm shocked has been very difficult to find on iOS. Some of you must have found one that does the following:

1) Uses the entire screen to view text (most have an annoying transparency on the top and bottom of PDFs).

2) Has some simple pagination which allows you to tap the screen (or use the volume buttons) to turn an entire page. I don't want to swipe pages and have it slide. I want to tap/swipe, press and have the entire page go to the next page. Pretty simple concept.

3) locks the zoom.

#3 most have. #1 is surprisingly very difficult to find. #2 I haven't yet found and went through several PDF apps.

Things like Dataviz' documents to go - a standard for a long time - is pitiful when it comes to PDFs. Spreadsheets are OK and document editing decent too but that is where it ends. I found a couple of free (pay to upgrade) readers that do two of the three but never pagination. What do you guys use to read PDFs?

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
I think the last time I had to read a PDF, I ended up using the iBooks app. Also something to be said for the Kindle app.

thelawnetwork

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Thanks - the iBooks app seems to be Apple's way to sell content, not import PDFs that I can see. The Kindle reader requires signing into Amazon and I think it's much the same.

Foxit is great but doesn't have a full page view, surprisingly. Others that do have a full page view oddly don't have horizontal lock and pagination. So odd that it's so difficult just to find a good PDF reading app. I want to check out Good Reader but not willing to spend $5 to try. Wondering if anyone has it.

thelawnetwork

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
It's also beyond annoying that since so many iOS apps are not designed to be a file drag and drop to load from connected storage, virtually all of the readers I might be interested in require signing up for yet another service just to do something simple. Goodreads requires login too... <sigh>

thelawnetwork

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
FoxIt does it. It's not in the manual and I found it by accident since iOS has no standard way to view menu options (which is maddening to say the least.) It's an amazing PDF app, just too bad there is no way to map the volume keys for page turning. But it more than suffices and is very nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.