Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiddjones

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
Dallas, TX
I have a late 2013 15" rMBP with the GT 750M and I'm still running El Capitan. So what do we think guys, is it now safe to upgrade to High Sierra?

I would say it depends on your setup. I have the same machine as you. If you've been itching to update, I would say that you can now do so now and not hate yourself for doing so. After you've installed the latest Nvidia drivers, you'll probably only notice a slight comparable degradation if you're 1) Using an external display and 2) That external display is hi-resolution.

The different between my machine's performance now vs when high sierra was released is night & day. It's SO much better than before, and I'm optimistic about 10.13.5, though I haven't tried the beta yet.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

CodySchrank

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2018
I would say it depends on your setup. I have the same machine as you. If you've been itching to update, I would say that you can now do so now and not hate yourself for doing so. After you've installed the latest Nvidia drivers, you'll probably only notice a slight comparable degradation if you're 1) Using an external display and 2) That external display is hi-resolution.

The different between my machine's performance now vs when high sierra was released is night & day. It's SO much better than before, and I'm optimistic about 10.13.5, though I haven't tried the beta yet.

I also have the same computer, using 10.13.4 (17E202) with the nvidia web driver .107, I'm still seeing a bit of lag. And while I agree it is better, its still not totally fixed yet (its especially bad for me with another monitor plugged in). So building off of what kidjones said, I would not update yet unless you really need to for some reason.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I also have the same computer, using 10.13.4 (17E202) with the nvidia web driver .107, I'm still seeing a bit of lag. And while I agree it is better, its still not totally fixed yet (its especially bad for me with another monitor plugged in). So building off of what kidjones said, I would not update yet unless you really need to for some reason.

Thanks for the replies. I will hold off on upgrading.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
my 2 cents to this thread: my mid 2014 MBP 15" with GT 750m went to authorised Apple service due to occasional kernel panics & I complained a bit about machine's fans kicking everytime it was connected to 4K display even if there was no activity. Lo and behold service found that the GPU failed and replaced the whole logic board literally 3 weeks before Apple Care coverage expired. The machine is super quiet now, running at least 10C cooler, but above all I have zero lag on 10.13.4 - was doing update without AFS conversion from 10.12.6 (which I had found always choppy in Mission control and SHIFT + Dashboard animation) with enabled eGPU. I updated webdriver as requested but the machine is running smooth as knife through butter - both web driver and stock OS X driver are indistinguishable and both are super fluid on both Intel and Nvidia GPU, without any graphics artefacts. In fact, it's the closest to how fluid and fast the machine felt when I used 10.9.5 on it.

On a side not technician handling the repaid told me that even 2014 machines were defect even though the recall program was announced for 2012 and 2013 retina MBP 15". I have cloned my 10.12.6 drive with CCC as I'm going to test eGPU enabler, but the best thing would be to do backup and test the damn machine for yourself.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
2012 and 2013 retina MBP 15
In my case, my mileage varied from yours. I have a late 2013, purchased in 2014, 15-MBP (GT750M). The system failed in September 2017, and I took it into my local Apple Store. Logic board, they said. 7 days later it came back with that, plus top case, and SSD replaced. (None of this was covered.) This laptop is often connected to a Dell P2715Q, scaled to 1440p. With some version of 10.13, graphic performance fell through the floor, which took several hours to figure out how to overcome.
As with previous dot release, hope springs eternal...

Reactions: camelia

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Well, i upgraded over the weekend again to HS (10.3.5), and so far performance seems to be good. Had one lockup upon waking but seems to be better than when I tried it months ago

sosyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Well, i upgraded over the weekend again to HS (10.3.5), and so far performance seems to be good. Had one lockup upon waking but seems to be better than when I tried it months ago

High Sierra is never coming near my MacBook again after the horrible graphics performance :p
But I was wondering if MacOS 10.4 maybe has better performance. iOS 12 is a lot better in that department as well. Would be nice if MacOS got the same treatment.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
Ok, I just want to confirm, that 10.13.5 still have LAG. But with Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext its nicely usable. I will try Mojave on separater partition I think.

Reactions: AGulev

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
yep...

Actually on 10.13.4+nvidia the performance was much better than on 10.13.5 in Heros Of The Storm.

I think we gonna have to switch to windows i guess ... :(

jddh

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2018
Glad to have found this and other threads just before I pushed the trigger on HS on my maxed out Mid-2014 MBP/750m.

On one hand, I have a GTX 1070 eGPU in a TB2 enclosure, and I'd love to get it working properly with this package on 10.13. Nvidia web drivers on 10.12 are pretty kernel panicky.

On the other hand, it sounds like my two external monitors would get bogged down something fierce in 10.13 without the eGPU. Not to mention folks still seem to have stability issues with the web drivers in 10.13 anyways?

Sounds like the safest bet is to stay away from Nvidia on Macs. That really sucks. Is Apple really up for supporting GPUs other than their newest OEM provider or not?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Glad to have found this and other threads just before I pushed the trigger on HS on my maxed out Mid-2014/750m.

On one hand, I have a GTX 1070 eGPU in a TB2 enclosure, and I'd love to get it working properly with this package on 10.13. Nvidia web drivers on 10.12 are pretty kernel panicky.

On the other hand, it sounds like my two external monitors would get bogged down something fierce in 10.13 without the eGPU. Not to mention folks still seem to have stability issues with the web drivers in 10.13 anyways?

Sounds like the safest bet is to stay away from Nvidia on Macs. That really sucks. Is Apple really up for supporting GPUs other than their newest OEM provider or not?

The 1080Ti in my Mac is rock solid with 10.13.5 and web driver. But it's internal, not eGPU, that may make the different.

kiddjones

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
Dallas, TX
Want to pop in and say, if you've upgraded to 10.13.5 or haven't and plan to, go ahead and stick with the older NVIDIA driver released for 10.13.4 (387.10.10.10.30.107).

After I upgraded to 10.13.5, NVIDIA Driver Manager notified me about a new driver to support the OS update. Installed the new driver (387.10.10.10.35.106) but immediately started noticing mouse lag again (I had forgot what it felt like!).

Luckily, I was able to downgrade my NVIDIA driver pretty easily with https://github.com/vulgo/webdriver.sh and all is right in the world. Low/no fans, no mouse lag.

I'm on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Just want to update you guys with some news on Mojave. GPU Lag is at a minimum, now. Launchpad doesn't lag, even with two monitors plugged in. There are some periodic hiccups, but this is only when dark mode is enabled, so its probably due to bugs in the dark mode code more than anything else.

My setup is the internal Retina display with a 30'' Apple Cinema Display attached with the dual link DVI adapter. I also use Asus and Dell HDMI monitors at work (three monitor setup, including the Retina panel). With the latter, there is some minor lag, but much less than High Sierra and comparable to Mavericks/any OS prior to 10.13.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
Can someone test in latest beta?
I'm currenty on macOS 10.13.6, because NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.105 solves completly GPU lag for me. I was very suprised, that its fixed even not in build in drivers in macOS.

But for macOS Mojave there is not Web Driver yet.

Danno18

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
This issue is frustrating and broader than Nvidia. I'm mid-2015 MBP Retina (built in Intel Iris 6100 GPU) and just purchased Dell P2715Q 4K monitor. I'm running MAC OS 10.13.6 and the lag performance is terrible!! Appears if I choose default resolution (non scaled) 1920x1080 performance improves significantly. If I switch to any scaled resolution performance tanks on most simple operations (screen shifts, browser performance, scrolling windows etc.). So, scaling is key contributor to whatever the issue is here. Any fixes/suggestions?

I'd also be curious if any newer 27" 4K monitors people are using don't have this issue? Happy to exchange the Dell if it gets rid of problem

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
This issue is frustrating and broader than Nvidia. I'm mid-2015 MBP Retina (built in Intel Iris 6100 GPU) and just purchased Dell P2715Q 4K monitor. I'm running MAC OS 10.13.6 and the lag performance is terrible!! Appears if I choose default resolution (non scaled) 1920x1080 performance improves significantly. If I switch to any scaled resolution performance tanks on most simple operations (screen shifts, browser performance, scrolling windows etc.). So, scaling is key contributor to whatever the issue is here. Any fixes/suggestions?

I'd also be curious if any newer 27" 4K monitors people are using don't have this issue? Happy to exchange the Dell if it gets rid of problem

You don't have an Nvidia GPU, only the integrated Intel Iris Pro (or an AMD Radeon if you have the high-end config).
Are you running scaled on High-DPI? If so, you're asking your Integrated GPU to push an insane amount of pixels, namely both the 2880x1800 retina panel, plus a scaled High-DPI resolution (so possibly 5K+).
Per Apple, your Mac supports:
  • HDMI video output
  • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
  • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
  • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
Scaled resolutions in High-DPI mean you're pushing a resolution to the external monitor at the upper bounds of what your Mac can handle. In addition, what you're most likely seeing is a limitation of the Iris Pro at resolutions above 4K- a 24Hz refresh rate will cause animations and scrolling to tear as perceived by the human eye.

Danno18

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
You don't have an Nvidia GPU, only the integrated Intel Iris Pro (or an AMD Radeon if you have the high-end config).
Are you running scaled on High-DPI? If so, you're asking your Integrated GPU to push an insane amount of pixels, namely both the 2880x1800 retina panel, plus a scaled High-DPI resolution (so possibly 5K+).
Per Apple, your Mac supports:
  • HDMI video output
  • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
  • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
  • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
Scaled resolutions in High-DPI mean you're pushing a resolution to the external monitor at the upper bounds of what your Mac can handle. In addition, what you're most likely seeing is a limitation of the Iris Pro at resolutions above 4K- a 24Hz refresh rate will cause animations and scrolling to tear as perceived by the human eye.

Running mini display port connection to monitor at 60hz, not HDMI. I have the Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. And, problems occur regardless of which scaled resolution i choose (2560x1440, 3008x1692, etc), only the standard resolution seems to improve performance. Which, defeats the purpose of attaching a 4k monitor as you are not able to benefit from any other usable resolution

According to Apple it should support full resolution simultaneously on multiple displays...from Apple specs below:

• Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters
This is definitely a OS/Driver issue in HSierra as I have seen similar complaints across other sites. Appreciate any other suggestions.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Running mini display port connection to monitor at 60hz, not HDMI. I have the Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. And, problems occur regardless of which scaled resolution i choose (2560x1440, 3008x1692, etc), only the standard resolution seems to improve performance. Which, defeats the purpose of attaching a 4k monitor as you are not able to benefit from any other usable resolution

According to Apple it should support full resolution simultaneously on multiple displays...from Apple specs below:

• Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters
This is definitely a OS/Driver issue in HSierra as I have seen similar complaints across other sites. Appreciate any other suggestions.

To be clear:
Are you running your monitor at in non-scaled mode? Realize that clicking the selections marked "more space" (see attached screenshot) or resolutions marked High-DPI renders the image as 2x whatever you've selected. For example, a high-dpi 2560x1440 image is really a 5120x2880 image with UI elements drawn 2X larger. The resulting image is then downscaled to your monitor's native resolution.

It sounds like this is what you're doing. MiniDisplayPort 1.2 supports a max of 4K @ 60Hz. Please note that the GPU lag mentioned in this thread is specific to Nvidia chips. I am not aware of any lag issues with the Iris Pro.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 3.36.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 3.36.15 PM.png
    337.5 KB · Views: 207

Danno18

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
To be clear:
Are you running your monitor at in non-scaled mode? Realize that clicking the selections marked "more space" (see attached screenshot) or resolutions marked High-DPI renders the image as 2x whatever you've selected. For example, a high-dpi 2560x1440 image is really a 5120x2880 image with UI elements drawn 2X larger. The resulting image is then downscaled to your monitor's native resolution.

It sounds like this is what you're doing. MiniDisplayPort 1.2 supports a max of 4K @ 60Hz. Please note that the GPU lag mentioned in this thread is specific to Nvidia chips. I am not aware of any lag issues with the Iris Pro.

Correct...Default (non scaled mode). This is the only mode that works. I was hoping people have seen similar on Iris Pro as it appears via a search on internet that this is a common problem with 4k monitors as people moved to HSierra. Apple forums have tons of complaints, albeit no solution to problem yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.