Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CPngN

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Bay Area, California
I am deeply concerned that there are _13 pages_ of discussion about GPUs in 2012-2015 MacBook Pros, and not one of them, according to the search results, contain the word "heat" or "thermal"?!

This is old, failing thermal paste. Classic signs, and the date range you are discussing backs that up. By now I'd say ALL MBP's from 2012 shoudl surely have had the thermal paste replaced. It's easy to do at home if you can unscrew things carefully and paint carefully, or you can have a "shop" do it. But the thermal paste that Apple uses on MBPs does not last this long.

patbro

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
Already for quite some time I'm keeping an eye out on this thread since I'm trying to successfully install Lilu and Whatevergreen on my Macbook, to fix the graphics issues I'm facing. For example, Google Maps in the browser just gets extremely slow, because my Macbook switches from its integrated graphics card to the dedicated one.

First of all, I made a back-up of my Macbook using Time Machine. Then, I followed the steps as described in this forum post. So, I downloaded Lilu (version 1.3.6) and Whatevergreen (version 1.2.9), then rebooted my Macbook into recovery mode and disabled SIP. Afterwards, I rebooted my Macbook again to MacOS and moved both the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Then, I ran the following commands one by one.
Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext

Via “System Report” I checked whether the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts were loaded successfully: both Lilu and Whatevergreen were there, but their "Loaded" status stated "No". I tried rebuilding the kext cache by running:
Code:
kextcache -i /
Which returned nothing worth mentioning besides the "kext with invalid signature allowed" warnings (just as mentioned in this forum post).

Finally, I rebooted my Macbook, entered my password on the lock screen, and then my Macbook greeted me with "Your computer restarted because of a problem". In other words: installing Lilu and Whatevergreen failed (miserably).

Via “Recovery Mode” I tried removing both extensions by deleting their kexts from /System/Library/Extensions and then running
Code:
kextcache -i /
to rebuild the kernel extension caches. But running this command caused an error stating “not being able open to /Library/StagedExtensions”. Even after running
Code:
kextcache --clear-staging
my Macbook still could not rebuild the kernel extension caches. A reboot and resetting NVRAM would be my last resort. Unfortunately, I still ran into the “your computer restarted because of a problem” screen.

Even removing the whole Library folder via “Recovery Mode” and manually restoring it from the Time Machine backup didn't solve the problem. In the end, I just restored my Macbook from the Time Machine backup.

So currently I'm still left with the same graphic issues I mentioned at the beginning of this post. Is there anything I'm missing which causes my "computer to restart because of a problem" after installing both Lilu and Whatevergreen?

I already tried previous versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen, but these worked out the same for me.

My Macbook configuration is as follows:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor: 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics (Built-In): Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Graphics (PCIe): NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Already for quite some time I'm keeping an eye out on this thread since I'm trying to successfully install Lilu and Whatevergreen on my Macbook, to fix the graphics issues I'm facing. For example, Google Maps in the browser just gets extremely slow, because my Macbook switches from its integrated graphics card to the dedicated one.

First of all, I made a back-up of my Macbook using Time Machine. Then, I followed the steps as described in this forum post. So, I downloaded Lilu (version 1.3.6) and Whatevergreen (version 1.2.9), then rebooted my Macbook into recovery mode and disabled SIP. Afterwards, I rebooted my Macbook again to MacOS and moved both the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Then, I ran the following commands one by one.
Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext

Via “System Report” I checked whether the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts were loaded successfully: both Lilu and Whatevergreen were there, but their "Loaded" status stated "No". I tried rebuilding the kext cache by running:
Code:
kextcache -i /
Which returned nothing worth mentioning besides the "kext with invalid signature allowed" warnings (just as mentioned in this forum post).

Finally, I rebooted my Macbook, entered my password on the lock screen, and then my Macbook greeted me with "Your computer restarted because of a problem". In other words: installing Lilu and Whatevergreen failed (miserably).

Via “Recovery Mode” I tried removing both extensions by deleting their kexts from /System/Library/Extensions and then running
Code:
kextcache -i /
to rebuild the kernel extension caches. But running this command caused an error stating “not being able open to /Library/StagedExtensions”. Even after running
Code:
kextcache --clear-staging
my Macbook still could not rebuild the kernel extension caches. A reboot and resetting NVRAM would be my last resort. Unfortunately, I still ran into the “your computer restarted because of a problem” screen.

Even removing the whole Library folder via “Recovery Mode” and manually restoring it from the Time Machine backup didn't solve the problem. In the end, I just restored my Macbook from the Time Machine backup.

So currently I'm still left with the same graphic issues I mentioned at the beginning of this post. Is there anything I'm missing which causes my "computer to restart because of a problem" after installing both Lilu and Whatevergreen?

I already tried previous versions of Lilu and Whatevergreen, but these worked out the same for me.

My Macbook configuration is as follows:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor: 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics (Built-In): Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Graphics (PCIe): NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

If all you want is just install Lilu and Whatevergreen, please try follow the steps in this post. (SKIP step 14)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/activate-amd-hardware-acceleration.2180095/

patbro

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
If all you want is just install Lilu and Whatevergreen, please try follow the steps in this post. (SKIP step 14)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/activate-amd-hardware-acceleration.2180095/
It took me a while to get back to you, since I faced the "your computer restarted because of a problem"-screen again.

I followed the exact steps you described in the forum post you linked to, but they didn't work for me. Both from a 'dirty' and a clean MacOS Mojave install the result was a non-booting Macbook.

Currently, I'm still on a clean MacOS Mojave install which makes life a bit better for the time being. Is there anything else I could try in order to defeat the graphic issues I'm facing? Moreover, why are Lilu and Whatevergreen causing my Macbook to not boot anymore?

sosyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
It took me a while to get back to you, since I faced the "your computer restarted because of a problem"-screen again.

I followed the exact steps you described in the forum post you linked to, but they didn't work for me. Both from a 'dirty' and a clean MacOS Mojave install the result was a non-booting Macbook.

Currently, I'm still on a clean MacOS Mojave install which makes life a bit better for the time being. Is there anything else I could try in order to defeat the graphic issues I'm facing? Moreover, why are Lilu and Whatevergreen causing my Macbook to not boot anymore?

Yeah, the latest versions cause these bootloops. These versions do work: WhateverGreen 1.2.3 and Lilu 1.2.7

Reactions: h9826790

patbro

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
Yeah, the latest versions cause these bootloops. These versions do work: WhateverGreen 1.2.3 and Lilu 1.2.7
You are indeed totally right! I succeeded in installing version 1.2.7 of Lilu and version 1.2.3 of Whatevergreen on Mojave without causing a boot loop. But I don't notice any difference in graphic performance. The system still has quite some lag when the dedicated graphic card kicks in. Could it be possible those older versions don't play well with Mojave?

Via "System Report" > "Extensions" both Lilu and Whatevergreen their "Loaded" status mentions "Yes". Is there any way to check whether both are working properly?

AGulev

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
Via "System Report" > "Extensions" both Lilu and Whatevergreen their "Loaded" status mentions "Yes". Is there any way to check whether both are working properly?

The same =(
I had all the same troubles you had (error after login on system start, and so on). Now I'm on Lilu 1.2.7 and Whatevergreen 1.2.3, both Activated and works, but performance get worse after some time of working. Also usually I have glitches and black tabs in Safari.

I have GeForce 750m on board, it's still Kepler architecture, as I understand from FAQ I don't need Web Driver in this case?

doeman

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Can someone test in latest beta?
I'm currenty on macOS 10.13.6, because NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.105 solves completly GPU lag for me. I was very suprised, that its fixed even not in build in drivers in macOS.

But for macOS Mojave there is not Web Driver yet.

I’m still on Sierra with my MacBook Pro Late 2013 (GeForce GT 750M). I have avoided upgrading to High Sierra after hearing about slowdowns back in 2017. I've now read through this thread. Judging by the post above things turned brighter last August, for High Sierra. But then the discussion steered over to Mojave. And I guess I should stay away from Mojave as long as possible?

Is it safe to upgrade my work computer to High Sierra or should I stay with Sierra a little while longer if possible? I'm tempted to finally make the move to High Sierra but I'd hate slowdowns on my day to day work computer. What would you guys say is the status as of now? If I should upgrade, what driver version is the best for 10.13.6? The latest (387.10.10.10.40.128)?

patbro

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
The same =(
I had all the same troubles you had (error after login on system start, and so on). Now I'm on Lilu 1.2.7 and Whatevergreen 1.2.3, both Activated and works, but performance get worse after some time of working. Also usually I have glitches and black tabs in Safari.

I have GeForce 750m on board, it's still Kepler architecture, as I understand from FAQ I don't need Web Driver in this case?
I don't think so you actually need it. I installed the NVIDIA Web Driver as well, but didn't notice any increase in performance (i.e. my Macbook still lags).

Reactions: AGulev

Nemphys

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2014
UPDATE: I am happy to announce that, after some debugging with the help of the WhateverGreen developers, the latest WhateverGreen version (1.3.3) is now the most stable solution to this problem.
Wake from sleep works fine (at least for my early 2013 rMBP) and the glitches are now quite rare.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I am deeply concerned that there are _13 pages_ of discussion about GPUs in 2012-2015 MacBook Pros, and not one of them, according to the search results, contain the word "heat" or "thermal"?!

This is old, failing thermal paste. Classic signs, and the date range you are discussing backs that up. By now I'd say ALL MBP's from 2012 shoudl surely have had the thermal paste replaced. It's easy to do at home if you can unscrew things carefully and paint carefully, or you can have a "shop" do it. But the thermal paste that Apple uses on MBPs does not last this long.

I've had this issue on a 2015 MBP that was bought in 2017. Thermal paste wouldn't deteriorate this quickly, and I've not noticed any heat issues.

patbro

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
UPDATE: I am happy to announce that, after some debugging with the help of the WhateverGreen developers, the latest WhateverGreen version (1.3.3) is now the most stable solution to this problem.
Wake from sleep works fine (at least for my early 2013 rMBP) and the glitches are now quite rare.
Which version of Lilu are you using in combination with the WahteverGreen version you mentioned? Since the latest version of WhateverGreen I tried (version 1.2.9) caused a boot loop for me.

sosyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Which version of Lilu are you using in combination with the WahteverGreen version you mentioned? Since the latest version of WhateverGreen I tried (version 1.2.9) caused a boot loop for me.

I can confirm version 1.3.3 no longer has the boot loop issue ?

patbro

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
Status update! I am running macOS Catalina (10.5.1) for about a month now. Despite someone on reddit mentioned the GPU lag would've been fixed in Catalina without using Lilu and Whatevergreen, I was still facing the GPU lag issues described earlier. The only difference: I am running a NVIDIA GeForce 750M.

Today, I downloaded Lilu 1.3.9 and Whatevergreen 1.3.4, followed the steps (without the 'no compat check' boot argument despite using Catalina), and after rebooting everything worked just fine. Or I should rather say: I didn't encounter any GPU lag while using Google Maps, Youtube with an external display connected (yet).

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Status update! I am running macOS Catalina (10.5.1) for about a month now. Despite someone on reddit mentioned the GPU lag would've been fixed in Catalina without using Lilu and Whatevergreen, I was still facing the GPU lag issues described earlier. The only difference: I am running a NVIDIA GeForce 750M.

Today, I downloaded Lilu 1.3.9 and Whatevergreen 1.3.4, followed the steps (without the 'no compat check' boot argument despite using Catalina), and after rebooting everything worked just fine. Or I should rather say: I didn't encounter any GPU lag while using Google Maps, Youtube with an external display connected (yet).

Version 1.3.0 of Whatevergreen "disabled NVIDIA performance fix on 10.15, as it now is built-in." I've 775M and I didn't see any difference with or without it on Catalina. Release notes are here: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
Just FYI, I installed Catalina over Sierra on my late '13 15". Works perfectly, no lag. In fact, it seems smoother on my LG 27UD68.
And the most amazing part, this install was originally Panther, copied and TM'd on new Macs and updated over and over...

Reactions: AnonMac50

AGulev

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
I've updated my Macbook Pro (Mid 2014 - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M) and finally everything works fine with the latest Catalina, even without Whatevergreen.

AGulev

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
I think I've celebrated too early. After some time I found that if some programs run, other programs could have strange glitches and artifacts. It's not for all the software, but I have a few programs that I can't leave open if I want to work comfortably with operation system (they works fine, but if I switch desktop, I have artifacts on the screen)

Alisher12398

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
I think I've celebrated too early. After some time I found that if some programs run, other programs could have strange glitches and artifacts. It's not for all the software, but I have a few programs that I can't leave open if I want to work comfortably with operation system (they works fine, but if I switch desktop, I have artifacts on the screen)
What about performance and artifacts today?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.