Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
Frankly, all consumer routers are trash. Most actually use the same firmware underneath, which is full of vulnerabilities, and a quick Google search for consumer router security will tell you plenty of tales. They also have too many bugs to count, offer little to no debugging info, and have limited features.

As a network consultant, I have the pleasure of dealing with these things when a business calls us after their network goes down. Just the other day I was watching a DHCP server on a Netgear router silently crashing and failing to hand out IP addresses.

Here's what I would do: get an Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, any quality switch with more than enough ports for your needs, and a UAP-AC-LITE access point or two for wifi. You can get the more expensive stuff depending on your budget. You'll be much better off this way than with any consumer router and it might even cost less.

Okay... I wonder if I can have some advice

I have Verizon FIOS Gigabit internet with a straight Cat5e (going to replace with a Cat6) being ran from my fios ONT to my Verizon FIOS branded router

I haven’t made up my mind about getting either the Amplify HD with the to mesh antennas or the gaming version which is only a $25 difference

but what else else do I need... would I still need the edge router lite?

I it a $450 budget for this... I want an upgrade fast and reliable but secure network

the only wired devices that I have plugged in is my Xbox one and my 75 inch smart tv... if my network is fast and secure... I don’t care about just having all my devices in wifi

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I wish I could chime in and give more help. I have not personally owned a Linksys system since the WRT54G way back when it was THE router to get. After that I went Apple Airport.
Then on to multiple Airports hardwired to each other.... after years of testing, I will never do wireless extending in my own home. For anyone else I would advice just getting ethernet ran, a 1000' box of cat6 can be had for close to $100. Or simply hiring someone to do it and be done with it. In my opinion is worth it, but I also understand if someone can not or is not willing to do something.
After the Airports I changed over to UniFi and do not see myself changing from them for quite some time if ever. I like their products.

Running wires around the house is an issue, depends on how large your home is and if it is built in a way that you can move wires from one room to the other.

Can You tell me about Unifi products? What do you like? I am thinking of moving from Netgear to their products. Currently I am very happy with my Nighthawk but if there is something more reliable, stable, and easier to manage I am willing to go for it. Looking to build a mesh network.

One thing I do not want to do is to switch over and not notice anything different.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Okay... I wonder if I can have some advice

I have Verizon FIOS Gigabit internet with a straight Cat5e (going to replace with a Cat6) being ran from my fios ONT to my Verizon FIOS branded router

I haven’t made up my mind about getting either the Amplify HD with the to mesh antennas or the gaming version which is only a $25 difference

but what else else do I need... would I still need the edge router lite?

I it a $450 budget for this... I want an upgrade fast and reliable but secure network

the only wired devices that I have plugged in is my Xbox one and my 75 inch smart tv... if my network is fast and secure... I don’t care about just having all my devices in wifi

$450 should get you a lot. How many rooms? How many devices? What is your uplink bandwidth?

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
$450 should get you a lot. How many rooms? How many devices? What is your uplink bandwidth?

I have a 1 gigabit connection from Fios my house is a 2 story 3 bedroom house. 1600 square feet if that.... all of my devices are connected to WiFi except my my 75 inch smart tv and my Xbox one X

I was going to get the Amplifi gaming edition and the Unifi USG for added security

But the USG and the amplifi doesn’t really talk to each other so the added benefits of having it is moot

after doing some reading The amplifies security features are very good anyway

I’m still renting so wiring up the place to use the enterprise class stuff is a turn off at the moment considering I might only be here for another year or 2

your consensus?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I have a 1 gigabit connection from Fios my house is a 2 story 3 bedroom house. 1600 square feet if that.... all of my devices are connected to WiFi except my my 75 inch smart tv and my Xbox one X

I was going to get the Amplifi gaming edition and the Unifi USG for added security

But the USG and the amplifi doesn’t really talk to each other so the added benefits of having it is moot

after doing some reading The amplifies security features are very good anyway

I’m still renting so wiring up the place to use the enterprise class stuff is a turn off at the moment considering I might only be here for another year or 2

your consensus?

I think the Amplifi mesh system would serve you well. If you go with the USG, it would have to be the Pro version or it will bottleneck your gigabit connection, but that would blow your budget.

Benedict1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
Thank you, I have one that is really working well but I was wondering what else is out there and if Asus or Linksys might be better, or TP-Link

Tp link has a privacy policy that collects all your traffic data... have a look at the terms...

”Other information automatically collected may include your IP address, location, mobile device information, operating system, browser type, demographic information, application information, URL information such as click-through paths, identity of pages you interact with, time spent on those pages, and other information associated with how you interact with the pages and Services.”

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Tp link has a privacy policy that collects all your traffic data... have a look at the terms...

”Other information automatically collected may include your IP address, location, mobile device information, operating system, browser type, demographic information, application information, URL information such as click-through paths, identity of pages you interact with, time spent on those pages, and other information associated with how you interact with the pages and Services.”

Sheesh! I am tired for this privacy invasion from everything. There should be quality assurance labels like "Privacy Insured" on the products.

Benedict1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
Sheesh! I am tired for this privacy invasion from everything. There should be quality assurance labels like "Privacy Insured" on the products.
And guess where tp link comes from.... ?????? So not my data. Switched to Netgear instead

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
And guess where tp link comes from.... ?????? So not my data. Switched to Netgear instead

Not to be a downer, but Netgear's Privacy Policy is pretty bad too:

When you visit our Sites or use our Products and Services, we may collect certain information automatically from your device and App(s). In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.

· we may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Site, including the pages accessed and links clicked, or our products. Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) and other technical information.

· we collect information related to the use our Products and Services and statistics about the performance of your NETGEAR device(s). This information includes IP address, device type, unique device identifiers, firmware version, configuration settings, Wifi settings, Internet speed, voltage information, storage information, error rates, App download and usage, services and feature usage, crash diagnostics, and other performance information.

Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Sites and customers who use our Products and Services and what content and/or feature(s) is relevant and of interest to them. We also collect this information to provide you with the appropriate upgrade(s) and support and to improve our Products and Services.

Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies and similar tracking technology” [link] below

Third parties may also collect information using cookies. Some websites have “do not track” features that allow you to tell a website not to track you. These features are not all uniform. We do not currently respond to those signals. To learn more about our cookie policy, click here.

https://www.netgear.com/about/privacy-policy/

Benedict1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
Not to be a downer, but Netgear's Privacy Policy is pretty bad too:

https://www.netgear.com/about/privacy-policy/
That is true, but Netgear offers a opt-out option where the Beijing Link does not.

I have asked Netgear for an explanation on this.

7. Your Rights and Choices
Depending on your country of residence, you have certain rights regarding the Personal Information we maintain about you and certain choices about what Personal Information we collect from you, how we use it, and how we communicate with you.
  • If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the "Contact Us" heading below [link].
  • In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the "How to Contact Us" heading below [link].
  • You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided under the "How to Contact Us" heading below [link]. We do not share information with third parties for their independent marketing or promotional purposes.
  • Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
  • You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.”

mragarg

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I'm on the same boat as you. I've been debating between the Netgear X4S and Asus RT-86u. In all honesty, I believe I'm going with the Asus route. This is because I currently have a 68u running Merlin and it's been great. The 5% difference between the two I thought about won't be that big of a difference for me as well. So I'm leaning towards the 86u with Merlin installed right away.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I'm on the same boat as you. I've been debating between the Netgear X4S and Asus RT-86u. In all honesty, I believe I'm going with the Asus route. This is because I currently have a 68u running Merlin and it's been great. The 5% difference between the two I thought about won't be that big of a difference for me as well. So I'm leaning towards the 86u with Merlin installed right away.

I have made up my mind on Amplifi HD, just waiting for a wifi6 version

That is true, but Netgear offers a opt-out option where the Beijing Link does not.

I have asked Netgear for an explanation on this.

7. Your Rights and Choices
Depending on your country of residence, you have certain rights regarding the Personal Information we maintain about you and certain choices about what Personal Information we collect from you, how we use it, and how we communicate with you.
  • If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the "Contact Us" heading below [link].
  • In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the "How to Contact Us" heading below [link].
  • You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided under the "How to Contact Us" heading below [link]. We do not share information with third parties for their independent marketing or promotional purposes.
  • Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
  • You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.”

I like how they start with "Depending on your country..." , as in "its not because we have any kind of business ethics, we are just forced by law".

Paid commodities should never collect anything. By paying for a product it becomes my property and you no longer have the right to it. If they wish, they can give away routers for free and collect data from that.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.