Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

arkzrlo

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
There’s a person in reddit that says with 10.15.2 beta 4 the sound issue is fixed. Waiting for more people to confirm it.

Reactions: Sanpete

MengkeMary

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2019
Minneapolis
Finally! I have seen coverage of this issue from multiple sources. In fact, macrumors just published an article saying that Apple is "investigating" this issue and it should be fixed in a future update.

We made it!✌?
[automerge]1575674145[/automerge]
There’s a person in reddit that says with 10.15.2 beta 4 the sound issue is fixed. Waiting for more people to confirm it.
Indeed!

I just upgraded to 10.15.2 beta 4, and found that this issue is gone, at least for the moment. I tested Safari, Chrome, IINA playing local videos, and none of them gave me the popping sound!

Hooray!

At the same time, waiting for more data points to confirm this...

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
The issue is real. It is a big deal.

Now here's the definition of a "first world problem"...a tiny pop sound when you stop a video, caused by a software glitch that's fixable. And that's a "big deal"? I'd say that it's more of a minor annoyance at best. How far we've fallen as a species :eek:

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Now here's the definition of a "first world problem"...a tiny pop sound when you stop a video, caused by a software glitch that's fixable. And that's a "big deal"? I'd say that it's more of a minor annoyance at best. How far we've fallen as a species :eek:
Well what's really important here is that you've found a way to feel superior to everyone else in this thread

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I just upgraded to 10.15.2 beta 4, and found that this issue is gone, at least for the moment. I tested Safari, Chrome, IINA playing local videos, and none of them gave me the popping sound!
Yes, finally...after 2 years ...Apple needed another mbp to have this issue to make something of it...i just reported this again to apple support just to show them it was indeed macOS fault and not "youtube" or whatever they said 1 year ago

Reactions: MengkeMary

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

When you start any sound or stop any sound, when you mouse over anything that might make a sound, when you scrub trough anything it's basically a popcorn machine. Pop pop POp pOP POP pOp...

Reactions: vinegarshots

Dovydaskuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
Malaga, Spain
I think it's quite clear you don't even have a MacBook with this issue. To me personally it's not a breaking issue as I mostly use headphones but I can perfectly understand why it could be for many people which you seem to be unable to comprehend. Firstly it's not a tiny sound, it's very noticeable. Secondly, it's not related at all to pausing a video. It's very easily reproducible in for example Messenger, every time you send emoji, you hear a pop. It's not a minor annoyance, it's annoying af. You could argue it's ok if it was some cheap company like Acer and you paid $299 for a device. I just paid £2399 for a base model (3150$), I expect this machine to not have issues that even 20x cheaper laptops don't have. It's as simple as that.

I will install latest beta later today to see if it fixes it.

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019

Now here is the definition of a “smart mouth”…a guy who writes insulting stuff without experiencing an issue which causes headaches to many people that are actually making their living using these machines after paying a freaking fortune to own them.

The next time you will hear a tiny pop from your car’s engine don’t bother. Stay silent, or else someone will call you paranoid.

Indeed we’ ve fallen as a species. But it’s not our reaction to tiny pop sounds that indicates this but our willingness to defend companies like Apple in cases like this. Good luck spending your money. I have already spent mine.

Last edited:
  • Love

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Come on people, ignore the windows machine troller
Its clear he has no clue....or is somebody in search for no perfection or close to that (no ambitions)
The next time you will hear a tiny pop from your car’s engine don’t bother. Stay silent, or else someone will call you paranoid.
That was nice, a little over the top but nice analogy
[automerge]1575719940[/automerge]
I will install latest beta later today to see if it fixes it.
Let us know

• Love

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I've installed 10.15.2 beta 4 and the issue appears to be gone ?
Would you or anyone else running 10.15.2 beta 4 be able to comment about the ghosting issue? There are some reports in the other thread that the beta also improved this.

darwichee90

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
Would you or anyone else running 10.15.2 beta 4 be able to comment about the ghosting issue? There are some reports in the other thread that the beta also improved this.

I can give it a try since i also have this problem. But how do you install a beta update?

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Installed 10.15.2 Beta4 and the popping issue is fixed. :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-macbook-pro-ghosting.2212842/post-28046444
[automerge]1575769096[/automerge]
See my response at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-macbook-pro-ghosting.2212842/post-28046444

Net: Popping is fixed, ghosting remains.

darwichee90

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
Can anyone confirm the 2018 15” is pop free also? ESP in FCPX with audio skimming on?

Like, this problem has been around for over a year..

I’m still on Mojave’s but this might push me to update before usual wait until 10.XX.3 before updating work machine policy.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Can anyone confirm the 2018 15” is pop free also? ESP in FCPX with audio skimming on?

Like, this problem has been around for over a year..

I’m still on Mojave’s but this might push me to update before usual wait until 10.XX.3 before updating work machine policy.
This is the question....does the 2018 models must be updated to Catalina or Apple will offer this fix for Mojave at least ?!

Daverru

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
Looks like setting "48000 Hz" option for output device in the Audio Midi Setup utility solves the problem for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.