Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nepats81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Hello,

I am a gym rat and will be purchasing powerbeats pro today (Ivory - anyone have that color?), and am curious on if I should get Airpods 2 as well.

My reasoning is ill wear the powerbeats at the gym and probably anytime I have a work bag or gym bag with me. Im thinking about airpods 2 in the event that I want something portable for other times without a bag - coffee shop, etc.

Anyone have both?

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I have both and my use-cases are similar to what you describe. I work remotely and am on the phone a lot; so I use the Beats for prolonged calls, working out, mowing, plane rides, etc. I use the AirPods for average calls and the portability factor. The AirPods stay in my pocket. The Beats stay on my desk or backpack.

Edited to add: for me, the AirPods are useless on a plane. The Beats are borderline.

nepats81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
I have both and my use-cases are similar to what you describe. I work remotely and am on the phone a lot; so I use the Beats for prolonged calls, working out, mowing, plane rides, etc. I use the AirPods for average calls and the portability factor. The AirPods stay in my pocket. The Beats stay on my desk or backpack.

Edited to add: for me, the AirPods are useless on a plane. The Beats are borderline.

I gander a perfect 3 piece combo meal deal would be
1 airpods
2. Powerbeats pro
3. Bose over ear noise canceling.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I gander a perfect 3 piece combo meal deal would be
1 airpods
2. Powerbeats pro
3. Bose over ear noise canceling.

This...

AirPods for casual semi stationary use like at my desk. PowerBeats for walking about like traveling through airports. Bose QC35II for on plane use. Though, the Powerbeats do work well on the plane as well. not the most comfortable sleeping with the Bose on.

A perfect trio

esf215

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
I use the AirPods for everyday calls and listening to music. I use my beats pro for when im at the gym or cycling and I use the beat studio3 for when I'm on a plane

Reactions: JoePa2624

nepats81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
I use the AirPods for everyday calls and listening to music. I use my beats pro for when im at the gym or cycling and I use the beat studio3 for when I'm on a plane

This is a great combo meal deal as well. I like the noise canceling on the Bose QC35ii but the beats studio 3 have maximum swag. Especially if you get a fly color

roguester

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2019
Yes. I use AirPods for commuting so I can hear cars or people around me. Powerbeats Pro is used for working out or when I just want to hear the music without any concern about my surroundings.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
Ever since I bought my PowerBeat Pros I haven't touched my AirPods. Then again, I only use them for music at work and exercise, so PBPs fit the bill better for those activities.

That said, I'll be bringing my AirPods with me when I travel, as usual. They're just easier to fool with and take up less space in my bag.

caleski

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2019
Hawaii
Thanks for posting this question as I was wondering this myself.

I have powerbeats pro for the gym and a pair of Sony noise canceling for flights. Just needed a nudge to join the crowd and get some AirPods. Also, too many cute cases tempting me as well lol

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I have booth. And PBP is so amazing that I have forgot my AirPods 2 in my backpack.

I didn’t like the sound of the new AirPods 2. In high volumes it can’t handle well the sound’s quality. As they don’t have some kind of isolation u will keep them loud. So it’s became useless. In fact the AirPods 2 is good for watching content in iPhone or iPad. It hasn’t gap. It’s pretty fast.

But PBP sounds amazing. It’s flat, powerful and involves you with the music.
I’m using it mainly for music at work and in home for relax. It has an amazing fit. With great isolation. Also it doesn’t have gaps in BT connection.
The call quality is as good as in AirPods 2. So If I can handle only one of these, I will keep the PBP.

But I will never sell my AirPods 2. It’s small footprint is perfect for business trips, specially in flights. It’s also perfect to keep with you in off offices things, like meetings.

Maybe that’s the only issue with PBP: the size of the thing. It’s huge. The charging case is so huge. You can’t carry it in your pockets.

So, as OP has asked: Yes, there’s a point in have booth. The portability and sound quality.

Reactions: iGeneo

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
AirPods are super convenient because of the charging case, portability and ease of connectivity. I use them when I want a certain level of situational awareness -like in an airport. They are not noise cancelling and that's OK by me. They're good enough for calls but I prefer a noise cancelling headset for work--I also work at home. Sound quality is actually not bad all things considered and a noticeable improvement over the stock EarPods.

I'm not a fan of the over the ear style headsets, never have been I much prefer in the ear. For working out, airplane, yard work and listening to music in a more intimate setting with fantastic sound quality, I like my RHA Audio MA 750 or 650. The 650 is the best $99 you can spend if sound quality is important to you, in my opinion of course. While not noise cancelling specific, they filter out surrounding noise quite well. You can use the Comply tips they come with and get a really immersive listening experience. They're also very portable by comparison to the over the ear options but in that regard it's hard to beat AirPods.

Initially I purchased a set of the BeatsX and while the connectivity was nice, I found the sound quality was massively underwhelming.

I suppose this is a way of saying, for me there was no magic bullet and multiple options are warranted.

AdModerator

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
I have both... the Powerbeats Pro is mainly used for Gym and Airpods2 for generally listening/calls.

What i like
PBP - more secure in ears for workouts
PBP - seems to have a longer effective bluetooth range
AP2 - easier to carry around
AP2 - way more stable. I had instances of PBP disappearing from my settings totally.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I have both. I love the PBP's for the gym. That's pretty much what I use them for. I use my Airpods for everything else. For the plane and noise cancelling I use Bose QC20's. Much nicer than over the ear IMO as over the ear are too uncomfortable to sleep in.

nepats81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
I think this settles it.
the perfect 3 piece combo meal deal is
Airpods 2-general, calls, fashion/status
PBP - matte black or ivory only, gym, fashion/status
Bose or Sony noise canceling for flights. - sleeping, status but not fashion.

nepats81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
For those on the fence - the Power beats pro are on sale for 200 on most of the major retailers today

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Well my Powerbeats pro just decided they wanted to act a donkey and now will not pair with my Pro Max. Last week the right one stopped working after working fine. I reset them and they worked and today would not pair before going to gym. Ordering some APP not and ready to throw the PBP's in the trash. Sad thing is I really liked them in the gym.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Well my Powerbeats pro just decided they wanted to act a donkey and now will not pair with my Pro Max. Last week the right one stopped working after working fine. I reset them and they worked and today would not pair before going to gym. Ordering some APP not and ready to throw the PBP's in the trash. Sad thing is I really liked them in the gym.
If you have proof of purchase Apple will replace your PBP.
[automerge]1575327468[/automerge]
Are the Powerbeats pro worth it or should I just get the Airpods?
They are absolutely worth it. Especially at $200. The only downside is that the case is huge and isn't pocketable for many.

Reactions: EdMan

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
I had constant issues with multiple sets of Powerbeats Pro. Connection issues and worse, charging issues (Others have described the same).

I finally gave up on them. The Apple store swapped them for Airpods Pro with no questions (they were the ones who suggested it). I’m much, much happier with the APP.

Reactions: EdMan

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I had constant issues with multiple sets of Powerbeats Pro. Connection issues and worse, charging issues (Others have described the same).

I finally gave up on them. The Apple store swapped them for Airpods Pro with no questions (they were the ones who suggested it). I’m much, much happier with the APP.

I have a Genius Bar appt tomorrow.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
If you have proof of purchase Apple will replace your PBP.
[automerge]1575327468[/automerge]

They are absolutely worth it. Especially at $200. The only downside is that the case is huge and isn't pocketable for many.
Yeah they are on offer at John Lewis for £180 (UK) and was debating if I should get them to use with my new iPhone pro max. However I have heard mixed things about comfort...and I wear glasses so I was thinking that it will hurt my ears after a while which is something I don't want as I wear earphones for long periods of time while revising for exams etc....
[automerge]1575330238[/automerge]

Hmm I might go for the AirPods Pro then
But they are very expensive at £250....whilst the Powerbeats pro are £180 at the moment.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

I've owned the PBP since launch with zero issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.