Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
I've been asked to try and recover music (which can't be sourced elsewhere) from a CD-R that's badly scratched and even has holes in the data layer. It actually plays in a regular CD player, but doesn't want to mount on either my Mac or my Windows laptop.

Or rather, it flat-out won't mount under Windows, but occasionally OSX will allow it mount but when it does, it only sees it as a blank disc and asks me what I want to do with it.

Is there anything I can do under OSX to access the data?

I realise that I could make a recording from the analogue audio outputs of a CD player, but I'd have to borrow one first - the only CD player we have these days is in a cheapie plastic CD/radio combo, and it doesn't have any kind of audio line output.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I've been asked to try and recover music (which can't be sourced elsewhere) from a CD-R that's badly scratched and even has holes in the data layer. It actually plays in a regular CD player, but doesn't want to mount on either my Mac or my Windows laptop.

Or rather, it flat-out won't mount under Windows, but occasionally OSX will allow it mount but when it does, it only sees it as a blank disc and asks me what I want to do with it.

Is there anything I can do under OSX to access the data?

I realise that I could make a recording from the analogue audio outputs of a CD player, but I'd have to borrow one first - the only CD player we have these days is in a cheapie plastic CD/radio combo, and it doesn't have any kind of audio line output.

There isn’t too much you can do. As you noted, the most practical suggestion is to record from a regular CD player (some even have digital outputs). Absent that, there are services that can try to recover the data, but the cost would be prohibitive if it’s just music.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I realise that I could make a recording from the analogue audio outputs of a CD player, but I'd have to borrow one first - the only CD player we have these days is in a cheapie plastic CD/radio combo, and it doesn't have any kind of audio line output."

This looks to be "the answer".
Sometimes, the "only way" is to do what you have to do.

jagan

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
Try a Windows desktop-drive if you can find one.
They can be less "picky" reading scratched discs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.