Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ravi_MR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Hi,

For some reason I find it incredibly irritating seeing the blue dots next to recently updated apps.
I need to compulsively open all updated apps to remove the dots..I hate doing it..
Is there a way to stop those blue dot indicators from appearing?

Apologies if this has been answered in the forum before..

Thanks,
Ravi

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I like the blue dots --- maybe I am not alone :cool: (?)
But, I have also noticed that the blue dot disappears after a day or two, even if I don't touch the app after an update.
Anyone else noticed that?

Reactions: justinmreina

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I like the blue dots --- maybe I am not alone :cool: (?)
But, I have also noticed that the blue dot disappears after a day or two, even if I don't touch the app after an update.
Anyone else noticed that?

Yup, I noticed that too. I like the blue dots since I have automatic app updates on so I can tell which app was recently updated. It will go away after a few days but I haven't notice how many days before it actually goes away

Reactions: justinmreina

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
Hi,

For some reason I find it incredibly irritating seeing the blue dots next to recently updated apps.
I need to compulsively open all updated apps to remove the dots..I hate doing it..

Thanks,
Ravi
Out of curiosity, does 3D touching the icon erase the dot?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Out of curiosity, does 3D touching the icon erase the dot?

No. Just tried on an updated app.

As mentioned, the dots disappear after a few days.

Hack/workaround: folders. Most of my apps are in folders, so, I rarely see the dots. My most used apps (i.e. daily drivers) are on the home screen and therefore get used, so no lingering dots.

Reactions: Ravi_MR

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hi,

Thanks,
Ravi
Yeah, life’s difficult sometimes. I hope you’ll find a way to cope.

Reactions: decafjava and panar

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Turn on "updates" in the App Store settings, and don't manually update them from the store. That's what I have done for some time, and I haven't seen a "blue dot" app in a long time. Like you, I don't like to see them. I know my apps are updating--if I check the Updates tab in the App Store, it will show the apps that have updated recently and how long ago.

Ravi_MR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Yup, I noticed that too. I like the blue dots since I have automatic app updates on so I can tell which app was recently updated. It will go away after a few days but I haven't notice how many days before it actually goes away
Thanks, now i understand why it is needed. I can see those who have auto updates on would like to know if an app has been updated.. Planning to move unsused apps to a folder as nobomac suggested.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I have blue and orange. Blue you outlined here. Orange, which does not go away, is for apps you’re beta testing. If having a dot by the name bugs you do not beta test apps.

christo747

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2007
Kiel Beach, Germany
"Just leave them alone. There is no harm done by the blue dot."

Yes there is! The name of the Apps is shortened. And because there is so little space most app names are shortened with three dots (...) at the end of the word. It looks just ridiculous!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
"Just leave them alone. There is no harm done by the blue dot."

Yes there is! The name of the Apps is shortened. And because there is so little space most app names are shortened with three dots (...) at the end of the word. It looks just ridiculous!
You can open and close the app to remove the dot. That's really about it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, I know. But doing that for 100 Apps every two weeks? It’s just sad, still typically Apple. And a problem where you don’t need 1000 engineers to come up with a good solution. You just need one good idea.
I think at some point those go away as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.