Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

praxis219

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Curious as to those of you who have received your iPhone 11 Pro Max if the screen is warm or cool? With True Tone turned off of course.

I had 4 different XS Max phones (various reasons, including warranty replacements) and the screen color temperature/quality was all over the place. I had two crisp white displays and two dingey yellow displays. The color filter in display accommodations is not a replacement for letting us set the white point.

Hoping the 11 Pro Max will be better.

Edit 9/23: Here are my two iPhone 11 Max Pros. Left one I picked up today is way more saturated in color/less color shift than the one I got last week. Way more noticeable in real life.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-09-23 194730.png
    Annotation 2019-09-23 194730.png
    580.9 KB · Views: 11,262
Last edited:

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
You’re going to have to explain the four different Xs Max phones...that seems a bit much. The screen temperatures are calibrated yes, but a warmer display could be the norm this year. Who knows.
I’m eager to hear about the screens, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some are warm, and some are cool.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

praxis219

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
You’re going to have to explain the four different Xs Max phones...that seems a bit much.

1st one was launch day Gold phone, didn't like it and exchanged it for Silver. Used that one for many months until the motherboard flat out died and it went into a boot loop -- replaced under warranty. The replacement phone worked great for two weeks then the volume down would trigger by itself, so it kept muting. They replaced it again under warranty. This one has been great except for the yellow tinted screen.

Really miss my iPhone X, that one had the best, most even crisp cool temperature screen.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
The screens can't possibly get warmer and warmer and warmer and warmer every year. They've gotten warmer every year since the 6, good grief. Eventually it's too far, and we reached that point with the Xs.

Need a whitepoint slider.

praxis219

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
The screens can't possibly get warmer and warmer and warmer and warmer every year. They've gotten warmer every year since the 6, good grief. Eventually it's too far, and we reached that point with the Xs.

I know right? Here's a preview of the iPhone 13.

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,964

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

It’s a good thing xr has some non jaundice-y displays out there , but not all

Reactions: NemiMangal

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
My iPhone X had a perfect white point, my iPhone XS not so much. However my iPhone XS’s display barely has a color shift, it’s almost non-existent.

All the iPhone XSs were awfully yellow last year.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Curious as to those of you who have received your iPhone 11 Pro Max if the screen is warm or cool? With True Tone turned off of course.

I had 4 different XS Max phones (various reasons, including warranty replacements) and the screen color temperature/quality was all over the place. I had two crisp white displays and two dingey yellow displays. The color filter in display accommodations is not a replacement for letting us set the white point.

Hoping the 11 Pro Max will be better.
From pics over the net I see a problem with pink, not yellow.

Archieboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
I registered just to reply to this

I order about 4 iPhones every time I upgrade and play screen lottery because of apples either -different suppliers of panels or—quality control.

today I thought I’d give apple the benefit of the doubt and I just picked up one 11pro max. At apple logo I realised I’d gotten a ‘yellow dull’ display. Got my partner to pick up more on her way home from work. Two was the maximum limit, both screens are much better. One better than the other. Less yellowing in white balance but much more importantly the colour contrast difference is huge. Still not as great as my XS maX but I’ll accept it.
And for those who say to go into display accomodations to change settings, that does not help. It creates other issues and is a shortcut solution on apples behalf to fixing quality issues.

I hate being wasteful, but when I pay so much money for an iPhone I expect to receive a proper display in one go. It’s so disappointing that I have to do this nonsense every year. if only more consumers were alluded to this maybe apple would stop cutting corners here.

praxis219

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Anyone got their Pro Max today? I've seen some posts regarding Pros having white screens, but nothing about the Max.

Mine's delivered at home but at the office right now :(

Alex586

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
My first OLED iPhone since my iPhone 8. Colors are lot warmer on my 11 Pro than my i8. I don't like it very much... but, maybe it's all 11 Pro like that or OLED lottery, I don't know :D

Shackrat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Compared to my iPhone X which I am replacing today, there is a very noticeable dingy-yellow color cast. The color temperature is definitely warmer that I would like. The phone I attached was taking with my iPad Pro showing the X on the left and Pro Max on the right.

I haven't decided is I am going to live with it or not.. If I don't see the two side by side the issue isn't as noticeable to me. Given the other reports I have read I am inclined to believe that is intentional.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.png
    IMG_0043.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 8,070

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
if you aren't happy with the display, no matter the technical explanation and yes more accurate displays do run warmer but to a point, shouldn't be to where it impacts your enjoyment of non-video watching, you shouldn't be rationalizing a minimum 1000+ dollar purchase

you should be 100% amped about it imo

Just played with a few 10 pro and max, didn't look obsessively but the display didn't look too warm to my eyes in store. then again that lighting is great

and the store displays are probably cherry picked too

Alex586

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
Compared to my iPhone X which I am replacing today, there is a very noticeable dingy-yellow color cast. The color temperature is definitely warmer that I would like. The phone I attached was taking with my iPad Pro showing the X on the left and Pro Max on the right.

I haven't decided is I am going to live with it or not.. If I don't see the two side by side the issue isn't as noticeable to me. Given the other reports I have read I am inclined to believe that is intentional.
For me your X is yellow-ish than the Pro, based on the green button I see.

Reactions: iRabbit and SRLMJ23

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

I would turn off true tone when comparing displays

I think true tone calibration has its own form of variance too,

Xyer

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
I got a XS Max last year on launch and had a gross yellow tint to my screen. I ended up returning it.

I figured a year would improve the screen and bought the 11 Pro Max. I was super excited when I got the phone and nope.....this one is actually worse than the XS Max screen last year. It’s got a yellow tint with TT turned off and it’s incredibly dimmer than my iPhone 7+. With both at full brightness, the 7 is noticeably more vibrant and brighter.

I guess I’m going to return it and just give up on a new iPhone for now. So incredibly disappointed. $1,000 for a phone and a screen lottery is still needed. I don’t have it in me to do the exchange song and dance until I find one I like.

Reactions: BigSky20

praxis219

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
LMAO. God, I love these ridiculous color tint posts every year. So funny to read.

One of my XS Maxes last year had a screen where even looking at it straight-on had two different color zones, literally the bottom half was a different tint looking at it with no angles. The color shift was ridiculous. Then I had 2 phones that were perfect and white.

I don't think these complaints are overblown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.