Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I just can not stand yellowing of white, anywhere, not just displays. Yellowing white walls, door frames etc aged yellowing white paper, clothes, fabrics. It’s Gross! It reminds me of nicotine staining. Its maybe ocd but I have such a strong compulsion to cover anything nicotine stained with white. It’s unbearable on a phone display, intentional or defect.

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
I noticed that when I turn on Night Shift, the top of my Pro Max's display turns redder than the bottom. I'm keen to say that only the notch side is redder than the rest of the display, especially in apps with Dark Mode enabled and dark gray or similar backgrounds. Disabling Night Shift I can not notice this difference. Has anyone else noticed this?

You can probably see it even with night shift off at lower brightness settings. I had a unit like that where the top 1/3 of the screen had a distinct purple tint, ended up returning it. The one I kept is fairly uniform in terms of color.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
Don't we have to give the OLED panel time to soften, just like OLED TVs?
What do you mean by Soften? In other words how an OLED Tv soften? Do you mean the panel becomes more even or becomes cooler overtime?
[automerge]1573221546[/automerge]
[automerge]1573221782[/automerge]
You can probably see it even with night shift off at lower brightness settings. I had a unit like that where the top 1/3 of the screen had a distinct purple tint, ended up returning it. The one I kept is fairly uniform in terms of color.

Beside a warm tint what would really annoys me is a uneven screen or a color shift issue (as the one I've related previously) as this is really disturbing and difficult to get use to.

Last edited:

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
What do you mean by Soften? In other words how an OLED Tv soften? Do you mean the panel becomes more even or becomes cooler overtime?
[automerge]1573221546[/automerge]
[automerge]1573221782[/automerge]

Beside a warm tint what would really annoys me is a uneven screen or a color shift issue (as the one I've related previously) as this is really disturbing and difficult to get use to.

I've read in some places that OLED TVs don't give their image and brightness as soon as they come out of the box. It takes a while for organic pixels to reach their maximum color and brightness capabilities.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I've read in some places that OLED TVs don't give their image and brightness as soon as they come out of the box. It takes a while for organic pixels to reach their maximum color and brightness capabilities.
My LG OLED tv tends to colour shift according to the ambient condition of the room at particular time’s of the day. By saying colour shift, I don’t mean negatively. It’s very subtle. The whites are however very white. We have two LG oleds at home and think we got lucky as both have great panel uniformity & no hint of yellowing whites.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
The uniformity of my Pro Max, however it may be, is not noticeable in white background apps like Instagram, WhatsApp, Bank app, etc. I can only tell the difference with Night Shift enabled and dark background like YouTube with Dark Mode on. And I'm really looking for uniformity.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Are you sure? I’d like to this it does but it makes no sense how it gets cooler over time.
AKA, your eyes will adjust Or You’ll get used to it.

It doesn’t get cooler per se, the warmer tone just becomes your new normal

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy_uk

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
AKA, your eyes will adjust Or You’ll get used to it.

Agreed also... Again and again :) ... A warmer screen is much better for our eyes. Indeed as long as the screen is even or not shifting colors like crazy.

Arste

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Guys, i get new 11 pro max, 40 week production. Can you tell me something about my screen. I have yellow tint? I have true tone off, auto brightness off, night shift off.
50% brignthess, my is the left, in the right applestore
DE89AC16-EDAB-4998-A8F1-84BBAF38B0EA.jpeg

100% brightness
24CE2478-8A69-42BD-9784-B134B936746C.jpeg

Please help because i dont know what doing on my phone

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Guys, i get new 11 pro max, 40 week production. Can you tell me something about my screen. I have yellow tint? I have true tone off, auto brightness off, night shift off.
50% brignthess, my is the left, in the right applestore
View attachment 877567
100% brightness
View attachment 877568
Please help because i dont know what doing on my phone
They both look good to me. The one on the right looks slightly cooler (my preference) while the one on left is a bit warmer. I wouldn’t describe it as ‘yellow’ tinted though. Just warmer than the one it’s being compared to

socceryo3

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
They both look good to me. The one on the right looks slightly cooler (my preference) while the one on left is a bit warmer. I wouldn’t describe it as ‘yellow’ tinted though. Just warmer than the one it’s being compared to
I also prefer the one on the right, but I do consider the one on the left to be yellow. That’s what warmer is. The whites look yellow.

Arste

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
I dont know what doing right now. Return my iphone or keep it. What you think guys?
Maybe useing color filtres?
Another one photo, 100% br, my on the right
ACE745DE-C0B2-41D1-BA66-FBAF72F5F899.jpeg

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Thanks, any other opinions?
My suggestion would be to come to your own conclusions. If you cannot see any issues why do you go looking to others to find an issue? The point of this thread is to compare if yours has an issue against others who say they have an issue.

Why must people keep coming asking for us to validate they have an issue? It's almost like you guys want to find something wrong.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Thanks, any other opinions?

Your iPhone looks good to me as well. ?

I used to leave TT OFF, auto brightness ON. TT Off is whiter has a blue hue rather than yellow

I agree with you never turn on ‘Night ****’ errr I mean ‘Shift’. It’s truly yellow.

One night screen was too bright for my eyes, even with lower brightness so I turned TT On to warm the display so it wouldn’t seer my eyes that night. I forgot to turn it back Off and my eyes acclimated to it. It wasn’t until days later I realized that I had left TT On. So that’s where it’s been. Much easier at night and it auto brightens up in the day. I made a mountain out of a mole hill it seems.

My uniformity was more than fine and thats what really counts. No bright spots that wash out the deep OLED blacks. No black crush.

Congrats on that beautiful phone. Now enjoy it. Forget this thread exsisted. I think it’s got some folk worried over the warmer tone this year for nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.