Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronyyy

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
Got my 11 Pro to replace my 11 a few days ago. One day in, realised the screen colour looked warm. Compared it side by side with the 11 and the difference was night and day.

The yellow tint only appears when looking at the screen straight-on. When tilted ~30degrees any side the colours actually look great.

I did a lot of experimenting, and realise the yellow tint still appears when I set grayscale on colour filters. Anyone else can confirm this behaviour? This leads me to wonder if the issue is actually with the display, or the screen/coating?

Of course the usual applies - truetone off, nightshift off, different brightness settings, etc.

Unfortunately I bought the phone in a country without Apple Store, and the retailer refuses to do an return/exchange as they only accept returns for defective products, and have decided this behaviour is normal for OLED screens. Does anyone know if I will be able to get support from an overseas Apple Store?

Nightrhyme

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019
I also tend to think the 11pro's have been calibrated warmer this year. I went to numerous stores and compared xs's to pro's and all the pros had warmer displays. Almost to the point where a pro with true tone off was actually pretty close to a xs with true tone on..
I was really obsessing over it.

With that said I have now owned my 11pro for a month and I am now at the point where I think I prefer the warm tone. If I turn true tone of(which is still much warmer than xs with true tone on) I now think it looks awful.

The 11 Pro screen is perfectly uniform and 5%grey looks perfect.

I now find myselft messing with the colortone on my ipad to make it warmer...hmmmm

Goreli4

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2017
Ukraine
Good solution. I will try this! Because the yellow tint on the Pro Max is distracting
Thank you very much! You are a wizard!
[automerge]1575754592[/automerge]
POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
Thank you very much! You are a wizard!

So here’s my story. I received the 256 iPhone 11 Pro Max yesterday. Before opening, I went to the Apple store in woodcliff lake, nj to see how I’d like it in case I wanted to return it.

Most iPhone 11 pro max phones had some yellowing. I looked closely at 5 of them. I compared them to each other and the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 pro (2 of each). I also, of course, compared them to my XS Max.

3 of the 5 iPhone 11 pro Max phones were excellent. Bright and white. The other two horrible.

I called a customer service guy over, Lucas, and showed him the difference. He had no idea what was up.

Here’s what might help everybody. I went home, opened mine, set it up - and it was HORRIBLE. Photos yellow, internet pages yellow, emails yellow...

Obviously a return. Until I did this...

Went to Accessabilites. Toggled Auto Brightness off and back on 4-5 times. Left it OFF.

Then, plugged phone in to charge to get battery to 100%. As it was charging, I went to TRU TONE and turned it OFF. Put phone down and walked away for around 20 minutes.

Came back to phone and turned AUTO BRIGHTNESS back ON.

Turned True Tone back on.

Left phone to get to 100% charge.

Unplugged phone, and BAM. Screen is beautiful. Now even whiter than my iPhone XS Max.

This is amazing. I’m now keeping the phone.

To be clear - I have been comparing to my old phone all night. It started off yellow and dingy. It is now perfect white wear it should be.

I don’t know how it happened. But I’m glad it did.

cahn2126

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Got an iphone 11 pro today and I am experiencing the same neutral/yellowish tone head on, but bluish tone when viewed off angle. WTF?

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
This is maybe factory and production date dependent.

Example:
s/n: FK1ZKxxxxxxxx
FK1 --> Factory: China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn
ZK --> Week: 42 (14.10 - 20.10)

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
This is maybe factory and production date dependent.

Example:
s/n: FK1ZKxxxxxxxx
FK1 --> Factory: China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn
ZK --> Week: 42 (14.10 - 20.10)
do you know which factory and production date actually have good screens? Because it almost looks like every phone has the yellow tint issue.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
do you know which factory and production date actually have good screens? Because it almost looks like every phone has the yellow tint issue.
I have solace in knowing that most of the new 11 pro Max’s have this issue. At the end of the day it will not be undervalued when it comes time to sell or trade ?

Reactions: Aydy

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Every single year is amusing how threads like this are populated...
Users (mostly newbie) trying to convince others that their perfectly working iPhone are defective.

strange enough every single review shows accurately calibrated iPhone... (and those are NOT special units).

Reactions: m0sher

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I have solace in knowing that most of the new 11 pro Max’s have this issue. At the end of the day it will not be undervalued when it comes time to sell or trade ?
This is true. At this point it appears to be an unfortunate and unappealing, often repugnant (to some) side effect of the sourced oled panels or apples own inconsistent calibration process

For me personally, I was prepared to live with it as my takeaway from reading forums & threads similar to this was that it was accepted as the norm and just the way of things, BUT after a sound issue developed on mine It was replaced with what I’d consider a perfectly calibrated display with no yellowing whatsoever. It does appear to be luck of the draw..

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
It’s normal to have the yellow tint since last years phones. It’s not new to 11Pro line.

DisplayMate altready deemed it an amazing display. No joke, it was thoroughly tested.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone_11Pro_ShootOut_1P.htm

Here’s a reminder of last years phones. Read the thread, notice any similarities?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/here-we-go-again-yellow-tint-xs-xs-max.2140260/

93E28268-8BC8-4C27-9A52-EFBD3E44EC75.jpeg

I check for backlight bleed so I don’t have any black crush and if I don’t have any, the phone is good to go.

Don’t like the yellow tint? Turn TT off. Done. I complained about the yellow tint originally but text turns out harsher on the eyes, but they are your eyes.

Others phone companies use different tint like bluish or pinkish to color filter the light.

Reactions: FlyingDutch

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Don’t like the yellow tint? Turn TT off. Done. I complained about the yellow tint originally but text turns out harsher on the eyes, but they are your eyes.

For some (my original included) yellowing is persistent with TT already off.

Also, displaymate, as with many industry sites receive cherry picked devices for review/testing. It’s taken me a while but I’ve gradually come round to the sheer volume of manipulation in industry journalism. I tend to avoid heavily sponsored tech media in general and find forum & anecdotal discussion far more relatable.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013

Also, displaymate, as with many industry sites receive cherry picked devices for review/testing. It’s taken me a while but I’ve gradually come round to the sheer volume of manipulation in industry journalism. I tend to avoid heavily sponsored tech media in general and find forum & anecdotal discussion far more relatable.
How do you know for sure they are cherry picked?

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
How do you know for sure they are cherry picked?
It’s not difficult to find plenty of discussion on DM in particular and cherry picked devices but off the top of my head there was an AMA a year or so back on reddit where one of the site contributors explained the need for sponsorship and a trade off is that while they mostly purchase the devices they test, they also could not control on occasions where devices are sent to them and if those devices are consumer variant or hand selected for review purpose.

Solely based on the volume of devices they test I think it a perfectly reasonable assumption that they in fact welcome sponsorship association from manufacturers.

Last edited:

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
It’s not difficult to find plenty of discussion on DM in particular and cherry picked devices but off the top of my head there was an AMA a year or so back on reddit where one of the site contributors explained the need for sponsorship and a trade off is that while they mostly purchase the devices they test, they also could not control on occasions where devices are sent to them and if those devices are consumer variant or hand selected for review purpose.

Solely based on the volume of devices they test I think it a perfectly reasonable assumption that they in fact welcome sponsorship association from manufacturers.

Yeah all those actual tests that they run mean absolutely nothing, I’m sorry I think you really don’t understand even if they got a cherry picked device the display is still the display and all the other company sent their own cherry pick devices that DP did a lot of testing, they didn’t just look at the phone.

I understand that you like advice and opinions from actual users but you can’t throw away all that testing that DisplayMate did and say that it’s sponsored stuff

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I understand that you like advice and opinions from actual users but you can’t throw away all that testing that DisplayMate did and say that it’s sponsored stuff

I’m not throwing away all the testing. I’m saying I, personally take it with a pinch of salt or with some trepidation as I do with the majority of sponsored (in bed with the industry) tech media. Mostly I find their findings rarely translate to what my own eyes find visually pleasing. That’s a personal thing but there can be no denying that while many of these devices achieving near perfect scores is commendable, they are on the flip side in fact leaving many consumers cold with their ‘frankly, off putting tendency to the overly warm calibration.

I personally think apple’s persistence on these calibration techniques has more to do with negating incidences of display burn-in. It’s not lost on me that Samsung and many other oled android device/manufacturers have a much higher incidence rate of display burn-in than Apple oled devices. It’s also not lost on me the cooler, almost Lcd whites those devices achieve. Perhaps coincidental that those devices are far more susceptible to burn than apples overly warm calibrated models? My best guess is that apples persistence on the warm calibration is on purpose & not defect.

Last edited:

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

Nope.
Displaymate and many other websites received production units.
many websites actually bought the iPhone on retail (Apple isn’t keen on giving units for reviews).

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I also tend to think the 11pro's have been calibrated warmer this year. I went to numerous stores and compared xs's to pro's and all the pros had warmer displays. Almost to the point where a pro with true tone off was actually pretty close to a xs with true tone on..
I was really obsessing over it.

With that said I have now owned my 11pro for a month and I am now at the point where I think I prefer the warm tone. If I turn true tone of(which is still much warmer than xs with true tone on) I now think it looks awful.

The 11 Pro screen is perfectly uniform and 5%grey looks perfect.

I now find myselft messing with the colortone on my ipad to make it warmer...hmmmm
I think they said that the current Samsung panels have even more blue light filter. I noticed more yellowing on the s10+ OLED panels from previous generations .
Also tilting the display and noticing blue is called blue shift.

cahn2126

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
It’s normal to have the yellow tint since last years phones. It’s not new to 11Pro line.

DisplayMate altready deemed it an amazing display. No joke, it was thoroughly tested.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone_11Pro_ShootOut_1P.htm

Here’s a reminder of last years phones. Read the thread, notice any similarities?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/here-we-go-again-yellow-tint-xs-xs-max.2140260/

View attachment 881488

I check for backlight bleed so I don’t have any black crush and if I don’t have any, the phone is good to go.

Others phone companies use different tint like bluish or pinkish to color filter the light.

I get the yellow tint with true tone and night shift both off. When I look at the phone at a slight angle I get a blue tint to the screen which looks better for whites. The color shift is annoying af.

Nightrhyme

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019
Yeah mine is exactly the same. At least it is 100% uniform. I have yet to see a pro without the yellow tint.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Notebookcheck.net reviews of iPhone 11 and 11 Pro noted that the 11 actually is more color accurate than the 11 Pro, the latter also having a white point slightly warmer than ideal. I always like reading their calibration results on phones and laptops. This echos everything people are saying in these threads, the Pro screens look warmer. Apple made them this way. I have the 11 Pro Max, my screen is warmer than my partner's 11 that I sold for her, and her Pro Max is warmer as well. Does not bother me unless the screens are very yellow, that's a defect.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...-an-affordable-Apple-smartphone.435087.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...than-you-could-shake-a-stick-at.435092.0.html

cahn2126

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Yeah mine is exactly the same. At least it is 100% uniform. I have yet to see a pro without the yellow tint.

So I went to my genius bar appointment yesterday, and showed them the color shift on my 2 day old iphone 11 pro. It's goes from warm/yellowish looking dead on to a blue hue when looked at any angle. They said that is normal. I looked at her phone with identical settings and yes it has the same color shift as mine. I even looked at all the iphone 11 pro floor models with the same settings and it's all the same. I told her that looks bad IMO, but she said that's just the way they are designed. OLED tvs and monitors don't do that. I looked at all the regular iphone 11 floor models and none of them have the off angle viewing color change. Also, the iphone 11 has a more blue tone, and that blue tone stays consistent at ANY angle.

So I'm keeping this phone. It's actually for my wife, and it doesn't bother her, but at least I know that it's not a defect. IMO if I was getting one of the new iphones for myself, I'd get the iphone 11. Sure, it's not as sharp but that color shift on the Pro models is very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.