Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
It's better than Word

I ordered Pages as soon as it was announced, and it immediately replaced Word as my primary word processing program.

I'm not sure what many other posters are thinking, because Word is FAR from the best application on my mac, it's closer to the worst. It tends to crash on my when saving, or pasting, or moving text (and it's not my install, three different computers all do the same thing).

Now for Pages, yes it was a little hard to get used to. I was constantly looking for a quick way of changing font styles and sizes, same thing with margins and headers and footers. But then I realised that I was ALWAYS making the same couple of changes. So I set up a blank document with the margins and tracking / numbering settings that I commonly use. Then made 4 new text styles and saved the document as a template.

Now I'm using a template that has all of my settings and favorite fonts / sizes / spacing easily accessible through one click on a style button. And since I did that, I havn't gone looking for a setting (other than for some image manip). Basically, what I'm trying to get at is this; if you found Pages UI to be hard to work with, just create some new paragraph styles and a document template for margins / global settings.

As far as bloat goes..... yes Pages does tend to slow down when there are lots of images hanging around, BUT I can't say that the slowdown is any worse than opening the same document in Word.

Overall it was a worthwhile purchase, but I'm still looking forward to future upgrades

edwin.bossier

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2005
Belgium
broken_keyboard said:
I thought it was revolutionary - the idea that you always start with a template and never with a blank document. I thought - wow, all these years and Microsoft didn't come up with this?

But after trying to use it, it was non-intuitive and I gave up after about 10 minutes.

Word does actually start with a template rather than a blank document. Its name is normal.dot and you can change it anyway you like (put some formatting, text, headers and footers on it ...) and save it. Its a template like any other Word template you can create or use.

kd0tc0m

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2005
DC
wrldwzrd89 said:
I don't think Pages is horrible. It's not great, but it isn't quite as bad for me as everyone else finds it. I don't use it all that much (Keynote gets used far more than Pages does).

I'm with you. I'm new to the world of Mac and I want to stay clear of Word. It's not a great app, but it's something I'm getting used to.

Same with Keynote, different approach, but I like it better than the world of PP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.