Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011
8AM: 85%.
24 hours later: 50%.

30-minute work out, three 5-minute Breathe sessions, roughly 100 email, text message, activity notifications.

On: AOD, Wake on raise, heart rate monitor, activity sharing
Off: Siri, crown haptics, sound muted, noise, app refresh, cellular not activated, brightness low, transparency.

I'm mildly happy with battery.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
It doesn’t matter if you haven’t installed any new apps. Processes can still get stuck working in the background. Instead of going through the unpairing process try the method I mentioned above and it will fix your issue.

I always killed the apps running in the background and even have background refresh off as well as all app notifications except for sms and calls. The battery in my S4 is horrible now a year later and I forgot to get AppleCare+, so I have to stick with this until next year’s release (don’t want the S5)

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I always killed the apps running in the background and even have background refresh off as well as all app notifications except for sms and calls. The battery in my S4 is horrible now a year later and I forgot to get AppleCare+, so I have to stick with this until next year’s release (don’t want the S5)

Understood. I would take it to Apple if you have a store nearby. They might be able to do something for you even without AppleCare. Worth a try.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

Garyhe23

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015

30-minute work out, three 5-minute Breathe sessions, roughly 100 email, text message, activity notifications.

Off: Siri, crown haptics, sound muted, noise, app refresh, cellular not activated, brightness low, transparency.

Your watch can hold up to 3 days?

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013

Are you joking??

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I’m not noticing much difference from 6.0.1 to 6.1. About 3-3.5% per hour. That’s still acceptable to me, though. Series 5 Hermès, BTW.

MJ0778

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
Bremen, Germany
No. The same like with 6.01. I don't reach the 2 days like in the old days of watchOS 5
(AW 4 cell)
After 24h I got 50% with Airplan and theatre mode over night. The first night, the watch drops from 100% to 94%. The second from 50% to 40% which isn't enough for a day.
I think, the battery drain during airplane/theater mode is still too high. Comparing to watchOS 5, I had a drop from 100% to 98%.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Today is my first day not doing a workout while listening to music for a couple hours. I am at 13 hours standby 1.5 hours usage and it’s at 57%. Seems listening to music on cell is what kills it for me.
s5 cell 44m noise and app refresh off lowest brightness everything else on.

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011
Your watch can hold up to 3 days?

Are you joking??

I end up charging at 40% and no more past 85%, so not quite 48 hours for my pattern. If it matters, I use the Simple watchface with the hour markers. The complications I use are alarm, stopwatch, sunset, and timer, and I take off my watch as soon as I close all my rings so 12 hours max. And probably most important, while the watch has AOD, it's under a sleeve throughout the day so brightness is minimal.

MilkCake

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
Michigan
S4 GPS
down to 5% now
4 hours 9 minutes usage
standby 1 day, 20 hours
IMG_0595.PNG
workout power saving mode is off
background app refresh off
Siri and haptics on

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
Yesterday, I went 12 1/2 hours and still had 71%. Noise on, AOD on, GPS and Cell on. Many calls, many emails, lots of text. About 20 notifications from my home cameras (cats moving around).

So, I am happy with this. Better than my Series 1 and 3.

Reactions: confessJason

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
No noticeable improvement for me going from 6.01 to 6.1 but I am happy with 2.5 to 3% an hour. It will tie me over until AW is released next year....hopefully with micro- led

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Yesterday, I went 12 1/2 hours and still had 71%. Noise on, AOD on, GPS and Cell on. Many calls, many emails, lots of text. About 20 notifications from my home cameras (cats moving around).

So, I am happy with this. Better than my Series 1 and 3.

it appears that if you don’t do workouts while listening to music the watch lasts. Did you do any workouts? Whenever I don’t do workouts it lasts over 24 hours. When I do it’s under the 18 hour window.
[automerge]1572973096[/automerge]
on 71% with over 8 hours standby...best results yet.

ya I was on 70% after 10 hours standby without workouts on Sunday.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
it appears that if you don’t do workouts while listening to music the watch lasts. Did you do any workouts? Whenever I don’t do workouts it lasts over 24 hours. When I do it’s under the 18 hour window.

I’m thinking maybe took a few cycles to get where it needed to be...on 53% on 12 hours standby. No workouts though but even that only uses 10% at most

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA

I did not do any workouts. I do walk a lot everyday. I have Pedometer++ installed to monitor that. Almost 4 miles yesterday. But I do that everyday.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
Well I just hit 28 hours with 10% left. 3 hours of active including 30 minutes of running with music streaming to headset on cellular. However I tried airplane and theatre mode during the night but still drained +2% per hour.
Overall i real like it but I guess I have to accept that it needs a charge every 24hours. On the plus side I find it charges faster than my AW2 which actually gets about the same or worse time with 6.1. Will give it to a family member now that I am keeping my AW5. Hopefully Apple has figured out how to do multi day battery life by the time I need to replace the AW5.

This is with AOD on, Cellular on and GPS on, Siri, RTW, most background refresh and Noise off. Is there anything else to play with that might impact the battery life? I have used the modular clock face with 6 complications. Maybe switching to a simpler one would help? If only option is to turn off AOD I might as well get the AW4. Plus if turning off AOD gives me maybe 2more hours the saving isn't worth it. However I will try it now just to see what it does to battery life!

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Well I just hit 28 hours with 10% left. 3 hours of active including 30 minutes of running with music streaming to headset on cellular. However I tried airplane and theatre mode during the night but still drained +2% per hour.
Overall i real like it but I guess I have to accept that it needs a charge every 24hours. On the plus side I find it charges faster than my AW2 which actually gets about the same or worse time with 6.1. Will give it to a family member now that I am keeping my AW5. Hopefully Apple has figured out how to do multi day battery life by the time I need to replace the AW5.

This is with AOD on, Cellular on and GPS on, Siri, RTW, most background refresh and Noise off. Is there anything else to play with that might impact the battery life? I have used the modular clock face with 6 complications. Maybe switching to a simpler one would help? If only option is to turn off AOD I might as well get the AW4. Plus if turning off AOD gives me maybe 2more hours the saving isn't worth it. However I will try it now just to see what it does to battery life!
I get almost double battery life when AOD is off. Approximately 24 hrs with AOD on and 48 hours with AOD off.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
Wow so if I truly want longer battery life say when traveling turning of AOD would do the trick? What about RTW do you turn that on instead or is that off as well to reach that number?

Reactions: ferretex

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I’m thinking maybe took a few cycles to get where it needed to be...on 53% on 12 hours standby. No workouts though but even that only uses 10% at most

when I do workout with music on cell it takes 30%+ at least for 1.5-2 hours of it.
[automerge]1573002535[/automerge]
Wow so if I truly want longer battery life say when traveling turning of AOD would do the trick? What about RTW do you turn that on instead or is that off as well to reach that number?

no, AOD won’t help much. It’s workouts and steaming music that sucks it down
Specially on Cell.
I tried with RTW off and on and not really that much of a difference. And it really depends on you and your use. No one person is the same.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
when I do workout with music on cell it takes 30%+ at least for 1.5-2 hours of it.
[automerge]1573002535[/automerge]

no, AOD won’t help much. It’s workouts and steaming music that sucks it down
Specially on Cell.
I tried with RTW off and on and not really that much of a difference. And it really depends on you and your use. No one person is the same.

My battery drops about 9% for a 40 minute workout

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.