Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
...Oh wait, that's itsOver9000, zooming past me on the MR charts with a fleet of nearly 20 computers.

I'm impressed with the relatively short time it took for this user to overtake me, especially when the points-to-WU ratio suggest that those are only CPU cores, like mine.

A message to iO9K: Get a good video card in one or two of those to get some GPU work units, and you'll hit Top 50 or higher in no time! And whatever you do, keep folding-- we need the points.

/gets a mouthful of iO9K's dust
//hmmm, tastes like Pixy Stix :D

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'm back in doing a little folding again. And it has been a while. Since 2013 or 14. I didn't like being so far down in the numbers, # 249 so I'm hoping to get out of the 200's but it's going to be a bit. I don't have any big graphics cards to do the heavy lifting so I'm just relying on my 2 iMacs at home to carry me there.
I may be working on setting up an eGPU soon so maybe that'll help a bit.
I just have another 150 or so spots to catch up to dXTC :)

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I just have another 150 or so spots to catch up to dXTC :)
Funny you should say this. Extreme Overclocking currently lists you as one of my "Top Threats", estimating that at current rates, you'll overtake me in less than 6 months.

A single GPU core would boost you past me pretty quickly; I'm only making about 8K to 10K points a day. I'm not running anything special either-- a Dell Core i3-based laptop 24/7, a MacBook Pro about 50% of the day, and an iMac for one overnight run each day. When I fold, I let it go full speed, but on the MBP and iMac, I usually hit the Finish button, as they have other functions. The Dell laptop has the best points/energy-usage ratio, and was an unexpected gift, so I have no problems with running it continuously.

They get occasional help from two hand-me-down Dell Core 2 Duo SFF desktops that I refreshed with Linux Mint. As much as I'd like to run a GPU in those, they don't have power supplies strong enough to run any whitelisted video cards. I had those two running almost 24/7 over the holidays for a little number boost (up to 12-14K points daily), but my electricity bill has informed me that I really need to let those rest for a bit.

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I just added my nephews PC in the mix for the weekend to see what it will add. It has a Skylake i5 6600k and a Radeon R9 290 (at least I think it's a 290) so far it's estimating 116k per day and I'll run it at least until Sunday.

My wife and I iMacs are set to crunch when idle so through the night is when they really get to do something.
I've never folded with a gpu before and am quite surprised at the crunching power those things have.

My cpu estimates 28k per day and my wife's at 21k per day but unless they get to run all day long I'm guessing they may be doing around 10-12k each.
I've gone up 48 spots since last Saturday, it'll be interesting to keep checking back week to week but now I'm getting to a point where there is much greater points in between each spot. Where I was at there was only 1,000-3,000 points separating people out from one spot to the next, now it's more like 10,000-20,000 between.

actually his gpu is an R9 380, not a crunching beast but it seems to be doing a good job.

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Interested to see how my setup will be doing after tomorrow.
I have an Akitio Thunder2 box on it's way as well as an EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+. I'm hoping that thing can do some nice folding as an eGPU.
If anything, extremeoc has me estimated to catch you in 1.1 months now. That's just mainly because this has been a weekend where I could just let the computers do their thing. The wife and I have been binge watching Chicago Fire so we haven't touched the desktops at all. Usually they are only able to really fold uninterrupted at night.

So hopefully, I can be breezing by or at least breaking into the top 100 by March.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm hoping that thing can do some nice folding as an eGPU.

Under OSX ? I fear not much. The openCL driver for Mac seems still not on a level useful for folding (at least to my knowledge); only CPU folding under Mac. If you run the 980Ti under Linux or Windows: it's a monster !

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Under OSX ? I fear not much. The openCL driver for Mac seems still not on a level useful for folding (at least to my knowledge); only CPU folding under Mac. If you run the 980Ti under Linux or Windows: it's a monster !
Yeah I was reading that, I'll be putting Win10 on it later today and we'll see how it works and what kind of power it has. I have had anything with a true desktop sized GPU in about 7 years.

On another note
I tried using your folding app for iPhone and I'm assuming there is a compatibility issue with the current 9.3beta. I just came across it yesterday and haven't tried it on a non-beta iOS device.

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
On another note
I tried using your folding app for iPhone and I'm assuming there is a compatibility issue with the current 9.3beta. I just came across it yesterday and haven't tried it on a non-beta iOS device.
working on an upgrade ... I'm not yet happy with some UX-issues in area of table-based configuration I need to get straight first :-(

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
it would be nice to get some more people on the team folding again.

Also, I got the 980Ti running in Windows 10 and it's producing much much better numbers than my nephews R9 380.
But not as good as some other with similar card so I'm not sure if it's all just on which WU I happen to get handed or if I could better optimize my system with the CPU/GPU for more PPD.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
...Oh wait, that's itsOver9000, zooming past me on the MR charts with a fleet of nearly 20 computers.

I'm impressed with the relatively short time it took for this user to overtake me, especially when the points-to-WU ratio suggest that those are only CPU cores, like mine.

A message to iO9K: Get a good video card in one or two of those to get some GPU work units, and you'll hit Top 50 or higher in no time! And whatever you do, keep folding-- we need the points.

/gets a mouthful of iO9K's dust
//hmmm, tastes like Pixy Stix :D

Haha! I just noticed this thread.
I had a bunch of old computers that were just laying around. I installed Linux Mint and ran them headless 24/7 until they started dying off.

I'm just down to 3 computers now: 2 old MacBooks and an older custom gaming PC. The PC has an AMD Phenom II X4 and 5770 GPU. The MacBooks get around 1,000 points per day each and the PC gets around 7,000 points per day, according to the folding window.

Amazingly one of the MacBooks is the first computer I started folding on. A 2006 era MacBook that's been running 24/7 at full folding power for almost 2 years now (May 1). I recently put a new battery in it and had to replace the backlight inverter board because I leave the screen on all the time. Really surprised it's lasted this long!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Is anyone else having issues getting work units lately?
I can't figure it out and have just been turning my machines off every few days because it will fold fold fold then out of nowhere, server doesn't assign WU's.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Is anyone else having issues getting work units lately?
I can't figure it out and have just been turning my machines off every few days because it will fold fold fold then out of nowhere, server doesn't assign WU's.

yes, i had this problem. looks like things are back to normal now though.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wonder how many points a day the new iMac Pro could bring, especially if you install Windows so you can use the GPUs. I doubt I'll be able to afford an iMac Pro, nor a similarly specced PC so just curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.