Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Also there's lots of great software for the Mac (e.g. Nisus Writer, Devonthink Pro 3, Curio) that doesn't exist for Windows.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Also there's lots of great software for the Mac (e.g. Nisus Writer, Devonthink Pro 3, Curio) that doesn't exist for Windows.
But can't the same be said in reverse? I have no idea, really, because I'm not a Windows person, but it would seem logical.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
Lets see I wanted a Mac for 25 years about 9 years ago I gave up windows and 3 months ago I finally got my Mac a 12" MacBook. so HECK NO! :)

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
My brother used Windows PC until 2010. I always had to be the repairman to fix whatever was wrong with his PC as a Mac person. The bulk of my experience was with XP and that was a mess of an OS. Yes updates and slowdowns back then too. The constant read/writing to the HD, always busy doing something, while doing nothing in particular as a user, was baffling to me. I would have thought things have changed since then. What Windows version have you tried? I simply can't imagine things haven't changed in almost 15 years time.

it was windows 10 professional. the only version I have had that worked somewhat reasonable was windows 7 professional.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Lets see I wanted a Mac for 25 years about 9 years ago I gave up windows and 3 months ago I finally got my Mac a 12" MacBook. so HECK NO! :)
The Macbook 12 inch is a great little computer, one I have used everyday for the past 2.5 years. Unfortunately the last update was June 2017 and now it has been disappointingly discontinued, is that curtains for ultra portable MacBooks? Looks like Apple want us to buy heavier Macbook Airs/Pros or limited iPad Pros.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love the form factor of those smaller Apple computer; at present, I am still using my wonderful and utterly reliable 2015 (CTO) 11" MBA, which is easily the best computer I have ever had, - and which has travelled the world with me - and would have switched to the MB were it not for the now notorious keyboard issues (and the one USC outlet).

These smaller Apple computers were wonderfully portable, exceedingly reliable and sufficiently powerful to be taken anywhere, and I regret that Apple no longer produces them as they met a need which no iPad can.

Reactions: kazmac

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I love my MacBook 12 inch but with it now discontinued and the MacBook Pro/Air too heavy plus the iPad Pro not able to do my most common task (edit my website), I am now considering the Surface Pro X. It seems to tick many boxes for me. Is anyone else having similar thoughts?

Or the slightly pricier VAIO SX12?

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I love the form factor of those smaller Apple computer; at present, I am still using my wonderful and utterly reliable 2015 (CTO) 11" MBA, which is easily the best computer I have ever had, - and which has travelled the world with me - and would have switched to the MB were it not for the now notorious keyboard issues (and the one USC outlet).

These smaller Apple computers were wonderfully portable, exceedingly reliable and sufficiently powerful to be taken anywhere, and I regret that Apple no longer produces them as they met a need which no iPad can.

Love my MacBook12 to bits. My older MBA colours appear too washed out now.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Love my MacBook12 to bits. My older MBA colours appear too washed out now.

For those for whom the MB12 has worked, it has been a terrific device, and I have heard (and read) many very positive reports.

However, until Apple addressed the well known issues with the keyboard, I was not prepared to risk a purchase.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Had 2 MacBook 12 inch (2015 version and 2017) and not one keyboard issue. A little more sponge in the key travel would be good though as they are very loud and firm to type on.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Still, Apple does have a service program https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks so it means a significant amount of people have problem across all the MacBook ranges. I'm happy that there are those who don't have problems. Still, Apple should have really looked into the problem sooner, instead of selling the keyboard for years and years in all the MacBook ranges. That service program will be a headache for them, especially because the keyboard is so hard to get to.

Soon we will see what kind of keyboard has in mind for the next generation.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
What are people's thoughts on new Pixelbook Go? Seems very MacBook 12 esque. Light, minimal design.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
You don't realise how AMAZING a Mac is until you don't have one!

I have the same Mac as you. MY advice, like me, wait until the 2020 13/14" MacBook Pro launches.

Mac is the Ferrari of computers. Would you REALLY want to go Windows???

I was in Cape Town last week and only took my iPhone X & iPad Pro with me and OMG, I realised how INCREDIBLE the Mac is for even basic business tasks - try typing a huge business proposal on a touch screen. It was a nightmare!

On a different note - on a Mac EVERYTHING just works AMAZING. I'm still using EVERY DAY my second Mac which is a 9.5 year old MacBook. I've just updated the hard drive to a SSD as the hard drive failed. I had a LaCie TimeMachine back up. I fitted the new SSD in 10 seconds, plugged in my TimeMachine back up and in less that 3 hours EVERYTHING including Mac OS was installed to perfection. EVERYTHING was in the correct place. EVERYTHING just worked! I'm incredibly impressed with this level of attention to detail.

PLUS my near 10 year old MacBook is a fast as my 2 year old MacBook i5 now for every day use :)

TimeMachine really is well implemented!

For me, it's this level of quality, regular updates and attention to detail which really makes a Mac.

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
I’m going to try out SideCar next with my 11” iPad Pro. Sounds like a cool setup with the 12” 2017 rMP.

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
What are people's thoughts on new Pixelbook Go? Seems very MacBook 12 esque. Light, minimal design.
im heading to best buy today to check one out and i'm 90% sure im buying one.

i have a top of the line mac mini at home, with a really nice display and daskeyboard pro. so i need a laptop for basic tasks when out and about.
Ive had macs for over 20 years, but these days they offer nothing. they are all about being thin and expensive, not glorious things to use. all they care about is profit. not offering the best products, just the products they can make the best profit from.
my MacBook pro 2010 is great and is still going strong but my wife took ownership of that a few years back.
she uses it every day.
i briefly had a 2015 MBP but it got dead pixels in the centre of the display. i tried a 2019 MBP and returned it in less than a week as the keyboard failed. stuck keys etc from day 1, and it was awful to type on.

i was waiting for the rumoured new keyboard MBP, but it looks like next year at the earliest. i can't wait that long.

so for my needs a chromebook looks great, but i want a good keyboard so the pixel book go looks perfect. its expensive for a chromebook but i keep my computers a long time and its less than half the price of a MBP.

i was hoping for a refresh of the MacBook 12 with a better keyboard, but again it looks like we may be waiting a long time if it ever comes.

i love my mac mini, its a powerhouse for my needs as i got the top of the line spec. i hope it will last me 10 years. but if apple don't smarten up it may be my last. same with the iPhone. ive gone back to an SE, i had an XS and hated it. if they don't bring out a compact 4" device it will be my last iPhone too. all i need is calls texts and podcasts. i use a laptop for anything else.

TorontoJen

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
Toronto
That's a tough call. I can see why it would tick necessary boxes, but can you deal with Windows daily? I use Windows when I have to, and if I would try to use a Windows machine daily, I'd just be ripping my hair out. I got a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 for the same reason and I just couldn't deal. It was hot and loud and annoying.
I also prefer finless devices, or at least fans that don't turn on very much. Macs have always for me been mostly silent, fan or not. I guess I don't push them that hard. I'm hanging on to my MacBook for as long as I can, and hoping they release a tiny, 2 lb laptop in the future again. The Air just isn't light enough imo. Ultra portable is fantastic.
[automerge]1574224703[/automerge]

I think the Pixelbook Go looks AMAZING. If I could get away with solely web services and Android apps, I'd totally go for one. The only thing that would hold me back is the screen, perhaps. It's not AS great as the rest of the laptop. But the keyboard is fantastic, the battery life amazing, and it has a quick charge! That thing is light as all get out. I think that is a really solid package. Even the sound is fantastic.

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
[automerge]1574224703[/automerge]

I think the Pixelbook Go looks AMAZING. If I could get away with solely web services and Android apps, I'd totally go for one. The only thing that would hold me back is the screen, perhaps. It's not AS great as the rest of the laptop. But the keyboard is fantastic, the battery life amazing, and it has a quick charge! That thing is light as all get out. I think that is a really solid package. Even the sound is fantastic.
ive had one for a couple weeks now and the screen is just fine. easily as good as the 2019 mbp i had in normal everyday use. in every other way it is much better than any MacBook of recent years.

after 25 years using only apple i think this will be my ticket out unless apple step up soon. when my latest iPhone se dies (got it new this summer) i'll likely not be getting another iPhone either if they don't make a small one. if the palm phone gets an update with better battery i'll get one of those.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
My iPhone SE died after 2 weeks ago. I tried a refurbished iPhone X and it felt like a fashion accessory, not something I want to take out and about imo. Therefore i'm ordering a pixel 4 which is £100 cheaper on Black Friday than even a refurbed 2 year old iPhone X. If I like that then I will also try the Pixelbook go.
ive looked at everything I do on my MacBook (weebly, pages, numbers, keynote, iMovie) and after a bit of research I can do virtually everything with a pixelbook (g suite, wevideo). I make a website for primary computing lessons so I always look for web-based software first anyway and a Chromebook may force me to do that even more.
There will be some elements of Mac I will miss but not enough keep me with it.

Mr.Bigglesworth

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
I wouldn’t jump ship. You have been used to the reliability and dependability of the mac for many years ( assuming you’ve been having it for some time now ) SP-X is a brilliant machine.. but it is a windows ran machine. Anything running windows does not last.

Reactions: adamfozzy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.