Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Is this device a true stand alone VR solution ?

No computer or cell phone hook up needed ?

My understanding is you just fire it up, mark out boundaries, load the software and go. What am I missing here ? a2

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Is this device a true stand alone VR solution ?

No computer or cell phone hook up needed ?

My understanding is you just fire it up, mark out boundaries, load the software and go. What am I missing here ? a2

I think you need a smartphone to install the Oculus app to set it up and manage apps. Besides that no phone needed.

Reactions: a2jack

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I wonder if the OQ has any storage ? Or do you have to use the phone each time you restart a game, or run a new one ?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I wonder if the OQ has any storage ? Or do you have to use the phone each time you restart a game, or run a new one ?

Naw, it comes with 64gb or 128gb storage. You don't need a phone to start playing it at any given moment. It's a complete standalone, just needs a phone for initial setup with the Oculus app.

Reactions: a2jack

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Naw, it comes with 64gb or 128gb storage. You don't need a phone to start playing it at any given moment. It's a complete standalone, just needs a phone for initial setup with the Oculus app.

Very good. This looks like a retentively low cost starting point to get into VR.

I'll be going in to Best Buy for a demo next week. Thanks for the info. a2

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Did the Demo, Beat Saber, not a hint of disorientation or vertigo. Good enough... Bought it...be here Friday. :) Thanks for the input here. a2

Reactions: TheFluffyDuck

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
The other ones are really good. If vertigo is an issue for you Moss would be fantastic as you are third-person and stationary, not first person. It's also very polished and cute. Super hot is a good first-person shooter puzzler, weird combo but it works well. Rec Room is free and a series of games within a game. I would recommend finding some friends to play with in private rooms as it is full of kids and teenagers and that might get on your nerves. The Journey of the Gods gives off some strong Zelda Windwaker vibes, and quite polished, however, if you suffer from vertigo this one might be the hardest on your stomach of the ones mentioned so far. Something to work up to

Quality of life advice, it is front heavy and will strain your neck, but you build muscles over time. I recommend putting a counterweight on the back. For me, a 10,000 mAh battery bank and some rubber bands does the trick :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's amazing. I love my quest. Some serious voodoo black magic going on inside.
I watched a brief video comparing the Occulus Quest to the Rift, and maybe I missed it, but is the Quest completely independent of the PC, just using your phone to control it? Where are the games stored?

How important is game choice to you in a VR environment? I admit, I’m not clear at this point what the limits are when comparing the Quest to the Rift. The video does say if you enjoy PC gaming, get a Rift, so my impression is that you won’t see the same options for games. It also says the Rift is a sharper image, and I’ll say that I am not happy with the resolution on my Rift as compared to my PC, so another notch down would not be a good choice for me.

Yes, the VR experience is amazing, but resolution will be the next big advancement in it. And I do recognize that a wireless headset would be a huge liberating experience.

Last edited:

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
I watched a brief video comparing the Occulus Quest to the Rift, and maybe I missed it, but is the Quest completely independent of the PC, just using your phone to control it? Where are the games stored?

The video does say if you enjoy PC gaming, get a Rift, so my impression is that you won’t see the same options for games. It also says the Rift is a sharper image, and I’ll say that I am not happy with the resolution on my Rift as compared to my PC.

Yes, the VR experience is amazing, but resolution will be the next big advancement in it. And I do recognize is that a wireless headset would be a huge liberating experience.

Everything is run through the headset itself. It doesn't even really use the phone other than making an account. The phone is more of a companion app. The processing hardware and the storage for the games are all on the device itself. It has an amazing resolution, higher than the first commercial rift.
If you have a good computer and 5ghz router, you can use sideloading to put on software that stream games from your PC to your oculus quest. I personally haven't done that as I don't have a good enough computer, but from all reports I have read, it is meant to work surprising well enough to warrant not needing a dedicated "computer" headset.

I have used wired headsets before and it is quite liberating not having to worry where you are in real life. The resolution will get better, the screen door effect on the quest is the least noticeable I have seen so far, although it is still there. We will be at "retina" vr within 5 years I am sure of it.

IF you are thinking of waiting, honestly get this, it blew away by already high expectations.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.