Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
My friend recently got one off Craigslist. iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.5. Just wondering if anyone out there still has something on this version. It can be a device that has iOS 4 as its latest software or something like the iPhone 4, iPad 1/2, etc. which is still running it.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I just downgraded my iPod touch 4G to 4.1 with GeekGrade. Its amazing how simple this version was, but I can't deal with SMS only and alert notifications that require interaction. What I can't figure out is how this OS is so responsive... and I thought iOS 6 was responsive, but this blows it out of the water.

It's still definitely better looking than iOS 7...

Reactions: g-7

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I still have an iPod touch 2G on 4.2.1 (final) and I sold my iPod touch 4G on 4.3.5 a year or two ago after being annoyed by 6.1.x's slowness as I had SHSH blobs for everything 4.1 and up.

I also just bought a 3GS off Swappa for $30 that looked like it still had some version of 4.x installed as it still has the iPod app on the home screen. It'd be awesome if it was all the way on 4.3, but wouldn't surprise me if it was 4.1 as it's still a signed firmware for that device.

Of course I have many modern devices on 10.x and such, but I'm going to try and use this 3GS for a week or so to take a minute and unplug. EG, no social media or unnecessary apps, since most don't work on 4.x anyway.

I'll probably only install FB Messenger as the old simple version of it still works on my iPod touch 2G and I have people message on it all the time instead of SMS/iMessage. iMessage will be missed for a bit but I plan on turning if off a few days beforehand like I do when moving to Android. Or put it onto 6.1.6 if I must, but it's so much slower that way.

4.x was so fluid on it's native devices and even older 3GS/iPod touch 3G, but pretty horrid on the iPhone 3G. It's not half bad on the iPod touch 2G I have however, but it's clocked a bit higher than the 3G was.

Reactions: SuperKerem
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.