Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yup. My 2013 27” iMac is still on Sierra. My favorite software won’t run on newer OS.

Sadly, my 2017 MBA is on High Sierra. Holding off on anything newer. Hopefully 10.15 will fix the blurry text bug that is in Mojave.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Still running Sierra on a 2012 quad Mini, for various reasons, including that it is the last system version that runs Quicktime 7, which I prefer to Quicktime.

But the day is approaching when Sierra will no longer be an option.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
QuickTime 7 runs on Mojave too.
Finally found a few spare minutes to check this in more detail, and you are correct. I got compatible and supported mixed up.

Quicktime 7 is compatible (useable) but not supported in High Sierra and Mojave, and will be completely incompatible from Catalina on.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
OS Sierra is running OK on my MM(Late 2012) 2.5GHz,16GB Ram,500GB HD; so, I am debating with myself if I should upgrade to OS High Sierra or Mojave?? Any comments will be appreciated.

Last edited:

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Any comments will be appreciated.

I did upgrade my 2012 Mac Pro to High Sierra few days ago just because of the Pro Tools and iOS 13 bug... :(

If i didn't use Pro Tools everyday on this Mac i would still be on Sierra.
For the moment being, i can't see any differences between Sierra and High Sierra on this machine (knock on wood).

I have 13" Macbook Pro same as your Mini (2,5 i5, 16GB, 500+500 SSD) and, it's probably just me, but i don't like how it runs on Mojave. It is too much of a hassle for me to export all the photos from library and do a clean Sierra install right now. I'll wait for Catalina and then do a roll back to Sierra if things stay the same.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I've read many reviews and discussions where it was said that High Sierra was an "Unnecessary Stop-Gap Update" on the way to Mojavé. Did an OTT install on a Sierra volume and I tried it and reverted within hours. But did do a clean install on a separate partition. Now if there were mission critical applications that limit themselves to certain OS's, then ya gotta do watcha gotta do . . .

Have Mojavé and Catalina installed on separate partitions on all my machines and play with them when I get bored. But I'm running Sierra as the main OS on everything.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I posted a while ago, since then I DID upgrade my old iMac to Sierra - 10.12.6 (16G2136) *This just got an update a few days ago in fact, first time in a while..security update. All is well with it. I DID have issues backing it up on Time Machine to my old HDD as a precaution, for some reason it just saw and hung there "preparing", never updating. I had to do a copy using a program called "Superduper" - Took a LONG time but it worked.

Sierra installed fine. I dont need High Sierra.

My newer 2017 iMac I picked up in June came with High Sierra, I upgraded to Mojave. As soon as I did that it felt a tad buggy, apps crashed. The CPU rebooted a few times for no reason (I felt "great, brand new'ish iMac for me is a mess!".)

I ran disk utility by rebooting (CMD+R), this found quite a few issues with the volume after the Mojave update. Thankfully this seemed to fix it.

I am cautiously optimistic to update to Catalina on this 2017 iMac...but I will no doubt wait at least 2-3 weeks until I do that. Waiting 2-3 days before IOS issues, I need to wait much longer and see what issues arise when it comes to a new MacOS.

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
Same here. Now that I replaced my failing Mac HD with a SSD (insane amazing difference I wish I did a while ago!) - I finally want to upgrade to Sierra.
[doublepost=1552434867][/doublepost]

Both from the App Store.

El Capitan Installer
https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?ls=1&mt=12

High Sierra installer
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

**(Never mind, I didn't see someone replied :eek::confused: )
I am still on ElCapitan.............

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I am still on ElCapitan.............
I liked El Capitan, my iMac hard drive was showing signs of total failure. (SLOOOOW boot up, mouse stuttering all the time, hearing the drive churn, etc) So the SSD and Sierra works.

It’s end of the life for Sierra, and now with every day it becomes more and more obsolete.

I have only good memories about it. Never had any problem with it.

Nope, no problems with Sierra also, I know its coming to the end of its life. For this Mac I can only do one more update to High Sierra (it can't upgrade to Mojave). MAYBE I'll update to H.S., I'm in no rush though

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
end of life, but its still butter to me.

High Sierra onwards makes the display washed out to my observational eyes on my 2016 nTB. Its like its a bug with that makes the P3 screen not pop as much, comparing the same photos. Can see it washed out as soon as screen changes from login to the desktop.. cant believe this hasn't been addressed.

Just updated my Mojave build from beta to 10.14.2 to then 10.14.6 stable, and still washed out. Yikes.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Yup! Still running it on my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) -- my main work machine as I have been too paranoid to update -- if it works don't fix it ... I run Mojave on my other machines that aren't as important.

uploaded

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
I`m on Sierra and I love it ;-)
Everything is working perfect on my MBP 13 2015. Crystal clear font rendering using Thunderbolt Display, Adobe CS6 works very well, Mail runs as expected. Nothing to complain.

I tried Mojave and found it sluggish.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I`m on Sierra and I love it ;-) MBP 13 2015. I tried Mojave and found it sluggish. Everything is working perfect - at least for me.

Yeah Mojave felt slow to me too a bit, the graphics drivers seem off or something...

granted I was running it off an external SSD, but...

I also really don't like how High Sierra onward nuked the colors of my P3 display, looks visibly washed out and less saturated. Maybe most people don't notice or care, but I do

uploaded

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah Mojave felt slow to me too a bit, the graphics drivers seem off or something...

granted I was running it off an external SSD, but...

I also really don't like how High Sierra onward nuked the colors of my P3 display, looks visibly washed out and less saturated. Maybe most people don't notice or care, but I do
I do care, too. Currently there is no reason for me to update to Mojave ;-) Apparently, it only brings me disadvantages, especially the font problems on the non-retina display, strange top search results in Mail and annoying Catalina update hints that you can hardly turn off.

Reactions: jackoverfull

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Did Apple drop support for Sierra?
I have my reasons to still stick to Sierra but I have not seen any recent security updates. Am I lonley here or are there others? Is it dangerous to keep running Sierra?

Its pretty smooth and everything works from user point of view

Reactions: jackoverfull

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
AFAIK yes, we won’t get security updates anymore. As long as you don’t use safari as your main browser and act responsibly it shouldn’t be much of an issue. And even otherwise it’s unlikely anything bad would happen, but better err on the side of caution.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
It's been almost 13 months since I last posted in this thread.

I am using Sierra on my 2010 iMac, 2008 MBP, and 2008 uMB. I would use it on my 2019 iMac but it's not supported. Mojave with all updates isn't so bad, but my older machines are staying on Sierra (probably forever). Sierra was solid, and I still do use my 2010 iMac for some things and it's never slow or glitchy.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
AFAIK yes, we won’t get security updates anymore. As long as you don’t use safari as your main browser and act responsibly it shouldn’t be much of an issue. And even otherwise it’s unlikely anything bad would happen, but better err on the side of caution.

Haha I generally do. Should be ok , you can still get latest safari right?

Mine says copyright 2019 I think

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I didn’t think so. Mine hasn’t been updated in ages, but I’m sure that’s a bug of the unsupported installation, we actually talked about it up here and reached no solution.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I haven't gotten a security update in months on Sierra. This is on my 2010 iMac, which is fully supported.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I noticed I didn't get any security updates lately. Sierra is only 3 years old, shouldn't OS be supported at least 5 year?

Microsoft supports Windows up to 10 years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.