Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Yeah, I have 8GB in mine. I waited about a year for the right deal. $43 bucks for two 4GB sticks. I don't understand why every Mac with the same chipset used DDR3 but this one. The 2009 iMacs, Mac Mini, and the other MacBook.

I have a love/hate relationship with the MCP79.

Among other things, DDR3 computers tend to not like anything other than PC3-8500. My first Mac with that chipset was a unibody white MacBook(MB 7,1). I bought it around the Sierra developer beta was released, as my MB 5,2 had previously served as my new OS testbed but of course official support was dropped for them with Sierra. It had 2gb and a spinner, and was basically unusable on the first developer Beta. I had 2x2gb of PC3-1066 that came from the factory in my MBP 8,1(mid-2011 13"-my first Mac) and thought it would be a good upgrade for that computer. Unfortunately, I found that it wouldn't boot even with Apple factory supplied DDR3 because the computer didn't want to downclock it. Fortunately, that was before RAM prices went nuts, and I was able to put 8gb of PC3-8500 in it for ~$40.

MCP79 Macs are also known to be picky about SSDs, and not all will run at SATA II speeds. Fortunately, I've had good luck with Samsungs in general. The last one I did was a 500gb Evo 860 in my MBP 6,1(2010 17") and it works fine in SATA II.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I have a love/hate relationship with the MCP79.

Among other things, DDR3 computers tend to not like anything other than PC3-8500. My first Mac with that chipset was a unibody white MacBook(MB 7,1). I bought it around the Sierra developer beta was released, as my MB 5,2 had previously served as my new OS testbed but of course official support was dropped for them with Sierra. It had 2gb and a spinner, and was basically unusable on the first developer Beta. I had 2x2gb of PC3-1066 that came from the factory in my MBP 8,1(mid-2011 13"-my first Mac) and thought it would be a good upgrade for that computer. Unfortunately, I found that it wouldn't boot even with Apple factory supplied DDR3 because the computer didn't want to downclock it. Fortunately, that was before RAM prices went nuts, and I was able to put 8gb of PC3-8500 in it for ~$40.

MCP79 Macs are also known to be picky about SSDs, and not all will run at SATA II speeds. Fortunately, I've had good luck with Samsungs in general. The last one I did was a 500gb Evo 860 in my MBP 6,1(2010 17") and it works fine in SATA II.
IIRC, if the RAM doesn't identify itself as being compatible with PC3-8500, a Mac built to work with PC3-8500 may not boot with it even if the RAM is capable of it or even faster. This was not new even back then. This has been the case for eons with Macs.

That's why you see "Mac-compatible RAM" being sold out there, even from big name brands.

In the old days one way around it with third party RAM was to get the RAM SPD EEPROM reprogrammed to include the appropriate Mac-compatible entry, but it was usually easier just to return the RAM and buy the proper RAM.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
This has been the case for eons with Macs.

That's why you see "Mac-compatible RAM" being sold out there, even from big name brands.

Perhaps I've been lucky, but the MCP79 Macs are the only ones where I've seen it be a big issue.

As an example, 168 pin SDRAM was used in a whole heap of Macs-beige G3s, the B&W G3, slot-loader iMac G3s, G4 towers before the MDD(which switched to DDR), the Cube, and the earlier iMac G4s. Most G3 Powerbooks, iBook G3s, tray-load iMac G3s, Titanium PowerBook G4s, and early iMac G4s used SDRAM SO-DIMMs.

These came in three common speeds-PC-66, PC-100, and PC-133. Only fairly late computers-Digital Audio and Quicksilver G4s and the last generation TiBooks-used PC-133. Old World ROM computers(beige G3s, Wallstreets) specced PC-66. I occasionally buy PC-100 256mb LD modules, but most of the time buy 256mb or 512mb PC-133 low density and whatever I throw it in works without complaint-the only caveat is that 512mb modules read at 256mb in older computers.

I've also used 50 or 60ns RAM in computers that called for 70 or 80ns-you sometimes take what you can get with RAM that old.

Reactions: MagicBoy

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Perhaps I've been lucky, but the MCP79 Macs are the only ones where I've seen it be a big issue.

As an example, 168 pin SDRAM was used in a whole heap of Macs-beige G3s, the B&W G3, slot-loader iMac G3s, G4 towers before the MDD(which switched to DDR), the Cube, and the earlier iMac G4s. Most G3 Powerbooks, iBook G3s, tray-load iMac G3s, Titanium PowerBook G4s, and early iMac G4s used SDRAM SO-DIMMs.

These came in three common speeds-PC-66, PC-100, and PC-133. Only fairly late computers-Digital Audio and Quicksilver G4s and the last generation TiBooks-used PC-133. Old World ROM computers(beige G3s, Wallstreets) specced PC-66. I occasionally buy PC-100 256mb LD modules, but most of the time buy 256mb or 512mb PC-133 low density and whatever I throw it in works without complaint-the only caveat is that 512mb modules read at 256mb in older computers.

I've also used 50 or 60ns RAM in computers that called for 70 or 80ns-you sometimes take what you can get with RAM that old.
You've been lucky. Like I said, it depends on the RAM used, and the SPD information included on that RAM, along with the specific model of Mac. Since you're talking about Macs that old, a lot of PC133 RAM does not work properly in Cubes for example.

Even worse, in one example, off-spec but faster RAM that did work in a specific model of Mac stopped working after a firmware update, because Apple tightened up the spec requirements.

Thus, as a rule of thumb, I ALWAYS tell people to buy properly spec'd RAM for Macs. You're asking for trouble if you use better spec'd but off-spec RAM. BTW, in modern times, this is true even for the 2017 27" iMac. Some off-spec faster RAM just refused to boot, whereas if you bought properly spec'd cheaper RAM, it worked fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with the faster RAM and it would run perfectly fine at the slower speeds, but some third party RAM manufacturers will not include the proper SPD info for slower speeds in that RAM, and in that scenario, sometimes the Mac will not boot properly because of this.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Another thing to note is mine has a bad magnetic latch, it is hard to open it with one hand. If I hold the sides it will pop open on its own.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You've been lucky. Like I said, it depends on the RAM used, and the SPD information included on that RAM, along with the specific model of Mac. Since you're talking about Macs that old, a lot of PC133 RAM does not work properly in Cubes for example.

I guess I've been really lucky considering that I have 5 cubes running for the most part whatever 512mb PC133 sticks were cheap on EBay when I bought them. That's true of a LOT of my G4 towers...512mb PC100 isn't super easy to find, while as best as I can tell there are still makers cranking out PC133 in China...I can usually buy it from there in bulk.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK

Even worse, in one example, off-spec but faster RAM that did work in a specific model of Mac stopped working after a firmware update, because Apple tightened up the spec requirements.

Thus, as a rule of thumb, I ALWAYS tell people to buy properly spec'd RAM for Macs. You're asking for trouble if you use better spec'd but off-spec RAM. BTW, in modern times, this is true even for the 2017 27" iMac. Some off-spec faster RAM just refused to boot, whereas if you bought properly spec'd cheaper RAM, it worked fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with the faster RAM and it would run perfectly fine at the slower speeds, but some third party RAM manufacturers will not include the proper SPD info for slower speeds in that RAM, and in that scenario, sometimes the Mac will not boot properly because of this.

pretty much every mac under the Sun can work with RAM which is rated for faster speeds then what the Mac runs its RAM at.

pretty much all RAM since SDRAM (and even some EDO RAM) use SPD JDEC Timings in that theres a small EEPROM that contains infomation on the RAM stick at hand

and there will be a few settings for the various speeds the RAM sticks support

for example a 1600Mhz RAM stick will also almost always contain information for if a Computer wants to run the RAM at say 1066Mhz and 1333Mhz

so if I install say a 1600Mhz RAM stick into my MacPro5,1 it will simply "go" "Ok I only support up to 1333Mhz RAM let me see what the 1333Mhz SPD table says for this RAM stick"

(hell in the case of the G4 cube it dosent even support any sort of Memory dividers at all, the RAM will always run at 100Mhz synchronous with the 100Mhz CPU bus so 133Mhz RAM will run just fine as the G4 cube will just ignore the 133Mhz SPD Timing table and just run the RAM at 100Mhz regardless)

but the exception is MCP79/MCP89 macs as they are dumb in that, if you install a RAM stick faster then what they are specced for instead of the Mac going "Ok whats the fastest I actually support" and looking for that table in SPD, they just go straight for whatever is the highest speed and they try and run at that speed, which they obviously dont support so you get the 3 Beeps of No Good Banks

sometimes the machine will actually POST at the higher speeds, but can end up being very unstable as you have effectively overclocked the Memory controller, @MagicBoy experienced with his 2009 MCP79 Mac Mini IIRC

(and very rarely you will actually get a machine that willy happily hum along at 1333Mhz, most of these cases have been on the newer MCP89 macs)

Reactions: MagicBoy

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
and there will be a few settings for the various speeds the RAM sticks support

for example a 1600Mhz RAM stick will also almost always contain information for if a Computer wants to run the RAM at say 1066Mhz and 1333Mhz
This is precisely what I was talking about. A lot of third party RAM does NOT include ALL the proper SPD timings for running at slower speeds.

I ran into this exact problem years ago with Corsair RAM for example. I contacted Corsair and they confirmed the SPD timings for slower operation were not included, but if necessary they could reprogram the EEPROM to include those slower timings. The point though was that the timings weren't included by default. Obviously, going through the effort of getting RAM sticks reprogrammed seemed pointless, when I could simply return the RAM and buy something else.

And as mentioned, people have run into the exact same problems trying to buy faster spec'd RAM for 2017 27" iMacs, so yes, compatibility with off-spec name brand RAM is still an issue with models Apple currently sells.

Last edited:

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Most JDEC compliant RAM will contain SPD timings for slower speeds (XMP Memory is another ball game all together)

but even then "a lot of 3rd party RAM" while you only give 1 personal experience that does not sound like "a lot" to me, very much is the exception to the rule here

TLDR: Macs on the most part conform to JDEC standards so all you have to do is make sure the RAM sticks your buying also complies to said JDEC standards, theres no need to pay a premium for "Mac RAM"

(if you want to some RAM extremes hop over to the Mac Pro forum where they just got 256GB of RAM working in the MacPro5,1 :D)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Most JDEC compliant RAM will contain SPD timings for slower speeds (XMP Memory is another ball game all together)

but even then "a lot of 3rd party RAM" while you only give 1 personal experience that does not sound like "a lot" to me, very much is the exception to the rule here

TLDR: Macs on the most part conform to JDEC standards so all you have to do is make sure the RAM sticks your buying also complies to said JDEC standards, theres no need to pay a premium for "Mac RAM"
I agree, there is no need to pay a premium for "Mac RAM". But the point I was making is that the safest route is to buy properly spec'd RAM, not overspec'd RAM, because the chance you'll run into problems is actually higher if you buy overspec'd RAM.

This occurs repeatedly on these forums BTW.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
In all your 18 months experience?

I've been around quite a while, and I'll agree with bunnspecial. Nvidia chipset C2Ds are tetchy, almost everything else is OK except for off-brand RAM that's got funny SPD info.
I guess you missed the posts in the 2017 iMac memory threads.

The fact I’m noticing this in my 18 month history here too ought to tell you this isn’t an isolated occurrence or restricted to old C2D machines.

BTW, while I usually prefer RAM from companies like Crucial and Samsung, I wouldn’t exactly call companies like Corsair “off-brand”.

Last edited:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've never owned an iMac so hardly ever venture in those forums. IME you can't go wrong with Crucial RAM with Macs, and they certify the RAM against the machines.

I've never called and wouldn't call Corsair "off-brand", in fact their RAM is in my gaming rig. Then again it's QVL'd against the motherboard. Corsair don't test against Macs.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Thread hijack... Anyway, after installing a lot of programs this computer is unusable with an HDD.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I am still using late 2008 aluminum unibody MacBook(my first Mac) with Mojave every day for 5-8 hours. I recently replaced thermal paste(I figured after 10 years it is the right time to do it) and it runs even more cooler and quiet. Since I installed Mojave on the 2008 MacBook, I don't really have any use for the mid 2012 MBP except for occasional battery exercise and recently started to rip my large DVD collection with Handbrake. I am happy with the 1280X800 screen as well as it works great with the video files ripped from DVD's in 480p.

Reactions: kaardowiq

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Does anyone know if this model can output sound through mini display port? I'm gonna use an adapter to hook it up with my HDTV and want to know if I'll need speakers

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I tried to use the DVD drive for the first time this morning, but there seems to be something stuck inside. The disc gets stuck on some sort of round piece, almost like a gear, in the right corner. (closest to end of computer/lid) I don't think it's a stuck disc, because it's only in this one corner. Anyone know what could be obstructing this?

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I tried to use the DVD drive for the first time this morning, but there seems to be something stuck inside. The disc gets stuck on some sort of round piece, almost like a gear, in the right corner. (closest to end of computer/lid) I don't think it's a stuck disc, because it's only in this one corner. Anyone know what could be obstructing this?
In my experience, most of the time when you insert a disk in the slot drive it feels like it is pushing against something, but when you slightly adjust its trajectory(up or down) it goes right in.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Time for a new optical drive I guess. People on this forum seem to think that it is the most "prone to failure" part. They must be very cheap now days as people replace even working optical drives with optibays (with HDD or SSD).

P.S. The only problem I ever had with it is that it did not like the Windows XP Pro installation CD and could not import one particular music CD(maybe protection) into iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.