Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uaaerospace2

macrumors member
May 17, 2017
Within the past 3 weeks, I use Apple BuyBack (Phobio) for a 2011 27" iMac and the process was quick and painless with no surprises. Value awarded was value quoted.

Within the past 6 weeks, I used Apple Buy Back on a Series 2 Apple Watch. Again, process was painless with no surprises. Value quoted was value delivered.

Knitfiction

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2018
I just had exactly the same experience. Was quoted $265 and now they've sent a picture saying the housing was damaged and I can get $50 or the computer back. I've asked to speak to a supervisor and have registered a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Atlanta which has a complete file on this company. Total scam. The only way they say I can get my money back is if I send them a photo of my computer when I sent it. Never thought to do that... hindsight!
DON'T DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY....

Hi,
I just had the same experience. I was quoted $215. in store and phobio confirmed that amount and then sent photos that were not taken of my computer. Their offer was $40.

If you kept the photos they emailed to you, would you mind sending them to my email address: linda_lando@yahoo.com.

Does this read or look similar to yours?
Revised Offer Details
Broken Hinge
This device has been adjusted due to the base having physical trauma to the hinge. We've included a photo to illustrate the adjustment.
Bent Housing
The inspected device has physical damage related to the housing. To qualify for the full working value, the housing must be free of cosmetic damage (one or more dents, one or more cracks, severe scratches) and not exhibit any signs of physical trauma/abuse. We've attached a picture to illustrate the reason for grading adjustment.
  • 20133522340_1.jpg
  • 20133522340_2.jpg
[doublepost=1543342876][/doublepost] View attachment 806895 [/QUOTE]
[doublepost=1543681389][/doublepost]Wanted to update. I spent a good deal of time on the phone with an employee, then asked to be referred to a supervisor. In addition, I wrote Phobio support team an email saying that I would report them to the Better Business Bureau of Atlanta (which I did) and to Apple. The BBB already has a number of complaints related to Phobio on their website. The BBB said they had reached out to the company and received no response. Then, I got an email from a "Phobio support manager" ....

"Thank you for sharing your experience with Phobio on the Better Business Bureau.
I have reviewed your trade and I wanted to take a moment to review your trade with you. Although we do not have any indication of transit damage to your device, I am making sure you receive the value of $265 for your computer."

And I received the gift card from Virtual Rewards as promised... you have to print it up and take it to the Apple Store or use in online...

So in sum, I would say report any problems to the BBB... I doubt I would have gotten the original quoted amount if I hadn't done that. Also, in the future, I will check the reviews of a company on the Internet before I use them for another Apple giveback...and am letting a friend who works at Apple know about this entire scenario...

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I had no problem using the Apple Giveback (Phobio). I got the the quoted amount for a working 2011 15" MBP. Fast & easy.

JPH675

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Just used Phobio for the first time. Traded in my base model first-gen Retina MacBook for $400. Just waiting on the gift card now.

Any updates? I just shipped my rMB Saturday in great condition and was offered the same quote.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I used, or tried to use, Phobio for a "Give Back" sale of a Late 2012 iMac I had. They quoted me over $400 for mine, and could not match my serial number to a valid machine type or model. Even an online chat couldn't resolve the issue. The quote and shipping package never showed up - FedEx seems to have lost it. It all seemed a bit sketchy.

I contacted Mac Of All Trades last Sunday. I had a quote for twice as much as Phobio offered. The shipping label was emailed next business day. My iMac was shipped out to them and delivered safely. The payment (not a gift card) is in progress.

So, MOAT was a much better solution compared with Phobio. That's just my experience.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

AustinMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
I'm upset with Phobio as well. I am trying to use Phobio currently as well. At first, it seemed like a quick and easy way to take care of a lightly used Mac. I didn't want the hassle of going through eBay or Craigslist so I went this route. I could have surely gotten more money for it on other routes but in hopes of a quick and convenient process, I thought I'd go this route.

Timing facts: I put my Mac in the mail on November 29th. It is now December 17th and I have yet to get store credit.

I had thought, they would open the package, inspect the Mac to make sure it was in good order and then process a payment in the same day. Not even close. I suspect they are trying to delay payment to sellers like me so that they can find a buyer first and make money on the finance benefits of hanging on to the cash for a few days. Good business model except it leaves everyone waiting and waiting and waiting to get paid.

The email support happens (and I've used it trying to speed the process along) but it doesn't seem to speed things up (and the responses are typically that it takes X "business days" but they don't count business days the way I would expect them to be counted). I was really planning on using the store credit for Christmas gifts but I've given up on that idea. If you are looking for quick and easy way to get payment for an Apple product don't go this route. In retrospect, eBay or Craiglist would have been faster, easier, and more money in my pocket.

JPH675

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Any updates? I just shipped my rMB Saturday in great condition and was offered the same quote.

Had an "as advertised" experience. Received a $400 quote, shipped out the early 2015 MacBook and they received it December 5. Received an email today (12/17) stating the MacBook was received as represented and that $400 was being put back onto my credit card. Happy with the transaction.

Credit card statement actually shows a credit of $426, more than quoted. Very happy.

Last edited:

Linwood

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2019
I join this club today. $300 quoted, $100 offered. Said there was a microscopic crack in my screen that couldn't be seen with the naked eye. B.S. I told them to send it back. Last time I buy from the Apple Store.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I should say in advance that I had absolutely no issues with Phobio and my iMac trade in.

That being said, I wonder what percentage of people who initiate a trade with Phobio, have an issue?

If it is a significant problem, then perhaps Apple should choose another agent. Otherwise some small percentage of adverse experiences is to be expected.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I just used Phobio through Apple Giveback to trade in my 2015 13" MacBook Pro. I was quoted $660, and I received $660 after they inspected it. But I included a power adapter, and I was super careful packing it into the box. I also took a million photos of the computer before I packed it up and the packaging when I dropped it off... just to be safe... but I didn't end up needing them.

The only issue I'd say I had was that this process takes f o r e v e r. 4 days for my package to arrive at Phobio, 4 days for them to get around to inspecting it, and 3 to 4 days to receive the gift card from Apple. I'm waiting for the gift card now... so we'll see when it actually gets here.

Sure, there were some weekend days in there, but still... up to 12 days is a long time to be without a laptop. The only reason I choose the gift card option is that I'll be purchasing a refurbished Mac to replace this one, and Apple won't let you do a straight exchange (where they credit your account once the computer is inspected) with a refurbished purchase.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I just used Phobio through Apple Giveback to trade in my 2015 13" MacBook Pro. I was quoted $660, and I received $660 after they inspected it. But I included a power adapter, and I was super careful packing it into the box. I also took a million photos of the computer before I packed it up and the packaging when I dropped it off... just to be safe... but I didn't end up needing them.

The only issue I'd say I had was that this process takes f o r e v e r. 4 days for my package to arrive at Phobio, 4 days for them to get around to inspecting it, and 3 to 4 days to receive the gift card from Apple. I'm waiting for the gift card now... so we'll see when it actually gets here.

Sure, there were some weekend days in there, but still... up to 12 days is a long time to be without a laptop. The only reason I choose the gift card option is that I'll be purchasing a refurbished Mac to replace this one, and Apple won't let you do a straight exchange (where they credit your account once the computer is inspected) with a refurbished purchase.

IIRC, you don’t get an actual gift card. You get a virtual card, with a link. This can be used at the AS (online or in person). I kept waiting for a card that never arrived, until I followed their redemption instructions (online).

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
IIRC, you don’t get an actual gift card. You get a virtual card, with a link. This can be used at the AS (online or in person). I kept waiting for a card that never arrived, until I followed their redemption instructions (online).

Yeah you're right that it's a virtual gift card that they email out. Phobio's email after they inspected my laptop said they'd email it to me with no more action required on my part.

J Wyman

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
I figured this would be the best place for this question so I'm hoping someone can chime in with advice.

I recently decided to upgrade from a 2015 11" MacBook to a new MacBook Pro 13". In the past I've traded in or sold devices through Gazelle, Swappa, eBay, Craigslist, and even somewhat recently made a sale through the Marketplace forum here.

Even though those transactions went smoothly, this time around I was just looking for quick and convenient trade-in, knowing that I wouldn't get as much of a return had I sold it directly. I originally looked at Gazelle, but then saw that Phobio, through their Apple Renew program would offer a better deal. Based on that alone I chose that option, figuring they were a reliable service based on their partnership with Apple.

So I received the shipping materials from them, restored my MacBook to factory conditions, then dropped off at my local FedEx location. I received an email from them a few days later notifying me they received it and they would commence inspections. What I wasn't prepared for was them notifying me a few days later that the offer had been amended because the device was received as damaged.

The damage described to me wasn't physical in nature, but that when booting up the machine, you see the "folder with a question mark in it" error screen. They claim to have tried to get the operating system to load but with no success. From what I know, this error screen indicates either a corrupt OS installation, a damaged hard drive, or damaged/disconnected cables to the hard drive (someone feel free to correct this info if you understand this better).

I can rule the first problem out since I did the re-install and checked it myself before shipping. The last screen I saw before powering down and boxing up was the welcome screen asking you to "choose your language."

That leads me to believe this is a hardware issue with the drive itself, and the Phobio reps have told me it's a hardware issue. I've asked them repeatedly if there's any possible way that damage could have occurred through shipping since I sent them a working computer and they received a non-working one. The only response I keep getting is that the inspections team has no reason to believe that there was damage caused during shipping. But they will not divulge any additional information on how they came to that conclusion.

My only options according to them are to take their amended offer ($235 down from $440) or have them ship it back to me. I certainly don't want to take their new offer, but I also don't want to get back a damaged computer that I now will be responsible for getting repaired. They're essentially telling me I'm SOL. If they could simply provide a plausible explanation as to how this could have happened, I'd be more than satisfied. However the impression that I get from dealing with their customer service is that I'm lying about having sent them a working computer in the first place. The fact that they won't offer any more detail than their standard boilerplate answers is becoming infuriating.

The money is honestly trivial at this point, but I feel like I'm being screwed here. If it was just some run of the mill trade-in service I might just cut my losses, but this is the company that Apple has chosen to partner with for their trade-in program. I know it's purely anecdotal, but I have a stellar track record with using other services and providing accurate information. To simply be brushed off by this company without a fair explanation feels a bit insulting.

Has anyone else dealt with this company before? Am I out of line? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I had a very similar experience with this company - got a $130 quote on an old MacBook undamaged, sent it in, got an e-mail reducing the offer to $20 since the back hinge was now smashed (with photo). I accepted the offer rather than dealing with an old and now damaged computer, but filed a complaint with the BBB about my experience. I was in good company - there are MANY other similar complaints. They forwarded my complaint to Phobio, who quickly responded to sayi that the package was not damaged on arrival and that they had not caused the damage, but would send me an additional gift card for $110 to restore the $130 offer. Perhaps the BBB is a more effective way to seek resolution. It looked on their site as if many other reduced payment cases had been properly corrected.

natskane

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2019
Same thing is happening with the iPhone 6 I traded-in. Was in perfect condition prior, and now they are claiming it has a cracked camera lens.

I have photos taken with the phone prior that can prove no cracked lens when I sent it in, but unsure whether it is worth dealing with unhelpful customer service just to possibly get part of the $150 trade-in value. Also not sure who assumes responsibility if the phone actually was damaged during shipping (I packaged it per instructions).

Anywho.. I just wonder how often this is happening to people's devices .. feels like it's pretty easy for them to just state devices have been damaged and offer less trade-in value than originally promised..

I figured this would be the best place for this question so I'm hoping someone can chime in with advice.

I recently decided to upgrade from a 2015 11" MacBook to a new MacBook Pro 13". In the past I've traded in or sold devices through Gazelle, Swappa, eBay, Craigslist, and even somewhat recently made a sale through the Marketplace forum here.

Even though those transactions went smoothly, this time around I was just looking for quick and convenient trade-in, knowing that I wouldn't get as much of a return had I sold it directly. I originally looked at Gazelle, but then saw that Phobio, through their Apple Renew program would offer a better deal. Based on that alone I chose that option, figuring they were a reliable service based on their partnership with Apple.

So I received the shipping materials from them, restored my MacBook to factory conditions, then dropped off at my local FedEx location. I received an email from them a few days later notifying me they received it and they would commence inspections. What I wasn't prepared for was them notifying me a few days later that the offer had been amended because the device was received as damaged.

The damage described to me wasn't physical in nature, but that when booting up the machine, you see the "folder with a question mark in it" error screen. They claim to have tried to get the operating system to load but with no success. From what I know, this error screen indicates either a corrupt OS installation, a damaged hard drive, or damaged/disconnected cables to the hard drive (someone feel free to correct this info if you understand this better).

I can rule the first problem out since I did the re-install and checked it myself before shipping. The last screen I saw before powering down and boxing up was the welcome screen asking you to "choose your language."

That leads me to believe this is a hardware issue with the drive itself, and the Phobio reps have told me it's a hardware issue. I've asked them repeatedly if there's any possible way that damage could have occurred through shipping since I sent them a working computer and they received a non-working one. The only response I keep getting is that the inspections team has no reason to believe that there was damage caused during shipping. But they will not divulge any additional information on how they came to that conclusion.

My only options according to them are to take their amended offer ($235 down from $440) or have them ship it back to me. I certainly don't want to take their new offer, but I also don't want to get back a damaged computer that I now will be responsible for getting repaired. They're essentially telling me I'm SOL. If they could simply provide a plausible explanation as to how this could have happened, I'd be more than satisfied. However the impression that I get from dealing with their customer service is that I'm lying about having sent them a working computer in the first place. The fact that they won't offer any more detail than their standard boilerplate answers is becoming infuriating.

The money is honestly trivial at this point, but I feel like I'm being screwed here. If it was just some run of the mill trade-in service I might just cut my losses, but this is the company that Apple has chosen to partner with for their trade-in program. I know it's purely anecdotal, but I have a stellar track record with using other services and providing accurate information. To simply be brushed off by this company without a fair explanation feels a bit insulting.

Has anyone else dealt with this company before? Am I out of line? Does anyone have any suggestions?

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
If it is a significant problem, then perhaps Apple should choose another agent. Otherwise some small percentage of adverse experiences is to be expected.

Is Apple even a partner with Phobio anymore? I was curious after getting an alert about this thread and Apple Giveback through Apple.com seems to indicate a partnership with a company named Brightstar. Though Phobio still has an Apple Giveback page on their own site.

I had a very similar experience with this company - got a $130 quote on an old MacBook undamaged, sent it in, got an e-mail reducing the offer to $20 since the back hinge was now smashed (with photo). I accepted the offer rather than dealing with an old and now damaged computer, but filed a complaint with the BBB about my experience. I was in good company - there are MANY other similar complaints. They forwarded my complaint to Phobio, who quickly responded to sayi that the package was not damaged on arrival and that they had not caused the damage, but would send me an additional gift card for $110 to restore the $130 offer. Perhaps the BBB is a more effective way to seek resolution. It looked on their site as if many other reduced payment cases had been properly corrected.

Yeah, knowing what I went through and after reading a bunch of complaints something definitely seems off with some of their practices. But then again, I read a lot of the successful transactions and second guess that feeling.

Just sold an iPad on Swappa recently. It's basically just them or Craigslist I turn to anymore.

Dakko

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
Is Apple even a partner with Phobio anymore? I was curious after getting an alert about this thread and Apple Giveback through Apple.com seems to indicate a partnership with a company named Brightstar. Though Phobio still has an Apple Giveback page on their own site.

Yeah, knowing what I went through and after reading a bunch of complaints something definitely seems off with some of their practices. But then again, I read a lot of the successful transactions and second guess that feeling.

Just sold an iPad on Swappa recently. It's basically just them or Craigslist I turn to anymore.
FWIW, I have had great experiences with Mac of all Trades as well as IGOTOFFER. As for the latter, I recently sent in a 2015 iMac and labeled it as “flawless”. I was pleasantly surprised that within 24 hours they agreed with my assessment. Also, IGOTOFFER has very good reviews on the reseller ratings site.

Azelgato

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2019
Phobio is a partner with Apple for iPhone trade-ins. I traded in two phones by mail, 6plus/6Splus, promised $200 and $250 as trade in values. The trade in values were verified by Apple. I was shorted on both refunds so far. I contacted Apple support and they say I was issued refunds. In both cases Apple says refunds were issued in amounts that exceeded the trade in values. Apple is looking into it. Next time I’ll trade in my phone at an Apple store and not by mail.

cbooty9001

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2019
Calgary,AB
I can't believe Apple is associating themselves with this outfit. I sent in my laptop and was quoted $449 but when I sent it in, it was revised down to $90 due to "dead pixels" and "dents". It was a 2012 MBP and had minor scratches due to the year, but an 80% reduction in value is crazy. Spoke to Apple and Phobio and just got the run around.
[doublepost=1550354001][/doublepost]...further to the last post, after 2 hours on the phone with Apple through 3 levels of support, they finally offered a credit for the laptop I purchased, which was fair. In the end Apple was frustrating but decent and Phobio not so much.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Very typical for merchants of used goods, who will try every trick in the book to reduce their cost basis. They’re just bluffing ofcourse, but this is how they take advantage on unsuspecting consumers that are already in a weak bargaining position since they sent their laptop out.
Just tell them you won’t have any of their shady practices and this is not how YOU do business. advice them in a sarcastically friendly matter to send your laptop back and then just casually mention that if they don’t respond within 14 days they can expect a repossesion agency on their doorsteps. It helps if you’re already in talks with a repo agency ofcourse. A lot of them (the “no pay no cure” ones) are suited for exactly these kinds of cases.

I hope you learn from this.

sunman42

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Maryland, USA
The only reason I choose the gift card option is that I'll be purchasing a refurbished Mac to replace this one, and Apple won't let you do a straight exchange (where they credit your account once the computer is inspected) with a refurbished purchase.

This has changed: "[W]e’ll either refund the purchase method you used to buy a new Apple device or we’ll send you an Apple Store Gift Card via email." The choice is upon too the consumer

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
This has changed: "[W]e’ll either refund the purchase method you used to buy a new Apple device or we’ll send you an Apple Store Gift Card via email." The choice is upon too the consumer

That's good to hear. That definitely was not an option for purchases of refurbished devices when I traded mine in.

jhoward4451

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2019
I can't believe Apple is associating themselves with this outfit. I sent in my laptop and was quoted $449 but when I sent it in, it was revised down to $90 due to "dead pixels" and "dents". It was a 2012 MBP and had minor scratches due to the year, but an 80% reduction in value is crazy. Spoke to Apple and Phobio and just got the run around.
[doublepost=1550354001][/doublepost]...further to the last post, after 2 hours on the phone with Apple through 3 levels of support, they finally offered a credit for the laptop I purchased, which was fair. In the end Apple was frustrating but decent and Phobio not so much.
[doublepost=1553590925][/doublepost]I am LIVID...I sent in my 2016 macbook pro 13" with a trade-in promise of $1,001. It had several upgrades and NOTHING was wrong with it. I just got a notice that I had a "bent housing"??? NOTHING was bent and nothing was wrong with it. They downgraded the trade-in amount to $352.00!!!!! The upgrades I purchased were more than that for crying out loud. What do I do?
[doublepost=1553591061][/doublepost]
Phobio is a partner with Apple for iPhone trade-ins. I traded in two phones by mail, 6plus/6Splus, promised $200 and $250 as trade in values. The trade in values were verified by Apple. I was shorted on both refunds so far. I contacted Apple support and they say I was issued refunds. In both cases Apple says refunds were issued in amounts that exceeded the trade in values. Apple is looking into it. Next time I’ll trade in my phone at an Apple store and not by mail.
[doublepost=1553591376][/doublepost]Who did you complain to? I was totally gypped out of money from PHOBIO. Sent in my macbook pro and was quoted a trade-in value of $1,001 and they offered me only $352 AFTER I sent it to them. The said I had a bent housing. That is a total lie, and I was taken for a ride and that is NOT RIGHT!!!! What can I do about it now. I had no choice but to accept, but that leaves me with a $650 loss.(or thereabouts) . Can someone please advise. I trusted Apple to be fair and this is NOT being fair. PHOBIO was not being honest and it is NOT right!!!

Websmeadow

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018

[doublepost=1553957047][/doublepost]I had a similar issue with Phobio. They told me the screen flickered and there were pixels missing so they offered me a token price instead of the advertised price. I know I sent them a good computer so had them send back to me. Then went to BBB and logged a complaint. In working with a service representative, I sent her video showing there was no flicker and a very slight pixel issue in the corner that you could barely see with a white screen. She sent me another box to mail back and paid me the full amount. I had to jump through hoops, but got the advertised price for my iMac.

Skilowe

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2019
Yep, they are either super inept or shady! After buying a new MacBook Pro I Sent my 10 year old mac book pro in for recycling. They offered me $40. It wasn't worth my time considering I took it down to apple to have it wiped and the latest os (for that computer) installed. I did it because Apple states it is environmentally friendly to dispose of your computer this way, reusing parts or whatever they do.

Just like numerous reports to the BBB, my computer supposedly arrived "damaged". The MacBook did not have a scratch on it when I shipped it. It was always kept in a case, and had only been used a few times in the last 5 years. The Rep at Apple even commented that it looked new. The computer was sent back to me finally and it had damage in the same area as so many other "damaged" computers. Wow, what a coincidence that they are all damaged in shipping in the same area.

Don't waste your time with Phobio.
[doublepost=1556403854][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1553957047][/doublepost]I had a similar issue with Phobio. They told me the screen flickered and there were pixels missing so they offered me a token price instead of the advertised price. I know I sent them a good computer so had them send back to me. Then went to BBB and logged a complaint. In working with a service representative, I sent her video showing there was no flicker and a very slight pixel issue in the corner that you could barely see with a white screen. She sent me another box to mail back and paid me the full amount. I had to jump through hoops, but got the advertised price for my iMac.

Good for you! Too bad you had to spend your valuable time proving they are liars and forcing them to do what is right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.