Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayBobD

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2019
Yep, they are either super inept or shady! After buying a new MacBook Pro I Sent my 10 year old mac book pro in for recycling. They offered me $40. It wasn't worth my time considering I took it down to apple to have it wiped and the latest os (for that computer) installed. I did it because Apple states it is environmentally friendly to dispose of your computer this way, reusing parts or whatever they do.

Just like numerous reports to the BBB, my computer supposedly arrived "damaged". The MacBook did not have a scratch on it when I shipped it. It was always kept in a case, and had only been used a few times in the last 5 years. The Rep at Apple even commented that it looked new. The computer was sent back to me finally and it had damage in the same area as so many other "damaged" computers. Wow, what a coincidence that they are all damaged in shipping in the same area.

Don't waste your time with Phobio.
[doublepost=1556403854][/doublepost]

Good for you! Too bad you had to spend your valuable time proving they are liars and forcing them to do what is right.
I purchased a new Macbook Air and sent in my mid-2011 Macbook Air (1.7GHz Intel Core i5) as a trade-in. The Macbook air is old and has some dirt and minor cosmetic issues but the laptop and display were functioning perfectly. Apple initially estimated the trade-in value to be $135. Not great, but I'll take it.

After sending in the device I get an email stating that they've revised the trade-in value to $35 due to "Display not functioning properly (Lines, Flicker, Pixel Damage)." I could accept the new refund value or cancel the trade-in and have my device sent back to me. The device was working when I sent it to them so I cancelled the order.

Upon receiving the laptop back, I fired it up and the display was still functioning properly. I contacted Phobio and they again stated the reason and provided a photo of the display problem.

This was the picture they sent. The Red Arrow apparently points to whatever the problem is.
b17fc4a7-32c2-44d9-8ac4-e53975133be6

This feels very much like a bait and switch by Phobio. Use the refund amount suggested by Apple, people send in their device, then invent a reason to reduce the trade-in refund. Now that you have their device a lot of people will probably accept the reduced value.

They are super shady. I wouldn't recommend using Apple Trade-In.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

AtlantaTransplant2017

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2019
I have to share my poor experience with Apple Trade-in and Phobio. I wish I had read the reviews before doing the Trade-in. I read the reviews when the company didn’t show the receipt of my iPad 3 days after it had been delivered by FedEx. What I found were a lot of experiences like mine, and I hope that sharing will help to bring about some change from Apple - or at least save someone doing research make an informed decision...

I received a trade-in quote from Apple’s website. The quote was low (<$200), but I thought I would be getting worry-free, high quality service from Apple. The reality was anything but that.

It took about a week to receive a box from Apple’s trade-in partner Phobio. Instead of traditional packing material, I had to flip a piece of cardboard at the bottom of of the box to serve as a platform to hold the iPad against the top of the box that had a piece of plastic film (think Saran Wrap, but slightly thicker) to hold the iPad in place. At the time, I thought it looked flimsy, but I am not a shipping expert. If Apple’s hand-selected trade-in partner found this to be their preferred method of shipment, they must know better than I do. The shipping instructions directed me to put my card and charger into a compartment in the front of the box. I sealed it up and handed it off to a FedEx shipping partner.

I used the tracking number to make sure that the package was picked up and delivered on schedule. After about two days of seeing “delivered” status on FedEx’s site and an in-transit status on Phobio’s site, I got a sinking feeling that this was not going to be a high-quality, worry-free customer experience.

After being scanned in as received on the third day after delivery, it was two more days before I received email notification that my trade in value had been changed after inspection. The value was updated to $0, with a fuzzy photo and an explanation of:

“Based on inspection, the trade-in value of $180.00 was updated to $0.00 due to the following:

Your trade quote has been revised due to LCD damage. This includes dead pixels, bruising/burn in, no response on digitizer or any other damage that could be related to the LCD.”

My iPad screen seemed fine to me when I sent it in, the justification was not descriptive, and the blurry photo was equally unhelpful. I did not accept the revised $0 offer for my iPad, which kicked off its shipment back to me.

I opened the box and turned on the iPad to see if I could detect anything wrong with the screen. There is an obvious bright line on one side of the screen. This was not the condition of the iPad when it was shipped to Phobio. In addition, the cord and charger that were sent with the iPad - per instructions - were not returned.

I emailed Phobio customer service to provide my feedback on the poor experience and request my cord and charger be returned. The response was that they didn’t break my iPad and the box had been inspected for damage before inspecting the device. And, no I couldn’t have the accessories back as they’d been recycled.

I cannot say what happened to my iPad. I can just say honestly that when I packed my iPad for shipment, it had no noticeable defects. I can also say that I am not able to see any noticeable defects in the photograph that Phobio provided with their revised $0 offer. I will say that the screen had a noticeable defect when it was returned and that Phobio’s chosen packing materials seem like they might provide inadequate padding during shipment. I can also say that the delays in their processing the trade-in and their generally poor customer service would make me not want to do business with them again.

The experience of being offered $180 in store credit and the $0 will make me never do business with Phobio again.

Receiving an iPad that is not in the same condition as it was sent will make me never opt for a mail-in business model again - for electronics or anything else.

Attachments

• 1A450136-4F8C-4DE3-B395-7DC81D3A1D75.png
    1A450136-4F8C-4DE3-B395-7DC81D3A1D75.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 830

TuckerSchnoodle

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
[doublepost=1543342876][/doublepost] View attachment 806895
[doublepost=1543681389][/doublepost]Wanted to update. I spent a good deal of time on the phone with an employee, then asked to be referred to a supervisor. In addition, I wrote Phobio support team an email saying that I would report them to the Better Business Bureau of Atlanta (which I did) and to Apple. The BBB already has a number of complaints related to Phobio on their website. The BBB said they had reached out to the company and received no response. Then, I got an email from a "Phobio support manager" ....

"Thank you for sharing your experience with Phobio on the Better Business Bureau.
I have reviewed your trade and I wanted to take a moment to review your trade with you. Although we do not have any indication of transit damage to your device, I am making sure you receive the value of $265 for your computer."

And I received the gift card from Virtual Rewards as promised... you have to print it up and take it to the Apple Store or use in online...

So in sum, I would say report any problems to the BBB... I doubt I would have gotten the original quoted amount if I hadn't done that. Also, in the future, I will check the reviews of a company on the Internet before I use them for another Apple giveback...and am letting a friend who works at Apple know about this entire scenario...
[/QUOTE]

TuckerSchnoodle

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
I had the same experience: original estimate for my late 2011 MacBook Pro reduced from $120 to $30. Reason was damage to housing. That damage was not there when I shipped it. The staff at the Genius Bar at Apple thoroughly inspected the laptop in my presence before accepting it for data transfer. After the data transfer I put it in the Phobio box (it was an extremely tight fit), took it to a FedEx shipping location and handed it to the attendant. The Phobio customer service rep dismissed that it was not damaged when put in the shipping box. He denied the damage happened after it was shipped since the inspector did not note that any damage to the box or occuring while in his or her care. I expect there is a performance rating impact for accidents to merchandise affecting the company's ability to resell it, so it's not surprising to me there are no notes of damage occurring at the inspection site. Basic stance was they couldn't resell it, so they weren't honoring the estimate, regardless of where the damage occurred. I did not accept the reduced offer. I requested they ship it back and will donate it or keep it as a backup. Only thing wrong with it was that the battery needed to be replaced soon.

Jak Ratiwanich

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2019
I had a pretty bad experience myself with these guys. My laptop has been pretty well taken care of and it stays inside a hard plastic case cover all the time. I sent in my 2015 Macbook pro and they reduced the estimate from $680 to $240 due to a smudge on the screen. So I asked them to send it back. When I received my laptop, I found a long brand new cut on top of my Macbook pro from poor packaging. Now I'm out of luck trying to even sell it with this cut on. Trying to claim with the support but no reply so far. Hope Apple listen to this thread and stop partnering with Phobio. This is BS.

IMG_2427.jpg

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Glad I saw this thread, because I had an Apple Series 3 watch I was about to trade in on Apple's web site, after buying a new Series 5. They even mailed me the box to return it in. But I checked with a competing service after reading about all these Phobio issues, and was offered $10 more elsewhere.

betweenupdates

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
This is not OK. I was quoted $640 for a MacBook Pro. I mailed it in.

After mailing it and I had to repeatedly check their website for updates. They don’t actually send you a email to tell you that they have received your computer. So tonight finally I logged in and lo and behold they have received my computer but have decided that because of some tiny marks on the screen the quote is no longer $640 but is now wait for it $230.

They had posted a poorly taken photo that was taken in an extremely bright and backlit lighting with a horrible camera, in a really messed up looking office building that was almost scary to see. What’s also very concerning is that as soon as I declined the offer the weird photo that they had of my computer disappeared from their website.

I declined the updated low ball offer and I’m now waiting for my laptop back. I can update once I receive the laptop. Luckily I kept videos and photos of the condition of the computer before I mailed it in. I say that because I have read some of the reviews here that say they received their computer back with damages. Crossing fingers that I can just get back to where I started from before this whole mess started.

This company “Phobio” is giving Apple a bad name and should be immediately boycotted by Apple and its customers.

virgo29

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
I also just had a terrible experience with a MacBook Pro trade-in. I was quoted $500 for it and just got a notification from them that the screen was dirty so they’ll only give me $170. What a scam! There was nothing wrong with the computer or the screen. Apple needs to cut ties with this company but they clearly don’t care since this has been going on for years.

MacER04

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
MacRumors reader for at least 10 (maybe 15) years. Created forum account just to share another bad Phobio experience. "Trading in"/selling 2015 MacBook Pro:
  • 12/13/19: Quoted $580 based on providing accurate description of device exactly as requested. Higher than other services. Aware of cautionary tales about Phobio, figured I'd give it a try anyway. More money for holiday presents anyhow, right?
  • 12/17: Finally received shipping "kit"/box. Packed up the computer according to the provided instructions right away.
  • 12/18: FedEx store actually refused to ship the package, citing it was clearly insecurely packed and shifting around. I took it home, added a bunch of padding to secure it, and shipped it later.
  • 12/23: Delivered, per FedEx.
  • 12/28: Received, per Phobio.
  • 1/4: Received insulting revised offer of $210, due to "damage related to the display. To qualify for the full quoted value, the display must be free of any cosmetic damages or defects (cracks, delamination, etc.), free of any functional damage (lines in display, flicker, lighting issues, dead pixels), and not exhibit any signs of damage." Like many stories above, this was accompanied by an uninterpretable explanatory photo.
Refused their offer and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll receive the computer back without them incurring any damage to it along the way. Not holding my breath.

wazowski9

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
A similar tale here.

I was looking to trade in my old macbook pro. Upon receiving the device my quote was reduced by more than $200 with a picture, very similar to a previous post (see below), with an arrow pointing to an area on the screen highlighting some damage.

1_1.jpg

Difficult to see, but there’s something there. (It could also be a smudge.)

Fair enough.

Until you consider that there is no evidence or proof presented that it was in fact my device, or even a MacBook Pro! If a jeweler took your diamond ring out back and switched the diamond you quite rightly question what they've been up to.

For all I and other customers know, 100s of pictures have been taken of the same screen "damage" on some device from slightly different angles and are being sent out to users.

Apple is currently running campaigns focused on safety, security, and transparency. It is therefore hard to understand why their trusted trade-in partner applies potentially shady practices to swindle would-be customers out of money.

I have requested Phobio send me a photo showing the device's serial number and same highlight area of the screen in the same photo to verify it is indeed my device. It is clearly fully within their capabilities to do so. I am ready to accept should it be proved so. Otherwise I will be requesting my device returned and cross my fingers it comes back in the condition in which it was sent.

As of this post, I find phobio to be a company of charlatans scamming customers out of money. The current faulty practice means I would advise any other users to consider trading in or selling their Apple products elsewhere.

buckeye77

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
This is not OK. I was quoted $640 for a MacBook Pro. I mailed it in.

After mailing it and I had to repeatedly check their website for updates. They don’t actually send you a email to tell you that they have received your computer. So tonight finally I logged in and lo and behold they have received my computer but have decided that because of some tiny marks on the screen the quote is no longer $640 but is now wait for it $230.

They had posted a poorly taken photo that was taken in an extremely bright and backlit lighting with a horrible camera, in a really messed up looking office building that was almost scary to see. What’s also very concerning is that as soon as I declined the offer the weird photo that they had of my computer disappeared from their website.

I declined the updated low ball offer and I’m now waiting for my laptop back. I can update once I receive the laptop. Luckily I kept videos and photos of the condition of the computer before I mailed it in. I say that because I have read some of the reviews here that say they received their computer back with damages. Crossing fingers that I can just get back to where I started from before this whole mess started.

This company “Phobio” is giving Apple a bad name and should be immediately boycotted by Apple and its customers.

I am having the experience right now! I was quoted $350 and just got their revision to $120 for a "bad" display. Their email comments and picture are below. I had been using this laptop for close to 4 years and never saw any type of display damage!

Revised Offer Details
Delaminating or Worn Display CoatingYour trade quote has been revised due to damage related to the display. To qualify for the full quoted value, the display must be free of any cosmetic damages or defects (cracks, delamination, etc.), free of any functional damage (lines in display, flicker, lighting issues, dead pixels), and not exhibit any signs of damage.
  • 20247594870_1.jpg

Isleofgough

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
I used phobio for a 2017 iMac trade in. They sent me a packaging box and fedex return label and I gave it fedex within two hours of receiving the packaging box. Their web site claimed I had not shipped them the iMac, and I got several warning emails about how the offer would expire. I even got these emails after they had received the iMac, and it took a call to them, giving the tracking number they generated to prove to them that they had received it. The iMac passed inspection and they notified me that I would receive an e-gift card within 3-5 business days. When that didn't happen, I emailed them and called them and got no response. I emailed the rewards center who informed me that phobio was having a processing problem on their end. It looks like I should get the e-card about six weeks after starting the process. Dealing with phobio even when the inspection goes ok is quite the headache.

buckeye77

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
I had a poor interaction with them. Here's a copy of a response I sent to an email they sent me:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received an email today from Phobio Support with the subject line: Final notice to review your revised Apple Trade In offer.

Please check/update your records as I had previously replied asking you to return the MacBook Air.

On January 24th, you notified me it had been shipped…

…and I received it today!

This is just another indicator that I will never use your service again. I was not happy with the process which ‘revised" my trade-in quote. Despite the “cosmetic” damage, there is not any “functional damage” to the display - when turned on, it looks fine with no noticeable lines at all. It is totally usable. In my opinion (and other reviewers online), you just use the “cosmetic” damage as a way to minimize the trade-in value…bait and switch.

And now, I get an email telling me I have 14 days to make a decision or you will return the product to me…and you already shipped it and I received it! Just poor overall service in my opinion and I will be providing that feedback to Apple and various Apple forums.

Attachments

• 1580428900700.png
    1580428900700.png
    205 KB · Views: 874
Reactions: Ricoreed

mclcooper

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2020
I read a number of notes from others. My experience has been the same. It seems to be simply a part of how they do business. They reduce my BP estimate, for which they had age, model, serial number, etc, from $350 to $120. On eBay, similar MBPs list from ~ $450 to $800. There's just a much higher margin when you sell something that costs $120 vs $350. I would suggest, as others have, to file a BBB complaint, and tell it is reflecting back on them for choosing a company that scams its "customers".

Reactions: Ricoreed

Ricoreed

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2020
Phobia did the same thing to me with three of the four devices I sent in. With one being an iPad, i brought it to the Apple store and they immediately gave me $40 for a device I was told had a bad pixel (Apple store said the device was fine).
i will NEVER USE THEM AGAIN! HUGE RIPOFF!
PLEASE TELL OTHERS. IM SO DIGUSTED!
AND PISSED!!
[automerge]1581616575[/automerge]
I just had exactly the same experience. Was quoted $265 and now they've sent a picture saying the housing was damaged and I can get $50 or the computer back. I've asked to speak to a supervisor and have registered a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Atlanta which has a complete file on this company. Total scam. The only way they say I can get my money back is if I send them a photo of my computer when I sent it. Never thought to do that... hindsight!
DON'T DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY....

Hi,
I just had the same experience. I was quoted $215. in store and phobio confirmed that amount and then sent photos that were not taken of my computer. Their offer was $40.

If you kept the photos they emailed to you, would you mind sending them to my email address: linda_lando@yahoo.com.

Does this read or look similar to yours?
Revised Offer Details
Broken Hinge
This device has been adjusted due to the base having physical trauma to the hinge. We've included a photo to illustrate the adjustment.
Bent Housing
The inspected device has physical damage related to the housing. To qualify for the full working value, the housing must be free of cosmetic damage (one or more dents, one or more cracks, severe scratches) and not exhibit any signs of physical trauma/abuse. We've attached a picture to illustrate the reason for grading adjustment.
  • 20133522340_1.jpg
  • 20133522340_2.jpg
[doublepost=1543342876][/doublepost] View attachment 806895
[/QUOTE]
Totally agre! Phobia sucks! Don’t use them!

Unhappy 123

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2020
we have been dealing with a similar issue with Phobio. We filed BBB complaints on Apple and on Phobio. Apple was useless despite talking to someone who claimed they would help. Phobio and Apple are clearly involved in some sort of “bait and switch” scheme. We sent them a 21” iMac in perfect shape and they reduce our trade in value from $470 to $110 because of pixel damage. None of the photos we had to fight tooth and nail for show any evidence that it actually is our iMac. It’s some blurry image. Very disappointed in Apple.

pfohle

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2020
Do not use phobio. they refuse to return the second power cord that was included in the package i sent them ; small deal but it shows a lack of integrity. Actual price offered was far below initial quote so I had them return the MacBook pro; i re-installed the software needed and it works just fine.

Greg_82

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2020
They’re total scam artists! Quoted for $560, offered $200 because of scratches on the screen. I rejected the offer of course, and received my laptop with a chipped screen on the corner. After another 3 weeks of dealing with Apple support and Phobio support, they refused to take any responsibility and closed the case. Apple said in the past 7 years they have received -0- complaints!! Either Apple is lying, or they’re in bed with Phobio to steal our hard earned money even further.

This was a dual GPU MacBook Pro 15”!! Please spread the message so other people won’t be victimized.

Edit:
I would suggest everyone reading this and have a similar experience to write a review on TrustPilot for Phobio dot com. It will automatically picked by Google and indexed very highly, so anyone searching for Phobio can see these reviews and hopefully avoid some loss.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Phobio is THE WORST.

Sent in a very mint iPhone SE. The Apple site doesn't let you designate GB or carrier, mine is a 32GB unlocked model.

Trade in was revised from $30 to $0.00. After "inspection" they found the model didn't match (pre-loaded model designator on Phobio was 16GB, I sent 32GB) and "could not ensure secure erasure of your device" WTF.

I called them, and the rep said issue #1 was "known", and issue #2 was because their wiping software couldn't not guarantee that all my data could be erased. WTF? I told them it was erased, and Find My iPhone was turned off. They didn't seem to dispute that, and before the conversation could go any further, their line was dropped or hung up on me. :mad:

I'm not bothering calling them back and I requested they return the device to me. Such a sham. I've traded in an iPhone in-person at the Apple store and had zero issues. Normally I sell on Swappa, but for this little amount of money, I was just hoping for a hassle-free experience. Phobio has wasted my time and either are dishonest, or don't know what the hell they're doing.

Keith RF

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
Washington
I just experienced almost identical issue with Phobio. I traded in a 2 year old WiFi only, iPad Pro. 32GB. Returned it to Phobio in their box and packaging. The unit was cherry, not a scratch or blemish on it. I received this lovely email from them yesterday stating that the trade in value had changed from $180 to $0. By the time my wife unscrewed me from the ceiling I had responded with a scathing note back to them. I researched this issue and found this forum, thank you. I thought they had singled me out. I'm going to file a complaint with the Washington state attorney general's office. There is a pattern here. Also it could constitute and interstate commerce issue. I'm not letting this one go. Now it's not the money it's the principle.

Brian Weinreich

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2020
Just happened to me as well.

Sent in a 2015 Macbook Pro in good condition. Quoted at $510, revised to $180 "due to the screen not turning on."

Everything was fine when I sent it in. Now they are returning the Macbook to me, and I'm excited to either see a broken screen, or that they were trying to scam me.

I hope others see this thread before doing business with them.

Eldiano

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
I used to work for a wireless carrier and they used Asurion as a matter of a fact All four of them use the same company so you can’t say ATT, Verizon, Sprint now T-Mobile are being shady, but I just started a trade in process from Apple thinking they would do it in house, next thing you know I am getting an email from Phobio and was shocked, but honestly dealing with Asurion I can tell you, ANY device you use for trade in doesn’t matter how old it is must be close to damn to brand spanking out of the box new, they will nit pick hidden scratches invisible to the eye, check the ports for water damages, inspect your screens from hidden scratches, check for any scratches done to the case itself

my only advice if you have the means to do it, USE the accidental damage coverage if you have it available from apple care or send it for repairs To a third party retailer before ever sending a device for trade in doesn’t matter if it’s Phobio or any for that matter, granted if they ever find anything so much as a scratch the value automaticlly drops to 50% of the quoted amount, trust me and if they keep finding stuff, the amount keeps dropping.

This is a big deal for NEXT plans or devices used yearly for trade in, pretty much anything i have from apple I treat it like it’s not mine and use cases like crazy, but Hey accidents happens having a Third party insurance company also helps, you never know, heck just having direct tv and their insurance plan with a 50 deductible you could get ipads, macbooks, and desktops fixed, if you have homeowners insurance you might electronics already covered, but ALWAYS cover yourself, take pictures, record videos, send pictures before in box with the serial number just in case, and yes I can see here that they will claim any defects in the lcd by taking it apart and doing the famous apple test by checking the connectors that you never knew were broken unless they fixed it and running their internal diagnostics.

Apple makes their money from repairs, i learned my lesson, but what’s funny is all they do with our devices is just use them to recycle The parts to make other devices and what not, but at the moment I NEED the apple in store credit and sad to say Apple is the only company partnered with phobio that will give me the most for my device, so sad to say I have no choice ;( Checked Best Buy, Att, and other retailers recommended here, but Phobio is the only one with the most amount so crossing my fingers, just had my said device literally replaced by AppleCare using the accidental damage coverage, so i dare them to tell me something’s wrong with it haha

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Wow was planning to trade in my ipad...Thank god my fedex box got lost and never came.

Shawnstant

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going through this scenario right now and immediately suspected Phobio of fraud. I had an estimated trade-in value at $850 and Phobio reduced it to $300. The photo Phobio sent was impossible to tell if it was even my laptop, it showed visible grit in the display frame and crazy display smudging. There's no way this is the same machine I sent them. Their excuse was similar, "Delaminating or Worn Display Coating". I'm really concerned they are going to send me back a damaged or replaced display. Apple sales support sounds accommodating, but I believe I will hit a wall with them, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.