Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oleksi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
I was testing new Always On Display mode and noticed something that scared me a bit.

All of my previous watches with AOD-mode (and smartphones also) had "burn-on protection". All static images constantly shifting around the screen (or slightly moved in any direction). But on Apple Watch 5 image on screen doesn't move at all and, for instance, day/date information is displayed on a fixed position 24 hours a day.

Did you noticed the same? Does Apple Watch 5 have screen burn-in protection?

Oleksi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
If you have burn in concerns change watch faces. I’m really not worried about it though.
It's not a question of concerns/worrying, I just want to know if Apple Watch 5 AOD-mode has some sort of burn-in protection. Maybe Apple figured out another way to protect the OLED-screen from burn-in which I don't know.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It will become your issue when you will see some marks on AW5 OLED screen.

With 1Hz refresh rate for idling, it is a non issue. It becomes a problem when you enforce an always ON for any older gen Apple Watches, displaying 60Hz all the time.

Last edited:

Oleksi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
With 1Hz refresh rate for idling, it is a non issue. It becomes a problem when you enforce an always ON for any older gen Apple Watches, displaying 60Hz all the time.
1Hz means the watch updates information on the display one time per second. But 60Hz doesn't mean that the pixel works 60 times longer during the second than at 1Hz. Anyway pixel is ON for a second, no matter what frame rate is.

60Hz drains more battery than 1Hz. But it has nothing to do with screen burn-in.

Reactions: mgscheue

Harvest87

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
I know that thread is old, but i just took some time...

So now after 7 month of usage my Apple Watch Series 5 finally got a nice burn in effect by the Apple Weather widget!

I hope the support will send me a new one...

Harvest87

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
It’s quite difficult to get this on a picture but I think that this two pics will work.

FC046432-D0DF-4AB7-9B14-2C08F8520029.jpeg

EBAAE5B4-1B6D-44F0-A461-5BB2355A2D72.jpeg

Harvest87

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
In the blue it is a nasty streak.

But with millions of users it is strange that not more people have complained about this.

yeah that’s right, I’m also wondering about this fact, but this watch is quite new and you just notice it on a white screen!
most of the time using that watch it displays the widgets wich got burned in...

W1cH099

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2019
Guatemala
yeah that’s right, I’m also wondering about this fact, but this watch is quite new and you just notice it on a white screen!
most of the time using that watch it displays the widgets wich got burned in...

this is not good, how often did you change your watch face? And also how long have you had this watch?

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Happens to all OLED, the shifting around on other watches only delays it a bit. But it's usually only noticeable if you do those tests with the solid white screen. I always think "if you go out of your way to look for problems, you will see them"

W1cH099

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2019
Guatemala
"if you go out of your way to look for problems, you will see them"

you got a point there, I didn’t check my previous watch (series 3) for burning before selling it.

Y o be honest never thought of it but I change watch faces every week or so to avoid this

MrTeal

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
I had the same with my S5 (and also my girlfriends smaller S5). Contacted Apple (within warranty) and they send it to a repair station, received 2 replacement models. We have the watch since October '19 and never changed watch face (meridian). The stripes and complications all got burned in. Turned of the AoD since we got the replacement (battery life extended from 1 day with AoD on to ±2 days with AoD off).
Maybe now with WatchOS 7 I will create an automation to turn the AoD on between certain hours..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.