Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Can't say myself and other Aperture hold-out's have not been warned many-many times.

I still use Aperture.. it's been working mostly fine except I have not been able to import videos from iphone to aperture since May-2019 - must have been some iPhone update that broke that, photos still import.
Both Videos and photos from my Canon 70D still import.

I got this popup box this morning upon launching Aperture .... :eek:
NF8Gzo-yarJSKfjfpPwy9Nnp4-aGNr5WZFZlgefOLueikyYCQk0P1Iwhkhpc0Ps-V1lDa1QcuTAjlqWi0wlHr2t1od69UgymGKCsBCASTtht4GoApq4eLASkoOJOHKXHz7lL2KMDtbwvCxabqhkVPlQmyDxhKUXM-icDtV4mMTZAprm-ftbEck593grEP4Vrefbyn5T86DRnGj98kqZ2yzX06UphTvqi5Df3fZzxl5IE1oc6t6cF5p6AdIx9BUjSa85ji8xUEv7R1CRPapT7su9c_5dyRpGeEH-nSq3tab-IAf2O72GRLgE_w5goUFZaYBbiISCIbEErlMCBVwmliyDH4-iVb2BlUrvQBVhoF3026AugO2aqQL64WpvU_ECaAnvzJZCmQ8IDrJ1EI9ld590LdWmG945VLncMbh6PO_wrRpl0hNNcprSF5FOS2uwkO6kq7FYB-l5oo2zHmXbvkCTcMKalSCX_27WArsuMxcwTnzPKF72-H1oV-k6j5V-tPvnbnfliMTtPl1dAAz2xGX26uWho_SxFiQqrWfEjviuCAeC3BWcorG39svsOHGIjmL6EZ_vnYHY_XikPLSR_QTY5rTkvPtKMhVK54wMnRd5YDckMwBzau1h_UU8ZkQuksNFq8tOhss2exaHC7qQGfNO7kvnWnDC5=w800-h883-no

Reactions: martyjmclean

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
me too this morning.

I have to start my Capture One trial this weekend.
I bought Luminar and On1 but not loving those.

Too bad they [Apple] couldn't have announced an Aperture Plugin to work with Photos. That would allow the missing features to be used within Photos...they could have even sold that plugin to make money

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
That "warning" looks to have been thrown up by a recent Mojave update (have you just installed one of the supplemental 10.14.6 updates?).

It won't impact Aperture's operation so long as you keep using Mojave.
All it does it alert the user that versions of the OS -after Mojave- won't run Aperture. But we already knew this.

I'm not much of an Aperture user, but I DO use a lot of other 32 bit software (particularly Picasa, my favorite "photo browser" and light editor).

My solution:
I intend to stick with Mojave for as long as I run this current Mac (2018 Mini). Indeed, I bought it just to have newer hardware that will continue to run 32 bits into the foreseeable future...

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
That "warning" looks to have been thrown up by a recent Mojave update (have you just installed one of the supplemental 10.14.6 updates?).

It won't impact Aperture's operation so long as you keep using Mojave.
All it does it alert the user that versions of the OS -after Mojave- won't run Aperture. But we already knew this.

I'm not much of an Aperture user, but I DO use a lot of other 32 bit software (particularly Picasa, my favorite "photo browser" and light editor).

My solution:
I intend to stick with Mojave for as long as I run this current Mac (2018 Mini). Indeed, I bought it just to have newer hardware that will continue to run 32 bits into the foreseeable future...
Best thing you can do is make yourself a bootable Mojave USB installer and keep it tucked away so that you can instal it in the future. I have a cMP 4,1 that’s flashed and tweaked to run Mojave natively (with a Metal GPU, of course), but it will also boot with an El Capitan drive installed. I wonder how many upgrade hold outs Apple will get with the 32bit end of support. I have other programs that will also die with 32bit on Apple, but they still work great and I don’t want to deal with the hassle of finding a replacement. Oh well.

Reactions: someoldguy

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
My solution:
Why limit yourself to Mojave and miss out on newer features, as well as security features? Buy Parallels or VMWare Fusion, create a macOS 10.14 virtual machine, install Aperture in there (and any other 32-bit software you use), and you're done. Upgrade your primary operating system when you're ready, and keep using your 32-bit programs in the virtual machine. Virtualbox represents a free alternative to Parallels and VMWare, but its performance may not be as good.

The virtual machine will add some overhead and provide a small to moderate performance hit, depending on what you're doing and what your underlying hardware consists of. For Aperture, though, performance should be just fine. You'll also lose a bit of time, as you're essentially opening an application to open an application (which can feel silly), but it'll get the job done.

This is a great option for someone who wants a bit more time and already owns virtualization software, or who has limited needs and wouldn't be impacted by a performance penalty (as you might experience with VirtualBox). If you're looking into buying virtualization software just for Aperture, though... don't waste your money. Just bite the bullet and get Capture One or an equivalent. Capture One Pro didn't fully replace all of Aperture's features for me, and I need to still use Photos for things like searching for photos by geotag or facial recognition. As far as editing goes, though, Capture One is very far ahead of Aperture at this point. Particularly if you're a RAW shooter, do yourself a favor and unlock more of your camera's potential by going with a modern program.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Ledgem wrote:
"Why limit yourself to Mojave and miss out on newer features, as well as security features?"

Haha.

Old Carter Family song, "The Waves on the Sea":

Verse goes like this:
Oh, the first on the deck was a porter of the ship
And a rough-looking fellow was he
Says, "I care no more for my wife and my child
Than I do for the fish in the sea".

That's how I care about "security" on the Mac.
I DISABLE ALL security stuff -- gatekeeper, SIP, Startup Security (on the t2 chip) -- I just TURN IT ALL OFF. Everything.

Now I realize others will be afraid to do that.
I'm not.
My Macs have always run great that way.

As the song goes, I care no more for "se-cure-it-tee", than I do "for the fish in the sea"...

Last edited:

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I finally let go of Aperture and now work in Lightroom and Photos.

Believe it or not, Photos has come a long way and I like that I can use Lightroom across multiple OSs.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am gradually getting closer and closer to finally letting go of Aperture..... I've been using Luminar -- started with Luminar 2018 last year and then eventually moved to Luminar 3 and yet for a long time I would do some things in it and then finish up with refining or more detailed work in Aperture. This past couple of months, knowing what is coming, I have forced myself to take the time to learn what I need to know so that I don't just automatically hop out of Luminar 3 and jump into Aperture out of habit more than anything else....and so far, so good with that. I haven't gone into Aperture at all now for over a month, so that's progress. Also last night I ran across a book about how to use Aperture.....I looked sadly at it and quietly discarded it. (Normally I don't throw books out but in this case the library or other places aren't going to want to accept it anyway and there will be little demand for it since Aperture is going to be extinct very soon.) It will be a sad day when I finally pull the plug on Aperture altogether, though....

Reactions: PrecisionGem

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
+1 for gradually moving to Lightroom and Photos. Photos is much better than a few year ago, but not quite there for me.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
That's how I care about "security" on the Mac.
I DISABLE ALL security stuff -- gatekeeper, SIP, Startup Security (on the t2 chip) -- I just TURN IT ALL OFF. Everything.

Now I realize others will be afraid to do that.
I'm not.
My Macs have always run great that way.

As the song goes, I care no more for "se-cure-it-tee", than I do "for the fish in the sea"...
As the saying goes, "it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you" - and "they" are really out to get us all. Kind of reminds me of a guy I worked under once, who also bragged about not caring for security - used weak passwords and that sort of thing. I had to keep from laughing when he told me that his identity had been stolen at one point, and he had been locked out of his own email account. Best practices won't 100% shield you from those types of things, but at the very least put some effort into not making yourself the low-hanging fruit.

But more to the point, why go out of your way to disable the default security options? Is your system so resource-constrained that disabling every last security feature is needed for performance? If not, you're not only putting yourself at risk but you're wasting money. Apple has implemented all of these features, and while we didn't pay for each feature individually, they're definitely part of the cost of these systems. They're also little things that help to make the system more secure, which means it's more likely to keep running smoothly (and not interfere with your life in other, more nefarious ways).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
ledgem wrote:
"But more to the point, why go out of your way to disable the default security options? Is your system so resource-constrained that disabling every last security feature is needed for performance?"

Because the Mac just RUNS BETTER without that stuff "abled".

For instance, I've completely disabled gatekeeper.
Now I can run/test any software I wish without having to jump through a hoop to get it launched.

That's what I WANT.
Again, re security -- reread my post above.
This WILL NOT change with the Macs in my house.

And -- after 32 years of Mac'ing (in which they've always run great) -- they STILL run great.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I will be holding out as long as possible, which means I won't be upgrading to the new OSX when it launches. I wish Apple would put some more effort into Photos since they decided to kill Aperture, but it still isn't there yet as a DAM in my opinion (needs batch metadata editing and referenced libraries).

Reactions: mtbdudex

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
When is the last time Apple did a camera raw update for Aperture. Is newer gear even usable.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
When is the last time Apple did a camera raw update for Aperture. Is newer gear even usable.
As far as I know, it used to be that Aperture went along with the system RAW support updates. Apple must have changed something, or maybe Aperture really was being updated separately, but it's been years, now. I upgraded my camera 3-4 years ago and Aperture still doesn't support it, even though macOS can read the RAW files in Finder. Aperture's lack of compatibility with my camera was really what forced me off of it.

andyrawlins

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
Why limit yourself to Mojave and miss out on newer features, as well as security features? Buy Parallels or VMWare Fusion, create a macOS 10.14 virtual machine, install Aperture in there (and any other 32-bit software you use), and you're done. Upgrade your primary operating system when you're ready, and keep using your 32-bit programs in the virtual machine. Virtualbox represents a free alternative to Parallels and VMWare, but its performance may not be as good.

The virtual machine will add some overhead and provide a small to moderate performance hit, depending on what you're doing and what your underlying hardware consists of. For Aperture, though, performance should be just fine. You'll also lose a bit of time, as you're essentially opening an application to open an application (which can feel silly), but it'll get the job done.

This is a great option for someone who wants a bit more time and already owns virtualization software, or who has limited needs and wouldn't be impacted by a performance penalty (as you might experience with VirtualBox). If you're looking into buying virtualization software just for Aperture, though... don't waste your money. Just bite the bullet and get Capture One or an equivalent. Capture One Pro didn't fully replace all of Aperture's features for me, and I need to still use Photos for things like searching for photos by geotag or facial recognition. As far as editing goes, though, Capture One is very far ahead of Aperture at this point. Particularly if you're a RAW shooter, do yourself a favor and unlock more of your camera's potential by going with a modern program.
I went this route (with Parallels) but unfortunately this won't work. See the thread here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/does-aperture-run-on-a-guest-vm-macos.345760/ Bummer. All I want is something that can show all my geotagged photos on a map but, now my version of Lightroom has lost its maps capability, and I'm not paying for a Lightroom subscription, I'm pretty much out of luck.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I went this route (with Parallels) but unfortunately this won't work. See the thread here: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/does-aperture-run-on-a-guest-vm-macos.345760/ Bummer. All I want is something that can show all my geotagged photos on a map but, now my version of Lightroom has lost its maps capability, and I'm not paying for a Lightroom subscription, I'm pretty much out of luck.
Photos has the ability to show you any GPS photos on a map. It’s under albums, then People and Places.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Interesting, seems like it works but is crippled if you're hoping to use it as your primary DAM (able to load libraries and export files, shows almost everything except for the image in the viewer). Thanks for the notice.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Very interesting post 21 above, rraynor.

I'm not a programmer -- so doing this is probably above my abilities.

But... if Aperture and iPhoto can be made to run in Catalina, can OTHER [presumably] "32-bit" apps be "fixed" to run, also?

josehill

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Why limit yourself to Mojave and miss out on newer features, as well as security features? Buy Parallels or VMWare Fusion, create a macOS 10.14 virtual machine, install Aperture in there (and any other 32-bit software you use), and you're done.

While others have mentioned it, I want to emphasize that so far, at this time Aperture 3.6 does not work on any virtualization platform because of the absence of 3D acceleration support for macOS guest VMs. Aperture will launch, but images will not be displayed, which sort of defeats the purpose.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
If you want maps of your images, and don't want to use Photos, try Houdah Geo. It could look inside your Aperture library (not sure if it still can) and reveal the images, which can be shown on one of three different maps. And then geocoded, etc. It can also look inside Lr Classic libraries and do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.