Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bolzenheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Hi Guys

I wrote a small php tool to manage the macs of my company. On part of it is that all Macs report their system serial number to this application which stores it in a DB.
I would really like to provide some informations about the Mac from within the application, so for example that it's an iMac from 2011. I hope you understand;)

Do you now any service in the web with a documented API where you can submit a serial and receive informations about the mac automatically?

I know "everymac.com" and the normal apple support coverage tool but, AFAIK none of them provides an official API.
I also wrote the guys from everymac.com but did not receive an answer.

Best regards

Bolzenheim

Bolzenheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Hi Everyone

Thank you Weaselboy for your reply and sorry that it took me very long to answer.
In the meantime I found another solution which surely isn't perfect but it works well for now.

1.) I send the http request with the corrct get-string (last 3 / 4 numbers of the serial) to the website everymac.

2.) I parse the request with the simple php html dom parser

3.) Search for the specific html tag

4.) Extract the table with the informations by tag and include this string in my website.

Do you know if I am violating any copyright regulations with this method? (as I said: My application is only for internal use)

Best regards

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you know if I am violating any copyright regulations with this method? (as I said: My application is only for internal use)

Best regards

Just from a quick read of their terms of service (TOS), it probably does. That said, if it is just for occasional, personal use I doubt they would care to do anything about it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Bolzenheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Hi Bear and Weaselboy

Many thanks for your replies.
I read that it could be problematic to use the site in the way I do but, as you said, I think I'll stick with that solution anyway for the moment.

I think it could be a next project to build an open database of serialnumbers for identification, but not this time;)

Anyway, thank you Bear for the interesting articles!

Best regards

karolbagus

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
hi all,
I need to build an open database of serialnumbers for identification on website. Google give me this tread and Bolzenheim that was your mind ;)
How to make this? I know some php, mysql, html and css but don't know how to start with this.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi Guys

I wrote a small php tool to manage the macs of my company. On part of it is that all Macs report their system serial number to this application which stores it in a DB.
I would really like to provide some informations about the Mac from within the application, so for example that it's an iMac from 2011. I hope you understand;)

Do you now any service in the web with a documented API where you can submit a serial and receive informations about the mac automatically?

You are over complicating it. If the Macs are reporting their serial number, why not just have them report their specs as well?

ayser

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2019
Hi Everyone

Thank you Weaselboy for your reply and sorry that it took me very long to answer.
In the meantime I found another solution which surely isn't perfect but it works well for now.

1.) I send the http request with the corrct get-string (last 3 / 4 numbers of the serial) to the website everymac.

2.) I parse the request with the simple php html dom parser

3.) Search for the specific html tag

4.) Extract the table with the informations by tag and include this string in my website.

Best regards

Hello
Bolzenheim

Can you please give us more details on how you managed to get the specs.
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.