Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zealgr

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
Greece
I was looking for an app like these since I got my apple watch, but couldn't find anything.
I downloaded Mobeleash and Phone Buddy, but currently use Phone Buddy because it notifies me immediately when the connections is lost and that is important for me.
@Itinj24 Thank you for your suggestions!

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I was looking for an app like these since I got my apple watch, but couldn't find anything.
I downloaded Mobeleash and Phone Buddy, but currently use Phone Buddy because it notifies me immediately when the connections is lost and that is important for me.
@Itinj24 Thank you for your suggestions!
?
Phone Buddy is getting a lot of updates. I’m still beta testing for the dev and there are more features on the way. That map feature is killer!
Active mode does use up a little more battery which is to be expected. A little sacrifice to make for added security but if you charge every night, should not be a problem getting through the day. Might be why Apple didn’t add this natively. I get about the advertised 18 hours on my S5 with AOD and raise to wake on running active mode. When I leave in passive mode, I get closer to 24 hours battery.

Reactions: Zealgr

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Phone Buddy looks great but I’m not sure it’s worth $7 tbh.
Of course something is worth only what they’re willing to pay. I’ve spent more than that on drink at Starbucks lol. IMO, the peace of mind provided by this app and the potential to save me over 1000 bux from a lost phone is worth a lot more than a Starbucks drink. That’s just me though. Is 7 bux really that much in the grand scheme of things? That’s for you to decide.

Zealgr

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
Greece
I was a bit sceptical about the price also, but if it saves my iPhone even one time from getting lost, it's worth it..
One less drink for just one night out is ok for me.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The fact that Apple didn’t add this feature natively still boggles my mind. They didn’t care to add the “Find My” app to the watch either, the one device that pretty much stays attached to your body all day. This dev stepped up where Apple didn’t and I respect that. I don’t mind paying him for a product that Apple didn’t care to provide us. I once negligently left my phone on the roof of my car. By the time I found it, it was too late. This app at the time would’ve probably saved my phone. 7 bux is not going to break my bank lol.

Zealgr

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
Greece
PhoneBuddy updated today and now has notifications before losing connection with the iPhone!! Two different choices for notifications depending on the distance. I didn’t regret the purchase for a moment, but it keeps getting better to reassure me

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
PhoneBuddy updated today and now has notifications before losing connection with the iPhone!! Two different choices for notifications depending on the distance. I didn’t regret the purchase for a moment, but it keeps getting better to reassure me
Yep... I been beta testing that feature for over a week now. Not sure if the dev wanted me to disclose it so I kept hush hush ?

Stay tuned... There’s another awesome feature in the works!

Reactions: max2 and Zealgr

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for the app suggestions.
One question on Mobeleash, does it also work if you take your phone but leave your watch behind?
There have been times when I take off my watch to avoid scratching or breaking and I will leave with my phone but forget the watch. Does it send a notification to your phone?
Phone Buddy Devs are going to be working on this feature... to notify your phone if you leave your watch behind.
[automerge]1574476081[/automerge]
The reverse (leaving the watch and taking the phone) didn't work for me in Mobeleash either. Taking off the watch locks in, and the phone app has no function or interface at all, other than settings, so Mobeleash is solely an app for the watch. But it does seem to work pretty well. It is solely bluetooth based, so it will trigger a disconnection in your home or office if you separate for long enough from BT (so does not seem to use wifi at all).

in the documentation for Phone Buddy, which I haven't tried, it says that is has the watch check for a connection to the phone, when the watch detects "activity". But what happens if you are sitting still, and someone steals your bag that contains the phone. Does either app notify in that situation, when the watch is not moving and the phone is? To test this, I need to get my partner to take my phone away out of a connection (so may try that at least for Mobeleash).
Phone Buddy will notify you if you’re stationary and your phone wanders off

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
After reading this thread, I purchased Phone Buddy, but I cannot get it to install on the watch. When I hit the INSTALL button in the watch app, it just spins and spins and never shows up on the watch. I have tried restarting the watch and the phone and also uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone. I still get incessant spinning when I hit INSTALL. I am corresponding via email with tech support but wondered if anyone in the community has gone th this or has suggestions.

Reactions: max2

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
After reading this thread, I purchased Phone Buddy, but I cannot get it to install on the watch. When I hit the INSTALL button in the watch app, it just spins and spins and never shows up on the watch. I have tried restarting the watch and the phone and also uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone. I still get incessant spinning when I hit INSTALL. I am corresponding via email with tech support but wondered if anyone in the community has gone th this or has suggestions.
I’ve been beta testing this app for a while doing several install and uninstalls on both Test Flight and the App Store and never seen this issue. The Dev is very responsive. They should get back to you quick. Did it install on the phone?

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Yes. At developer’s suggestion, I checked for an iOS update, and there was one, but it still won’t install on the watch. Is it compatible with Series 2?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yes. At developer’s suggestion, I checked for an iOS update, and there was one, but it still won’t install on the watch. Is it compatible with Series 2?
That I couldn’t tell ya, sorry. I started testing on S4 then S5. Dev would be a better source to answer that.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Finally got Phone Buddy working on my phone with developer’s help. It would not install through the app. Had to install directly from the watch. Seems to work fine now. Hate I missed the code.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Finally got Phone Buddy working on my phone with developer’s help. It would not install through the app. Had to install directly from the watch. Seems to work fine now. Hate I missed the code.
I also forwarded your issue to the dev. Glad it’s working for you now. The customer support is great.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Just installed the app without any issues on my iPhone 11 and my AW Series 4.
Have not subscribed to the Active mode (and still did not sign up for the free trial).
Question I have - and I searched the developer's website for an answer - what is the difference between Active and Passive modes? What will the app do in Active mode that it doesn't seem to do in Passive? I had my iPhone on my desk upstairs, walked downstairs and into the garage (about as far as I can get without actually going outside our house - snowing now) and Nada. I even tried turning off Bluetooth on the iPhone to see if that would generate some notification - Nada. Now - my AW and iPhone 11 do connect while in our home via Wifi - could that be causing the lack of notifications or do you actually have to subscribe to the Active Mode for the app to do anything useful? Thanks

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
After leaving my phone behind once again, I can’t believe I stumbled onto this thread. I had suggested this feature to an Apple employee friend of mine a couple years ago. Thought it might be implemented by now. Looks like PhoneBuddy is a good deal for now. Too bad I missed out on those lifetime promo codes.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I’m not sure what the two do differently, but you can choose to be notified in active mode when the signal strength drops but is not actually lost. I can walk out my office door and get an alert by the time I get to my truck, which is only about 25 yards from where my phone sits charging on my desk. This is precisely what I was looking for.

Reactions: xdhd350

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I’m not sure what the two do differently, but you can choose to be notified in active mode when the signal strength drops but is not actually lost. I can walk out my office door and get an alert by the time I get to my truck, which is only about 25 yards from where my phone sits charging on my desk. This is precisely what I was looking for.
Well, after installing the app there is a support page which explains some of the differences. The major one is in "passive" mode, the notification can take up to 20 MINUTES to be sent.
I subscribed for the free trial, set everything up including Active set for Medium Distance and it drove me freaking nuts when I left it on my computer desk on the second floor of our house and walked around downstairs! Considered just deleting the app and then decided turn off "Phone Going Away" alert and see the results.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Just installed the app without any issues on my iPhone 11 and my AW Series 4.
Have not subscribed to the Active mode (and still did not sign up for the free trial).
Question I have - and I searched the developer's website for an answer - what is the difference between Active and Passive modes? What will the app do in Active mode that it doesn't seem to do in Passive? I had my iPhone on my desk upstairs, walked downstairs and into the garage (about as far as I can get without actually going outside our house - snowing now) and Nada. I even tried turning off Bluetooth on the iPhone to see if that would generate some notification - Nada. Now - my AW and iPhone 11 do connect while in our home via Wifi - could that be causing the lack of notifications or do you actually have to subscribe to the Active Mode for the app to do anything useful? Thanks
Yeah, Active mode gives immediate alerts whereas passive can take up to 20 minutes.
WiFi safe zone was a beta feature that didn’t work in my testing so they’re going back to work on it so more.
[automerge]1575347624[/automerge]
Well, after installing the app there is a support page which explains some of the differences. The major one is in "passive" mode, the notification can take up to 20 MINUTES to be sent.
I subscribed for the free trial, set everything up including Active set for Medium Distance and it drove me freaking nuts when I left it on my computer desk on the second floor of our house and walked around downstairs! Considered just deleting the app and then decided turn off "Phone Going Away" alert and see the results.
Turning off the going away alerts will only notify you when you break Bluetooth connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.