Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today posted a new support document outlining troubleshooting steps for users experiencing problems with unexpected shutdowns on the entry-level 2019 13-inch MacBook Pro with two Thunderbolt 3 ports, which was introduced back in July.

2019macbookpro.jpg

Apple's troubleshooting steps involve making sure the MacBook Pro has its battery level run down to below 90 percent, connecting it to a charger, quitting all open applications, and letting it sleep and charge for at least eight hours.

Once the MacBook Pro has been charged for at least eight hours, users should make sure they are running the latest version of macOS, and if the shutdown issue persists after following these steps, users should contact Apple for service.

There is a fairly lengthy thread in our forums where some users experiencing the issue have gathered to try to diagnose and troubleshoot their machines, and there are scattered reports of the issue in other discussion forums, including Apple's support forums.

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Issue With Some Entry-Level 2019 13-Inch MacBook Pro Models Unexpectedly Shutting Down

Last edited:

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
This happened to mine yesterday as I left it on overnight to copy some files. I couldn’t figure out why it had switched off even though it was plugged in and charging.

Reactions: Huck and Ghost31

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
heh... Someone hacked my wife's credit card and bought one of these on a popular e-commerce web site (that shall remain nameless). We received notification of a significant card charge which we reported within 10 minutes, which wasn't fast enough to avoid it shipping (WTF!)... We weren't sure exactly what it was until it showed up on our doorstep a day later :oops: Me thinks fast shipping may not be such a good idea??

We reported the situation to the police but when the police officer arrived they just told me to contact the seller and get a return label to send it back. We tried to explain it was an organized theft ring, and asked if there was a fraud unit that could stake out our porch to catch the thief. The officer said "you might think so but no, we don't have anything like that".

The best part: The credit card company removed the charge from our bill, and the retailer has NOT asked for the laptop back.

The laptop is technically "hot" so I can't use it. I'm thinking a "Will it blend" type of experiment? Or some sort of destructive unboxing? This type of end for the POS makes even more sense now that we know it's probably defective anyway.

Please respond with ideas as to how it shall meet its destructive end.
[automerge]1575439279[/automerge]
Settle down MR commenters.

This is likely just a software bug. They happen.

Wrong.

Software defect: "Wait for software update".
Hardware defect: "Contact Apple for Service" (meaning bring/send in for replacement).

Last edited:

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
It just works... sometimes.

This year has been a rough one for quality control.
How many are impacted? It’s laughable to Point to quality control without knowing the facts. Apple is good about taking care of their customers. Not everything has to be a statement about quality control, leadership, or the fall of Apple.

Apple sold 20M Macs last year.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
heh... Someone hacked my wife's credit card and bought one of these on a popular e-commerce web site (that shall remain nameless). We received notification of a significant card charge which we reported within 10 minutes, which wasn't fast enough to avoid it shipping (WTF!)... We weren't sure exactly what it was until it showed up on our doorstep a day later :oops: Me thinks fast shipping may not be such a good idea??

We reported the situation to the police but when the police officer arrived they just told me to contact the seller and get a return label to send it back. We tried to explain it was an organized theft ring, and asked if there was a fraud unit that could stake out our porch to catch the thief. The officer said "you might think so but no, we don't have anything like that".

The best part: The credit card company removed the charge from our bill, and the retailer has NOT asked for the laptop back.

The laptop is technically "hot" so I can't use it. I'm thinking a "Will it blend" type of experiment? Or some sort of destructive unboxing? This type of end for the POS makes even more sense now that we know it's probably defective anyway.

Please respond with ideas as to how it shall meet its destructive end.
[automerge]1575439279[/automerge]

Wrong.

Software defect: "Wait for software update".
Hardware defect: "Contact Apple for Service" (meaning bring/send in for replacement).
I would snail mail company they have 14 days to collect thier goods otherwise it will be disposed of

Short version of a long story but tennants stole many items, police recovered them but would not prosecute on the grounds they did not intend to permanently deprive me of ownership

My advice is check your countries applicable laws and conscience:)
[automerge]1575440171[/automerge]
How many are impacted? It’s laughable to Point to quality control without knowing the facts. Apple is good about taking care of their customers. Not everything has to be a statement about quality control, leadership, or the fall of Apple.

How many of those were sold to users who do not get return periods or how many only got repairs thanks to class actions

Apple is only taking care where it suits, thier polices are not worldwide and consumers often have to take legal action

Even now there is a case for repairs with the same defective item

Many countries only get covered for DOA, take the wrapper of it's yours

Those that live in EU fare better as they are protected more against apple shenanigans

Last edited:

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Steve had plenty of ‘quality’ issues with products under his helm. Nice attempt at a spin though....

Steve did (you are holding it wrong), but nothing like the key board problems of the Macbooks. So many people are not touching macbooks until they get ride of the junk keyboard.

Steve would have screamed, yelled, and probably mistreated the manager/employees responsible for it (even if unjustified). He was that nuts!

Tim is like.. as long as my dongle sales are up, who cares about macbooks!

timme

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2014
I’m so glad I have a late 2013 iMac which actually does “Just Work”. I also upgraded it to ssd an 16 gb more ram. Couldn’t be more happy as a composer. However I did skip Catalina. That bullet I dodged. Still happy on Mojave.
But I’m glad Apple is picking things up lately. Seems like I have to wait a while longer before upgrading to a MacBook which “just works”

Reactions: GalileoSeven

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

It's probably "a small number of users" who are having these issues.... just like the "small number of users" who were "having issues with their third-generation butterfly keyboard." I'm sure Apple is sorry and "the vast majority of Mac notebook customers are having a positive experience." It's because of these positive experiences that Apple is going back to the scissor switch keyboard.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...h-third-generation-macbook-keyboards.2175220/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.