Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
Ummm, Apple? Are we sure this isn't affecting other MBP's other than the 2TB 13" one?
I have a mid-2019 15" MBP and twice now, since I bought it 2 weeks ago, it has done the same thing: spontaneously shut down when I'm not using it. If it happens again I'm sending it back to Amazon, getting my money refunded, and will buy an ASUS Zenbook 15 to replace it.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Wow, you're such a news breaker. Everyone knows they went back to scissor on the 16, but do they still sell MacBooks with the butterfly? I'll wait.

It took 4 years of a supposed catostrophic design flaw for them to go back to scissor and acknowledge an issue for some users. They never admitted it was a design flaw and never said it impacted everyone.

That's what in question here. How big is the issue and how many were impacted. Neither of us know. We do know Apple still sells butterfly keyboards and they didn't rush to go back to scissor. The fact they decided to go back to scissor keys is just part of the normal evolution of products. They tried butterfly and decided to change it several years later. Maybe the failure rate was higher than they wanted. Maybe users didn't like it as much as they thought. I'm conceding all of these things. What I'm not conceding is that it was a major issue, a design flaw, or something that it impacted more than a small number of users.

Big enough for class action suits, numerous posts on social media, and most every other news outlet about the abandonment of the butterfly, Apple's failure to correct it after 2-3 generations which also include multiple revisions, and their return to the scissor-switch. Pretty sure that's enough evidence which overrides your personal opinion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.07.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.07.10 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.18.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.18.53 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 95

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Big enough for class action suits, numerous posts on social media, and most every other news outlet about the abandonment of the butterfly, Apple's failure to correct it after 2-3 generations which also include multiple revisions, and their return to the scissor-switch. Pretty sure that's enough evidence which overrides your personal opinion.
That's not evidence. Again, Apple deals in large numbers. Anything like a 10% or 30% "failure" rate would be met with far more aggressive action. I completely disagree that this is an opinion. Watch what they do or in this case what they didn't do.

They basically went back to scissor after a normal cycle. Definitely wasn't something Apple was worried about "fixing" quickly. They still sell the damn things.

Sure, I concede they got rid of it or are starting to. But they did it when they damn well pleased. Couldn't have happened if it were anything like what's portrayed here.

BTW...I already said attorneys are the only winners here. Of course they are interested in fighting silly cases on desperate users' behalf. They are going to get rich and you'll get a $10 gift card.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
That's not evidence. Again, Apple deals in large numbers. Anything like a 10% or 30% "failure" rate would be met with far more aggressive action. I completely disagree that this is an opinion. Watch what they do or in this case what they didn't do.

They basically went back to scissor after a normal cycle. Definitely wasn't something Apple was worried about "fixing" quickly. They still sell the damn things.

Sure, I concede they got rid of it or are starting to. But they did it when they damn well pleased. Couldn't have happened if it were anything like what's portrayed here.

BTW...I already said attorneys are the only winners here. Of course they are interested in fighting silly cases on desperate users' behalf. They are going to get rich and you'll get a $10 gift card.
No one believes much of anything you have to say because they're either false from misinformation or flat out lies.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
No one believes much of anything you have to say because they're either false from misinformation or flat out lies.
Don't speak for everyone. I have at least some anecdotal evidence people do listen. One guy here bought AAPL because I discussed its financial prospects in detail (which were factually correct). He evaluated those facts and bought the shares. He's glad he read my posts and even thanked me for it.

I deal with facts in general. Read some more. You may make some money.

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Top notch high tech conpany that know each detail like each chip hardware revision with detailed anomaly list from component supplier cannot give affected units serial numbers??? There is no word like "some", some amount" in engineering language. There are precise numbers, batches and everything info is tracked/versioned. There is no voodoo here so they should replace affected machines.
[automerge]1575489296[/automerge]
Battery calibration problems?

If you do these steps and they fix the issue, try resetting the SMC and see if they start happening again.

Wonder if this is some odd smart charging behavior bug. Apple does charge-to-80 for iDevices. Maybe MBPs have a 90% threshold, but there's a problem between the SMC and the smart charging logic?
I believe they have general issues with Dialog Semiconductor chip architecture and that is why we had famous battery gate in iPhones and issues with fast charging which is limited internally so it cannot compete and match Samsung solutions for example.

Last edited:

vett93

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
California
Is this new defect reasily reproducible? I just ordered an entry level 13" MBP as a companion to my Mac Pro. It is supposed to arrive at my house today from FedEx. If it is easily reproducible, I'll test mine in the next few weeks and return it if my unit has the defect.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
My argument on that would be not that they don’t happen on Macs/iOS etc.

You pay Apple premium for how quickly they usually fix them. While android and windows people have to wait a hell of a lot longer for bug fixes.
I have had almost no issues with windows 10.

Reactions: falainber

thehappycoder

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I had the same unexpected shutdowns with 15 inch macbook pro 2019. Apple ran the tests and they all passed. After getting the laptop back from the service, being skeptical, I stayed in the Apple store, began installing Mojave and the laptop got stuck in the reboot loop in attempt to continue installing the OS. Returned the laptop back, got the money back and bought desktop PC with better hardware for half the money. Lost my patience with Apple.

Mafamaticks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
After the butterfly keyboard fiasco it's just hard to trust Apple when it comes to situations like this. Especially when:

• You pay a premium for a laptop
  • You possibly have to pay the cost of a decent Windows laptop to have it fixed if it's out of warranty
  • You have the issue misdiagnosed by Apple and all of the "Geniuses" at the Apple store
  • You have to be without your laptop for days on end while Apple works on it
How many people had to pay for a new keyboard for Apple to finally acknowledge it? This could (or couldn't be) the start of something similar. We won't know because they aren't forthright about it.

I have a 13" 2012 MBP non-retina that I've been dying to upgrade to one of the newer ones, but it's hard to when they handle stuff they way they've been handling it.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Their inaction to redesign and discontinue it completely prove it’s not a major issue.
[automerge]1575485011[/automerge]

So you should stop speculating it’s 10% or 30%.

0.05% of 20M is still a largish number. And that’s just 1 year. 30% would be totally unmanageable.
[automerge]1575485294[/automerge]

I’m simply saying there isn’t enough data to say “defect” or “design flaw.”

The inaction from Apple suggests the problem is somewhat limited.
Apple is the epitome of inaction in these situations. They do nothing until it goes viral on social media or they Get sued over it.

better to ignore until they can’t anymore

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Quality at Apple died when Steve Jobs passed

Sure, like my 2001 iBook with logic board issues, my 2003 iMac with a tilted to the left screen, my 2004 Powerbook G4 with white spots on the display, my 2006 Macbook with cracked wrist rest, my 2007 iMac with poor circulation causing the HD to fry itself every 18 months or so, my wife's 2009 Macbook Pro with graphic card issues...

All acknowledged by Apple and others at the time but either conveniently forgotten about.

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
Don't speak for everyone. I have at least some anecdotal evidence people do listen. One guy here bought AAPL because I discussed its financial prospects in detail (which were factually correct). He evaluated those facts and bought the shares. He's glad he read my posts and even thanked me for it.

I deal with facts in general. Read some more. You may make some money.

Off topic.. this idea is far much better than buying AAPL shares.

Reactions: mi7chy

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The problem I have is that he’s doing all the grandstanding as Apples CEO. If he wants to be a social political activist he should retire from Apple. Then he is free to preach all he wants.

I don’t give a rats behind about politics. Tired of all the BS in today’s politics. The government is corrupt. Always has been always gonna be. So your wrong about my attacking his politics.

"The problem I have is that he’s doing all the grandstanding as Apples CEO. If he wants to be a social political activist he should retire from Apple."

Except Cook isn't doing that. He is advocating on behalf of Apple and its employees towards the US government, with respect to matters concerning Apple and its employees, as he should. It's part of his job being CEO of Apple.

"If he wants to be a social political activist he should retire from Apple."

No he shouldn't. It's his duty and obligation as CEO to standup on behalf of his employees and customers. Since Cook will never do what you want him to do, rather than carry all of that anger around for years and years, perhaps you should stand up, vote with your wallet, and retire from being an Apple customer.

The good news is there are loads of computer and tech manufactures to choose from. Simply muster up some courage and reward those with your currency whose stance and outlook is aligned with yours. I wouldn't even think twice about it if I felt as strongly as you.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
How many are impacted? It’s laughable to Point to quality control without knowing the facts.

Does Apple make public statements about issues for 1 occurrence?

Let us try this from your perspective... how many customers do you think need to experience an issue or failure to make Apple "acknowledge" an issue publicly like this or to create a Keyboard Service Program?

To me if the end user needs to perform want equates to a battery conditioning procedure it is fair to place the place blame at the feet of QC.

Just like with the butterfly keyboard QC or engineering is not going to catch everything, that's why its called the real world versus the lab but your constant downplaying of the number of occurrences is laughable. Apple doesn't admit to anything unless the numbers force their hand, no company does. Apple doesn't give a 4 year keyboard warranty unless they have too, no company does. Stop always trying to downplay the number of occurrences, if the butterfly keyboards didn't suck there wouldn't be a Keyboard Service Program that covers BRAND NEW PRODUCTS! If there were not a significant (in Apple's eyes) number of 13" Shutdown occurrences they would not have made a public statement with a procedure in hand to hopefully fix the issue. At this point you are just embarrassing yourself, just like you did in the keyboard lawsuit thread, we miss you over there.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Does Apple make public statements about issues for 1 occurrence?

Let us try this from your perspective... how many customers do you think need to experience an issue or failure to make Apple "acknowledge" an issue publicly like this or to create a Keyboard Service Program?

To me if the end user needs to perform want equates to a battery conditioning procedure it is fair to place the place blame at the feet of QC.

Just like with the butterfly keyboard QC or engineering is not going to catch everything, that's why its called the real world versus the lab but your constant downplaying of the number of occurrences is laughable. Apple doesn't admit to anything unless the numbers force their hand, no company does. Apple doesn't give a 4 year keyboard warranty unless they have too, no company does. Stop always trying to downplay the number of occurrences, if the butterfly keyboards didn't suck there wouldn't be a Keyboard Service Program that covers BRAND NEW PRODUCTS! If there were not a significant (in Apple's eyes) number of 13" Shutdown occurrences they would not have made a public statement with a procedure in hand to hopefully fix the issue. At this point you are just embarrassing yourself, just like you did in the keyboard lawsuit thread, we miss you over there.
I don’t know.

Apple decided to wait 4 years and continues to sell butterfly keyboards at this very moment. Maybe they’ll phase them out, but it certainly seems to me they are in no hurry...likely bc it’s just not that big of a deal. It may be more than they want, but nothing like what you read here.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Apple decided to wait 4 years and continues to sell butterfly keyboards at this very moment.

Yup, and they were also forced to warranty them for 4 years because it is a faulty design. Even Apple believes the ones they sell at this very moment are faulty, if they didn't the 2019s wouldn't be included in the program.

Follow Apple's lead and acknowledge the butterfly was a failed concept, a bold try, but it didn't work well in the real world. Apple simply felt the bad press and repair program were less costly than that of an accelerated redesign.

P.S. - I didn't think it was bad until it failed, twice, I don't mind typing on it at all until it fails to work.

Reactions: Marekul

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
How about the fact that my brand new 2019 16" MBP also crashes whenever it is asleep. Especially when there is an external monitor connected.

Do you have USB devices attached when this happens? If so, try disconnecting them to determine whether that is part of the problem.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Seems like "it just works" is more wishful thinking than brand execution.

proves that Apple doesn’t care anymore - they cut corners and the same with their non-upgradable junk 16 inch MB Pro.. junk because If you buy entry model you are stuck if needs change - meaning a paper weight in the future.

Reactions: Marekul

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
This happened to mine yesterday as I left it on overnight to copy some files. I couldn’t figure out why it had switched off even though it was plugged in and charging.

did it shutdown naturally or power off abruptly?
[automerge]1575523964[/automerge]
Made in China crap with huge margins.
Build quality, Timmy, build them here in the U.S.A.

Manufacturing process and expertise in asia far exceeds what is currently in the USA in this specific field. If you think you will get better quality if it's made in the USA. I would think about that again. There is a lot of factors that go into the build quality and specific failures.

tubomac

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2013
Japan
After all the keyboards trouble, I hope Apple have learnt to "acknowledge" issues when they happen and not after years, generations of products sold ignoring the problem, class actions and countless unhappy people.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013

"The problem I have is that he’s doing all the grandstanding as Apples CEO. If he wants to be a social political activist he should retire from Apple."

Except Cook isn't doing that. He is advocating on behalf of Apple and its employees towards the US government, with respect to matters concerning Apple and its employees, as he should. It's part of his job being CEO of Apple.

"If he wants to be a social political activist he should retire from Apple."

No he shouldn't. It's his duty and obligation as CEO to standup on behalf of his employees and customers. Since Cook will never do what you want him to do, rather than carry all of that anger around for years and years, perhaps you should stand up, vote with your wallet, and retire from being an Apple customer.

The good news is there are loads of computer and tech manufactures to choose from. Simply muster up some courage and reward those with your currency whose stance and outlook is aligned with yours. I wouldn't even think twice about it if I felt as strongly as you.

whose angry? Not me. Just because someone doesn’t agree with something doesn’t make them angry. To be honest you seem angry.

I enjoy the Apple ecosystem. Why would I leave? For political differences with its temporary ceo. Please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.